The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2010, 09:43 PM   #26
frogsaw

I have a Dillon XL650 and love it. The conversion the press from one caliber to another is painless. Also, the press will reload most rifle and pistol calibers.
Old January 30, 2010, 10:18 PM   #27
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInPA
Quick update. The LNL broke after loading four rounds. Literally. The inch or so section of the ram that the shell plate screw goes into broke clean off the rest of the ram. I have no idea how. I went and it exchanged it for a new press this morning and loaded 400 rounds on the new press today. No problems.
Wow. Had to have been a bad casting. With all the abuse I've given mine getting it figured out (and jamming those %&*#@$ Wolf primers into my .40 S&W brass), yours must've been defective.

I've loaded nearly 3,500 rounds in mine since December 17th.
Old January 30, 2010, 10:23 PM   #28
David Wile

Hey Dave,

You bought a very good product that will last forever if treated decently. I bought my LNL AP back in 1997, and the only part I ever had to replace was a spring for the shellholder. They are made tough.

Before you spend the bucks on a casefeeder, find someone who uses one and ask him if you could observe it in use. I have a friend who has a casefeeder, and I do not think it adds much to the reloading throughput. I do find it is another thing to have to adjust and tinker with to keep it operating, and I hate the noise it makes. Personally, I like placing the empty case in the first station. If you see one in use and like it, go for it, but don't think you need a casefeeder to increase your production throughput because it simply does not make that much of a difference.

Take your time when dealing with primer issues which can arise as you start leaning how the machine works. The primer mechanism may need adjustments when changing from one primer size to another to keep the primer shuttle lined up in its track. You also have to keep the shuttle and track clean to make the alignment thing work. For lubing the shuttle and track, use dry graphite powder.

Have fun with your new machine. I live in Mechanicsburg (near Harrisburg); if I can ever be of help, please send me a PM.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 30, 2010, 10:28 PM   #29
David Wile

Hey Dave,

One more thing, I am collecting information on LNL presses on this thread
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=395499 . How about checking it out and responding if you do not mind.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 31, 2010, 05:59 PM   #30
BADZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldog
Don't buy Hornady's powder thru expanders. Buy one of these instead: http://www.powderfunnels.com/
It will make life MUCH EASIER.
I couldn't agree more. The Hornady expanders are terrible.
Old January 31, 2010, 06:47 PM   #31
David Wile

Hey Dave,

It is not my intention to discredit what BADZ and Waldog have suggested about powder through expander dies, but in my experience I have never found a need for any such items. I also do no find any need for a powder cop. The case activated powder dispenser is very accurate, and I can clearly see the powder in the case when I am placing the bullet to be seated. You have to "feel" the machine do its work, and you will learn by that feel that it is working properly. When I am loading with my progressive shotshell as well as metallic presses, they "talk" to me through what I feel in my hands while operating them.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 31, 2010, 06:59 PM   #32
Bronco4me

To each his own. I personally don't use a PTX either, instead having a dedicated powder drop, then a powder cop die and finally a seat and crimp station. Works great for thousands and thousands of rounds so far...

Of course YMMV...
Old January 31, 2010, 07:53 PM   #33
winchester243

Quote:
Don't buy Hornady's powder thru expanders. Buy one of these instead: http://www.powderfunnels.com/
It will make life MUCH EASIER.
Does anyone know if these will work with the RCBS case activated powder drops?
Old January 31, 2010, 09:45 PM   #34
DaveInPA

Right now my die setup for .40 is:

Station 1: Resize/deprime with EGW undersize die
Station 2: Case mouth flare
Station 3: Powder drop
Station 4: Seat
Station 5: Lee factory crimp die

Working great so far.