The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 19, 2004, 08:11 PM   #1
Yeti Man

30-30 load for feral hogs?

Well Campers,

I have been given an invite to hunt feral hogs in East Texas (knox county) and would like some insight from veteran hog hunters. I have a 30-30 I can run a 180gn lead flat point @2000 fps. Is this enough horsepower?, or should I use this as an excuse to buy that Marlin 1895 in 45-70 that has been calling to me all these many months?

Comments?

Thx,
Yeti Man
Old November 19, 2004, 11:01 PM   #2
mete

Get a 45-70 you'll love it ! It happens to be one of the best rounds for pigs.
Old November 20, 2004, 01:16 AM   #3
kjm

I've used 30-06 to good effect, and then sometimes they run off quite a distance. With hogs I think shot placement is key. They don't run far if shot in the head.

I guess you have to know the terrain you'll be hunting and the type of hunt you'll be going on. If I'm sitting in a stand, I use a rifle, usually 30-06. If I'm walking around stalking them through the brush, I use a 12 gage with #4 buck. I like #4 because it rolls them if you surprise one and if he rolls, he's likely not going to get up.

Hog hunting is a hoot. I just wish somebody could tell me how to get the aweful taste out of the meat so that it was edible. Our hogs eat acorns like deer, but they take on a simply awful taste unlike the deer.

As for buying the 45-70, if you have the money, I suppose it would work well, but your 30-30 is a fine rifle if you are a good and quick shot with it. If you have to learn the feel of the new rifle in short notice, you might be disappointed more than if you took a rifle you are familiar and good with.
Old December 4, 2004, 09:08 PM   #4
Mannlicher

I have taken a lot of hogs with a 30/30. Factory 170 grain Winchester Silvertips work well.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 21, 2004, 03:28 AM   #5
GLK

I don't know much about Texas or texas feral hogs. But with Florida feral hogs I'll ditto what Mannlicher said. Silver tips or PMC Starfire both made them dead right there in my experience. I use a Win/USRA trapper in 30-30 on everything from 50lb (prime eaters in my opinion) to 250-300 slobs. Feral hogs are really rather easy to kill, just don't shoot them head on is what I have always been taught(never tried it). A buddy has a de-predation permit for 2600 acres of south florida water management district land in south central FL. His gun of choice is a mini 30. I don't hit near as many as he does but mine are just as dead. Most of our shots average 50-75 yards with more than a few in the 10-15 yards range and a very few at around 100 yards.The same fellow sometimes live hunts them with dogs and when he dispatches one in the pen it is a 22mag in the ear. They drop like a brick and hardly even twitch. Here are some tusks/teeth/cutters whatever from a good sized one.
Old December 21, 2004, 09:41 AM   #6
CJNies

I would have no second thoughts about using a 30.30 on hogs, it's a good round and as stated shot placement is everything. However if I had the funds I wouldn't turn down even a feeble excuse to buy a new 45-70

KJM: I hunted hogs for years over by Corsicana and they tasted great! But we always tried to take them at 120lbs or smaller.
Old December 21, 2004, 10:01 AM   #7
Cowdogpete

Most factory 30-30 loads are just fine for hogs.

But if you're really Jonseing for a .45-70 I won't talk you out of it.

Very nice pig gun.

Smoke
Old December 21, 2004, 01:35 PM   #8
GLK

In hindsight I feel I may have spoken too quickly. These guys might be on to something in regards to the 45-70 that is calling your name(what the heck was I thinking ). If indeed your having these big bore thoughts I suggest you follow through. Not good to go against the new gun vibes. And with that particular gun you'll have more options if or when it comes to larger/dangerous game. If you happen to load your own that only adds to the fun factor for the 45-70. In any case good luck and let us know how it goes.