The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 1, 2009, 08:50 PM   #26
Hook686

I am disabled with poor balance, weak left side strength, poor left/right coordination and walk with a cane (poor balance) quite slowly.

I prefer a revolver simply because the trigger pull is more forgiving when it comes to the variable muscle strength I experience. I found a 4" S&W 686 a really good 1st handgun.

I practice with 158 grain SJSP I load to about 50% load level (13.8 grains of Alliant 2400 with magnum CCI SP primers). I load for home security with Winchester 145 grain Silver Tip Hollow Point, or Speer 158 grain Gold Dot Hollow Point.

If your friend has strong upper body strength, these ought not be a problem. If the blast and recoil is a problem, Speer also makes 135 grain Short Barrel Gold Dot Hollow Point ammunition that I find shoots quite milder in my 4" S&W 686.

I wish your friend luck in finding a match and figure you and he will enjoy the quest.

I find reading this thread I have some interesting thoughts. Some of the posters sound like the 'anti-gun' group deciding who should, or should not have a gun. Some folks seem to think the gun will be used for evil purposes by the poor unfortunate individual, who really cannot be trusted. Some speculate on him shooting a drunk in error.

I can only offer that I would have liked a friend help me shoot a few different handguns before I made my 1st choice. I was fortunate to have a gunsmith/gun shop that I used before I became disabled help guide me in my 1st choice, the S&W 4" 686.

If the guy is not a fellon, an American citizen, and has not been adjudicated incompetent, then why does he not have the right to buy a handgun. If he has that right, why not help a disabled citizen in that quest ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Hook686; April 1, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old April 2, 2009, 02:01 AM   #27
BikerRN

Quote:
If the guy is not a fellon, an American citizen, and has not been adjudicated incompetent, then why does he not have the right to buy a handgun. If he has that right, why not help a disabled citizen in that quest ?
I agree, and if you look at my post you will see that I recommended training and knowledge, as I would for anyone.

I prefer to see a beginner start off with a good instructor to prevent any "bad habits" developing at the start.

Biker
Old April 2, 2009, 02:27 AM   #28
40s-and-wfan

I would have to echo the remarks of Jim March in post number 16 of this thread. I also would highly recommend a revolver due to its simplicity and effectiveness. I have carried and still do carry a revolver on many occasions. I prefer carrying a .357 as I can either use full-caliber loads or I can downsize to .38 Special ammunition if the need arises!
Good luck in your efforts and congrats/thank you for bringing yet another enthusiastic member to the great shooting family!! Good luck to your friend as well. May his journey be a fun and informative one!!

Forgiveness is between them and god, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
-John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)
Old April 2, 2009, 11:05 AM   #29
Jim March

I did a whole post on modifying a fanny pack, including a "dual snap" adaptation:

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread...ght=fanny+pack

I missed noting that I used 20lb test fishing line as the "thread" connecting the revised straps. It's tough as nails when used this way and due to the way it folds behind each latch the stitching is invisible.

The "dual snap" setup was just the easiest way to go in my case, and it gives me the advantage of being able to remove the rig with either hand. But for somebody in a wheelchair, it would be particularly useful as the strap behind you can be left in place while removing the "core".
Old April 2, 2009, 12:04 PM   #30
ilbob

If he is mostly looking for a SD weapon for home use, maybe a handgun is not the best choice.

A shotgun, or some kind of carbine might be the ticket.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:54 PM   #31
taz1

for goodness sakes, round up every gun you can lay your hands on and some buddies and theirs if possible and go shoot. most wepons will not even be a choice for him but i am sure with some help he can fire them all and will have a blast. you can teach him to shoot and help decide what he is best off with.
and you will probly have a friend for life.
i bet he will be up for some shooting anytime you are.
i have a cupple of friends and some buddies of dads and even 1 of pappies that come out to shoot that are disabled in various ways from amputations to old age. old joe is almost 100 and we hunt whisle pigs. which means we sit in old lawn chairs back at the creek and if i see one i shoot it. he swears he can see them but wont even be looking the right way. between his catnaps we have some great conversations.
so go have fun and probly make a new friend. he is disabled not demented. you will both know when you find the right gun.