The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2008, 08:10 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Getting brass

I just bought a rem 700 chambered in .222. Ammunition prices seem pretty expensive and on the rifle forum someone suggested I reload as the rarity of this round is what makes it more expensive. I need to buy some rounds to test the rifle and thought I might as well get some with quality brass I could reload. What factory load brands offer the best brass? I should reload brass right? Not copper or nickel?
I won't be reloading it for a while and will find someone to show me how to reload b4 I try it, but no reason to waste the factory brass i buy until then.
Old June 15, 2008, 09:23 AM   #2
sc928porsche

Most factory ammunition use good brass and any of them should suit your needs. You can also purchace factory brass from places like Midway. Unless you are going for great accuracy, the need to purchace special brass (from lupa etc) is not necessary. I also like the nickel plated brass from remington but I dont recall if they make it in your cartridge.

If you are going to get into realoading, I would suggest that you start out with a good single stage "O" press. Leave the turret and progressive presses alone untill you get proficient and understand the reloading process.
Old June 16, 2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Scorch

In my experience, Winchester and Federal factory ammunition is very accurate, but choices are limited. Hornady now loads for the 222 Remington, and ammo is very reasonable.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=580846
Old June 16, 2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Linear Thinker

John,
A few thoughts for you:

1. You bought a rifle in an exotic caliber. 222 was popular during it's fame days in 1960s, but was eclipsed by the PPCs in the 70s for benchresters, and by 223 with essentially identical ballistics for varmint shooters.

2. Since you don't reload as yet, start planning for it, as 222 is expensive to feed with factory stuff.

3. If you love that rifle and want to shoot it a lot, you can rechamber it to 223, it should be trivial for most gunsmiths. Please keep in mind that you will be limited to light bullets only, as the 222 barrel twist rate is optimized for 50/52 grain bullets. 223 ammo is much less expensive.
---

I've been reloading for a 222 40X that I bought a few decades ago from John Dewey of cleaning rod/benchrest fame. IMO: The best brass in 222 is made by Norma, RWS and Hirtenberger. If you are starting out reloading, don't worry about that - get whatever's available.

LT
Old June 16, 2008, 08:09 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

thanks. I was planning to get into reloading anyways and got a decent deal on the rifle. I knew I would have to reload for it. Just thought I would buy a few rounds to start with then reload them. I do know one guy who reloads and I am sure he will give me some pointers.