The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 14, 2001, 07:49 AM   #1
booker noe

Broken sistama extractor

I just cleaned a sistama 1911,and first round the extractor broke!I'm pretty familiar with 1911 types,and can't see anything i did wrong,is this common on these models?It's only had about 50 rounds through it.Not real impressed with it,mag won't funtion at all(shooting star solved that),and in general just pretty rough action.
ordered 2 extrators from the local gun shop(one ed brown and one wilson)just incase.they should be in tomorrow,anything you can suggest i look for before installation?
thanks,
Matt

Last edited by booker noe; November 14, 2001 at 11:05 PM.
Old November 14, 2001, 07:58 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Matt, go to http://www.m1911.org/technic.htm and you'll find an article by Bill Wilson on extractor tuning and installation. George
Old November 14, 2001, 03:54 PM   #3
Rocklobster

I'll guarantee that baby has had quite a few more than 50 rounds fired through it.
Old November 14, 2001, 11:03 PM   #4
booker noe

Wow!thanks alot George,looks like a good page i was unaware of.rocklobster,wachtca mean?!?If your suggesting i shot more than 50 rounds, your wrong,if you mean its used,please explain.It was bought"new in box"from a dealer i regularly frequent,as a base for a project gun.I had heard somewhere these were refurbished,but my dealer said no.
Matt
Old November 15, 2001, 12:01 AM   #5
jim-alex

booker noe:
I think what rocklobster meant was that if your 1911 is a Sistema
Model 1927 Colt, it was made in Argentina sometime probably from 1930's to mid-40's. Seems likely that it may have been shot a few times during that period. All the models I have seen have been refinished very well, I guess by the Argentine armory. I have one and with a few modifications I am quite pleased. Check out a web site called cruffler.com - has a lot of good info on these.
Best regards,
Jim
Old November 15, 2001, 09:02 PM   #6
Rocklobster

Hey,booker-noe,sorry-didn't mean to sound snotty-didn't realize you weren't familiar with the history of the Colt Sistema.

Right,jim-alex-actually they were made from 1927-1960.Just about all the ones we're getting these days are arsenal reworks.But,believe me me,most of them have had 88 gillion rounds through them.

You definitely did good by replacing the mag-all of the ones I know of come with sorry units.I replaced the extractor,disconnector,hammer,sear,and trigger on mine.Now it shoots just as well as any of my box-stock Colt Govt. Models.

Your dealer told you a fib,or didn't know either.
Old November 15, 2001, 09:09 PM   #7
Rocklobster

Oh.BTW,replaced the barrel and recoil spring,too-both were slap worn out.

Please excuse the extra me-believe me me sounds kinda stupid...
Old November 16, 2001, 07:33 AM   #8
booker noe

Thanks for the info guys,I guess i'll have to break out the Brownells catalog and get a few more parts(GEE!whata bummer )
Matt