The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 22, 2008, 05:02 PM   #26
Oquirrh

Great afternoon at range with Pyrodex

I decided to try pyrodex again because I couldn't get any BP and I was bummed out by the results with 777. Learned a couple things:
--Pyrodex did great. My 51 .36 Navy shot into great groups and functioned--well, like a '58 Remington.
--My 60 Colt also did great and it's still breaking in.
--My Pietta New Army Rem. shot into one big hole at 50'!
--My Urberti New Army.... not so good---but not bad at all 3".
I'll ad more details when I check my targets.

OK here's the crazy part. I shot some of the 777, but for the hell of it, I COMPRESSED it, just like the pyrodex. I know, compressing 777 should disrupt the time-space continuum. But it shot more accurately than than when I tried to just seat the ball on it--probably because the compression was consistent.

BTW, these were stout 777 loads in the Pietta 1858-- 34 grains of 777.

Conclusions: Pyrex is the best way for ME to go if BP isn't available. And (Pyrodex suffers from a bad rap--it cleaned up easy with soap and water, to boot.)

In my limited experiment, I compressed 777 with the underbarrel rammer and improved accuracy and didn't blow myself into next Tuesday.

I just want to say that I do NOT recommend anyone else compressing 34 grains of 777 in a '58 Remington. It might be that the saint that watches over fools and c&b shooters was working overtime.

Finally, my good day was likely a result of my becoming experienced with c/b revolvers, Treso cones, and my revs reaching optimum operational level after a bunch of tinkering and many rounds down range.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't thank the guys--which is everybody-- on this forum that helped me through the fog.

Have a good weekend, y'all--happy trails and keep your powder dry.

I'm going for the hike Saturday in a part of the Utah West Desert (Faust and west) near the Pony Express trail where the jack wabbits lurk. The Pietta '58 will be on my hip.
Old August 22, 2008, 07:15 PM   #27
long rider

The pietta will be on my hip ,
well said pard:
Old August 22, 2008, 07:17 PM   #28
long rider

OPPS FORGOT THE 58 BIT