The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 8, 2008, 03:47 PM   #26
gandog56

My only 8mm is a Steyr M95.
Old December 10, 2008, 03:04 PM   #27
jfruser

A Turk and a Yugo Mauser hold up the 8x57 in my closet.
Old December 10, 2008, 03:26 PM   #28
Dr. Strangelove

Wow. Makes we wish I had bought some Hakims years ago. When I was in high school, you could buy them out of a barrel in the local gun shop for something like $50.00, if I remember right?
Old December 10, 2008, 05:24 PM   #29
MJ1

That was then and now a barrel full would be worht what?

Old December 22, 2008, 01:22 PM   #30
Vergeltung

I just joined the 8mm club! I have a Mauser 98k, made in Steyr, Austria in 1941, and is an RC. 80-90% matching serial numbers, but, my hunch is that the furniture is from a later year.

love shooting it. taking it upstate for Christmas break, for some deep woods shootin'

Last edited by Vergeltung; December 22, 2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: schpellink
Old December 22, 2008, 07:16 PM   #31
kraigwy

Sorry for the Poopie picture. But this is my 8mm project. MANNILICHER SCHOENAUER Kal 8 NCRM which is the 8 MM short or 8 X 51. When I got the barreled action it had been butchered, rechambered to 7mm. I'm planning on restoring it to original. Problem being, the 8X51 was a .318 bore, not the .323 normal 8mm's. I got the reamer and head space gages but I'm having problems finding a barrel.

Also Reloading data is gonna be fun too. The only mention I've found on it was from Sharps Modern Reloading. He mentions the 8X51 but only says, 'IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE, YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN".

Oh well, it it was easy, it wouldnt be fun.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 22, 2008, 07:25 PM   #32
Vergeltung

sweet project! best of luck with it. you're right about the hard = fun part.
Old January 2, 2009, 07:49 PM   #33
archangele

I have a 1930 vintage Persian Mauser that is in real nice shape.
I hand load for it and have had pretty good luck with the Nosler 180 gr and the Sierra HPBT Match 200 gr bullets. This has been the only rifle that I can hit torso sized targets with at 600 yards with open sights. I'd like to pick up a Hakim, but the prices around here have skyrocketed for those.
Old January 2, 2009, 10:04 PM   #34
Gewehr98

Somebody once cut up a nice 1917 Amberg Gewehr98...

And the owner of the surgically altered rifle owed me money, so I got it as partial payment.

I couldn't leave it in the hacked military stock, and the barrel had already been bobbed, so I did the next best thing, even though I'm usually loathe to sporterize nice milsurps.

I had a new bolt handle welded on, and when traveling in Europe during Desert Storm, I found a nice walnut sporter stock. The receiver was drilled and tapped, an 11-degree target crown was cut, Remington 700 iron backup sights were added, as was a Timney trigger, low-swing safety, and new Wolff striker spring. I had the barreled action parkerized, then glass-bedded it into the new stock.

It's become my favorite deer rifle in the collection. The vintage Weaver V8 variable kind of ties in the 1960s-vintage sporter appearance, yet doesn't overwhelm the rifle like some of the big objective lens scopes seen out there these days.

I handload 170-220gr rounds for the old girl, and have taken both Wyoming Elk and Wisconsin Whitetail. It ain't much in the aesthetics department, but it definitely does the job.

I've since converted that 8mm Mauser to 2-piece scope bases, and I've got a nice original Mauser double-set trigger to install later on.

It keeps an 8mm FN-49 company in one of my gun safes, and my two stepsons each have their own full-military Turkish 98 Mausers, so 8x57 is rather popular in our household.

Neural Misfires
Old January 2, 2009, 10:29 PM   #35
DoctorXring

Oooooo LaLa. That is a nice sporter. I love guns like that.

DS triggers should perfect it !

dxr

Old January 3, 2009, 06:08 PM   #36
Wulfmann

I have been thinning my 8MM Mauser downs and have 14 now
One is a repro K98k sniper, 4 are mostly matching, 4 are RC K98k, 3 are M24/47 and 2 are M48s (one is a BO)
I also have 2 K98k and one VZ24 converted to 308 with new Norwegian K98k NATO barrels. The VZ24 is in K98k configuration

No offense, there is no such thing as an RC that is 80-90% matching.
They were stripped to the last part and only the barrel remained with the receiver. Russian electro pencil is not considered a match. It would be easier to find a lost winning lotto ticket that an 80% matched RC.

I will sell 3 of the 4 RCs at some point but one will remain with me.
The pictured BYF42.
It has no "X", I removed the RC blue, refinished the stock, replaced the bolt with an all matching bolt, replaced the trigger guard and floor plate with a set that matches each other and changed other parts so all parts are Oberndorf and same WaA inspection stamps.
Why do all this? I was getting some 3 inch groups at 200 yards iron sites.
I since put a scout rifle mount on it and first 5 round group was 1.5 inches all with Yugo 50's ammo.
Wulfmann

Old January 3, 2009, 08:09 PM   #37
eric_2902

I'd like to buy a couple of 8MMs from surplus but not really sure where to look

Whats the best deal I can get on a couple of military surplus 8MM rifles? I am looking to buy a couple different variety of surplus rifles for me and my son so we can have some fun (I mean quality bonding time).

Thanks
Old January 5, 2009, 01:17 PM   #38
The Lovemaster

A little OT, but I came across a few interesting cases while sorting my range brass recently. They are marked with the Roman numeral "VIII", which I assume means 8mm, at twelve o'clock, "19" at 9:00 and "38" at 3:00, which I assume is the year, and they have the Third Reich wing and swastika at 6:00. The quandrants are separated by lines.

Anyone know if these are worth anything beyond the 1x fired brass?

Thanks.
Old January 5, 2009, 01:22 PM   #39
Vergeltung

L-master, those are hard to come by! the last batch I saw on the inner-netz was sold out too fast to get them (the ones I saw were complete rounds, in original boxes, etc).

how did you come across them,? were they in with some MilSurp stuff you had? maybe some re-loads?

I definately think they are worth keeping! if not, I'll take 'em off your hands!
Old January 5, 2009, 02:26 PM   #40
The Lovemaster

No lie, I got them on a recent range trip, which means someone actually fired them. I am fairly incredulous at that, because I would never have fired them. I'm guessing there were more there, but we didn't get them. They look very similar to 7.62x54R, which I never pick up due to the berdan primers. It's more likely one of my kids picked these up. They're pretty cool looking, I want to polish one and see how it looks, but I'm sure that would lower its value.
Old January 5, 2009, 03:08 PM   #41
Vergeltung

heck, in any condition they'd make great bookshelf ornaments &/or conversation pieces. nice find!!
Old February 25, 2009, 02:44 PM   #42
beeker77

8mm Ammo, Rifles

I have about 5k rounds of WW2 German 8mm, including 6 or 7 battle carrier boxes (with the cotton ribbon carrying handle), 2k of Romanian in spam cans, 1k of Yugo milsurp, a couple hundred WW2 FN, and more assorted 8mm milsurp in smaller quantities. To shoot all this, I have a Yugo-reworked K98k, a Mitchell's Mauser K98K (I know, ...Boo - Hissss), a 1916 Amberg Gew98, Yugo 24/47, Persian M29, Czech M22, 195? Hakim, and probably a couple more I can't think of right now. Yep, the 8mm is a shoulder thumper, but what a manly system!
Old February 26, 2009, 08:33 AM   #43
Vergeltung

damn bruddah, you have that much actual german 8mm ammo? Jealous does not even begin to describe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 26, 2009, 02:01 PM   #44
Wulfmann

LM, the only 8MM stamped with a swastika was the 8X56R.

No 8X57 or 8MM Mauser was ever so marked as I have been told and have read.

The spent cases have little value really but I would hold on to them anyway as who knows what will happen later.

Wulfmann
Old February 26, 2009, 02:52 PM   #45
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lovemaster
A little OT, but I came across a few interesting cases while sorting my range brass recently. They are marked with the Roman numeral "VIII", which I assume means 8mm, at twelve o'clock, "19" at 9:00 and "38" at 3:00, which I assume is the year, and they have the Third Reich wing and swastika at 6:00. The quandrants are separated by lines.
My psychic powers tell me that these cases are rimmed, have a slight taper, and are approximately 56mm in length.

How'm I doin' so far?

Wartime berdan-primed 8x56mmR for a Steyr-Mannlicher. Before Graf's started selling new-production reloadable ammunition, it was worth saving the Jerry stuff to try and reload it. Now? Unless you have some antique brass collecting fetish, I'd just toss it.