The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2010, 09:11 PM   #1
MrBump

New load (to me) help

Good evening, I'll try and keep it short and sweet.

-In regards to a Bushmaster AR15, 16' with 1-9twist.

-I Have 1500 FMJ & SS109 62g bullets to load, I'll be using TAC powder.

I have 4 manuals, only two have any data for this load.

-Noslers' states either 60g or 69g bullets, max load 24.5 grains with 2.260 OAL....

-My other manual, a generic .223 Manual, states either 60g or 63g bullets, max load 25.5-25.8 grains with 2.250 OAL....

I would normally start about 10 percent less than max load per my data and work up from there if needed. However, my manuals haven't been that drastic in difference before. Just wanted to cover my rear a little bit here.

I was thinking to start at Noslers max ( 24.5g ) and 2.260 OAL. Any one have any recipes to share? Perhaps those with more manuals/experiance than myself have any data on this ?

Thanks in advance,

Bump
Old February 2, 2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Sevens

I can't help much, but I'll give one suggestion and bump your thread to the top at the same time.

Accurate/Western markets the Ramshot brand and they offer their current printed guide on their website in .pdf format.
http://www.ramshot.com/powders/loadg...de%20V4.3b.pdf

Print it out and take it to the bench and you now have yet another published source of data when using Ramshot powders.
Old February 2, 2010, 10:57 AM   #3
A_Gamehog

Try this to start

http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

I like Tac for this 55-70 Grain range. Work up to somewhere around 24-25 grains, my load is over max. so i don't think you
need that now.
Old February 2, 2010, 09:15 PM   #4
MrBump

Thanks you both very much, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm off to load

Cheers
Old February 3, 2010, 12:19 AM   #5
A_Gamehog

One other thing for you

Nosler lists the most accurate powder, then in that powder is an astrick indicating the most accurate load with that powder. Some powders are more accurate with heavy loads or filling the case more. This load book gives clues as to the % full case volume. Some loaders want performance over everything else. Barrel longevity is increased when you choose an accurate powder with the astrick on a more modest load (close to start). Sometimes the max loads burn cleaner than the min. loads. That would matter when you are shooting Praire Dogs all day. Cleaning in the field cuts into shooting time!

Sierra also has accuracy loads as you have seen.

The Lyman's recent Loads edition 49 also has accuracy loads, I like this book more and more as a resource. Very accurate data with an Unbiased usage of powders.

Sierra is very conservative, use their loads with confidence. Look and compare loads given to you from Internet "friends" with data published from Sierra.

Last edited by A_Gamehog; February 5, 2010 at 09:17 PM.