The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 6, 2012, 10:34 AM   #51
Mike Irwin
Staff

Mauser HsC. I so wanted to love it. But it was unreliable as all hell, so I got rid of it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:38 PM   #52
temmi

A glock 21

It's not a bad gun

Just the worst

Snake
Old December 6, 2012, 01:55 PM   #53
Lordy123

I foolishly traded a S&W bodyguard .380 for a Chiappa 1911-22 and $150 cash. The bodyguard suffered from a light striker and I hastily decided it wasn't worth my time, since the guy wasn't concerned about that I went ahead with the trade. Should have just sent it to S&W to fix.

The Chiappa jammed wayy too frequently, and I'd have to say it's the worst gun I've owned. I ended up trading it for a running yz250, so it all worked out in the end

Sidenote:

I still have an extra 6 round mag for the bodygaurd, I was going to put it up for free in the FS section but I can't post there yet. First person to PM me their address can have it.

Last edited by Lordy123; December 6, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old December 6, 2012, 02:58 PM   #54
wizrd

CVA .50 cal. percussion muzzleloader. Only went 'BANG' 65 % of the time, now hangs on the wall - 100% of the time. It did cost me a trophy buck one season.
Old December 6, 2012, 06:46 PM   #55
iraiam

Llama 9mm, can't remember the model.

Jam-Omatic and innacurate, good thing it was cheap. I traded it off cheap to a gunsmithing student who wanted to work on it. I specifically told him not to rely on it for defensive purposes.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old December 6, 2012, 07:29 PM   #56
PT-92

Never owned a lemon.

However, I did inherit an old Stevens shotgun that my dad somehow obtained via a pawn store deal of some sort back in the day...Extractor was bad and it was in a bad way finish wise as well. Fixed the extractor where it would properly eject and wound up giving it away to a neighbor years ago when I lived in CO..They shot trap with it for the few years I lived there prior to moving (miss that part of the country).

--HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Old December 6, 2012, 08:41 PM   #57
DFrame

I had an Erma 22 Luger look alike. It NEVER EVER fired a complete magazine without jamming. Got rid of it as quickly as I could.
Old December 6, 2012, 09:34 PM   #58
ripnbst

Mine was a Para Ordnance CCO 1911 .45. Every time I shot it something broke. Extractor, barrel bushing, it was always something.

Their CS was great but I just couldn't trust it. And I really wanted to, I loved that gun but it was just too problematic. Sold it after sending it back to Para to make sure it was 100% before the sale.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:45 AM   #59
Yung.gunr

I was one of the ten people to buy a Beretta 9000S. That was the biggest jam-o-matic I have ever seen. I had it for two years and tried everything I could think of to get it to run right. Never did so it became trade fodder at the LGS.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:17 PM   #60
orionengnr

Easy. A Rossi M68/69? (blued snub 5-shot .38 Spl.) Think I paid ~$60 for it, back in 1982 or so. Bought at an estate sale. Figured I couldn't go too far wrong for that price. Boy, did I miss that call.

Stupid thing would fire one round, and the cylinder would come unlatched, and move outward about 1/16"...just enough that a subsequent trigger pull did nothing at all.

Slap the cylinder back into battery, it would fire one more round, and repeat the process.

I replaced the ejector rod and spring, checked the cylinder release, checked the hole in the frame where the ejector rod locked in...nothing obvious.

Wasted a lot of time/effort/ammo (since I lived in CA at the time, each new "fix" required a range trip to test).

When I ran out of ideas (I am mechanically inclined, and was an aircraft mech (A&P) at the time) I surrendered and took it to a gun shop. Not to say that this guy knew anything, but after telling him everything I had done, he told me that it would cost more to fix it than it was worth.

I took his word for it. Took it home, beat the fire out of it with a sledge hammer (great stress-relief therapy) and threw it in a lake.

End result was that it gave me a case of revolver aversion disorder that lasted about 20 years.

I finally overcame my disorder when I expressed an interest in an S&W M66 on GunBroker around 2004. Wife bought it for me for my b-day, (bless her) and the pieces fell into place. I have owned a number of S&Ws since then, and finally have an appreciation of revolvers.

Never too late for an old dog to learn new tricks....

Best regards, Rich
Old December 7, 2012, 09:22 PM   #61
9mmsnoopy

Walther PPK/S
Bushmaster AR15
Old December 7, 2012, 09:41 PM   #62
GrailKnight

A Ruger Mk III bull barrel.
I still have it but may give it to my nephew to abuse at the range.
Old December 8, 2012, 01:15 AM   #63
Biner

Haven't had any real lemons, but I'd have to say my S&W Bodyguard 380 was my least favorite. The absolute worst trigger I've even used, and it was very difficult for me to shoot consistently. Never had any failures or mechanical problems with it, but I wasn't heartbroken when it was stolen from my car. (More upset with the need to replace my driver's window.)
Old December 8, 2012, 07:00 PM   #64
mk70ss

My early production Sig Mosquito .22. That gun wouldn't feed anything and I wanted to throw it in the trash I was so frustrated with it.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:35 AM   #65
Terry A

Llama Commanchee 6 inch .357mag. It rattled bad and spit even worse. Traded it in for a Ruger GP-100 4 inch.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old December 9, 2012, 03:37 PM   #66
publius

FIE .22 single action. My first sidearm purchase when I was @ 16 working on the farm. Think I paid $50 for it. Barrel/cylinder gap was gigantic and man it was loud, bad sites, horrible finish. It was reliable though. Only gun I ever sold that I have no regrets of doing.
Old December 9, 2012, 05:26 PM   #67
zombieslayer

I've had two HORRIBLE pistols.
A Raven .25
A Rohm .22
I have the Rohm as a paperweight, and I only keep it because I remeber shooting it a a kid with my brother.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:05 PM   #68
pete2

I guess the worst I ever owned was a S&W Model 24 made in the 1980's. I bought it new, worst trigger ever on an S&W gun. Rear of bbl was cut at an angle, gap was like .011 on left side 0..4 on the right, gun would not shoot a group[. Chambers were about .004 oversized. Sent it back to S&W 3 times, they didn't care. They reblued the cylinder the second time a different color blue. I don't still have it.
The second worst is a Kimber Custom II. It's the only gun I've ever bought new that didn't work. It would go to slide lock on the next to last round about half the time. Kimber sent me a modified slide lock. Said if this didn't correct it the gun would have to go back to Kimber for repair. It didn't repair it. I dimpled the slide stop and now it's OK. I had to file the front sight down because it shoots low. I still shoot it but it'll never be one of my favorites.
I really hate to buy anything that doesn't work brand new. Even the Taurus I had worked most of the time.

A new gun ought to at least function.
Old December 12, 2012, 01:26 AM   #69
Loronzo

Beretta Neo S .22 I bought new a few months ago. Instuction manual was wrong in the wording on how to dissasemble it. Cleaned it throughly and it still jams/misfeeds. I've never traded in a gun before but after dealing with this lemon I'm tempted to send it back to beretta then trade it in for a GSG or something else... Sadly its the first beretta I've ever bought and will probally never own another one.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:14 AM   #70
micromontenegro

I had one of the very last Series 70, made around 1983. Got it about two years ago, almost unfired. Oh boy, there was a reason it was used so little. It was so roughly finished on the inside that it would jam at least once in each magazine. The extractor had about the same tension as a sleeping puppy. The slide stop was so tight that it took the plunger housing out with it. Ammo cycled thru it looked like it had been blasted with small steel bearings. But, truth be told, after about 1-1/2 hours of polishing and fixing the beforementioned issues, the thing ran like a clock. I regret letting it go.

I never trusted my Charter Arns AR-7. Surprisingly accurate despite its atrocious trigger, but it would jam too often for my taste.

And then there was this Taurus revolver I didn't keep, in the early 80's. Don't remember a model number. Testing it at the range, it seemed to spit more lead to the sides than from the front!
Old December 12, 2012, 10:20 AM   #71
bird_dog

When I first got my handgun permit, I bought a used (yet beautifully pristine) Dan Wesson in 357, with an 8-inch barrel.

Once loaded, it locked up about every fourth round -- AND, despite polishing the cylinder, the full length .357 mag shells ALWAYS stuck, requiring a dowel and a crapload of effort to pound them out.

Very accurate gun, but I never shot more than a few dozen rounds through it.

I realized, when I traded it, that it still looked like it was in pristine condition. BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SHOOT IT.

Argh.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:24 AM   #72
L_Killkenny

I've had 3 stinkers, A Bryco 9mm, a Raven .25 and a Henry AR7. The only one still around is the Raven. It was free and lack of resale keep it in the dark recesses of the gun safe.
Old December 13, 2012, 03:09 PM   #73
9mm

Quote:
I'm hoping to get a 50-60 year old Rohm 22 short revolver that has been in the family for years. POS but sentimental value. That will be the worst.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6aITmhDmV8 Wow, he says when you fire a round, its 50/50, of the bullet going out the barrel and 50% of lead coming back on your hands to burn it.

Quote:
Alchemy Arms SPECTRE

horrible never got to shoot the thing, broke it self after a few days of drills (snap cap in the pipe)
LOL!
Old December 13, 2012, 03:29 PM   #74
WIN71

Off the top of my head, two of the worst were;

1. Iver Johnson "Viking". Gave it away around 1959

2. Llama in .38 super. Traded it around 1965

Since then I have tried to do a little more checking prior to purchase.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:13 PM   #75
Texshooter

Glock 31