The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2008, 01:54 PM   #1
lonewolf5348

Speer Bullets Hot Core Line ?

I was looking in to the speer hot core in .284 SP bullet in the 7MM-08
any pro or cons on speer bullets?
I would like to here from guys who load the BTSP bullet in this same cal. and how it will perform on whitetails under 100 yard shot?
I know the Boat tail bullet has the larger B.C. and less drag but will it work at distance under 100 yard shots
130-139 grain
Old June 15, 2008, 02:44 PM   #2
snuffy

I have used the Speer 145 hot cor SP flat base. Loaded in my Ruger .280, I took several whitetails, the bullets worked just fine. Although that particular .280 never lived up to the potential of the cartridge, the bullets made 2600 fps at max loads.

The claim that Speer makes about the "hot cor" is the lead is poured into the cup/jacket, then the point is formed cold. Theory has it that eliminates any voids and forms a simple bond with the jacket. They work as good as any other cup&core bullet made.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 16, 2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Paul B.

I've used the Speer 165 gr. Hot-core in my .308 for deer. They work just fine. I've also used the Speer 200 gr. Hot-core from my .300 Win. mag and they killed an elk just fine. The only .284" Speer hot-cores I have are the 160 gr. bullet which I plan to work up an elk and Black Bear load for my 7x57 Winchester M70 Featherweight.
The ones I shot so far have proven to be accurate and results on der from the .308, well all but one have been complete pass through. The recover hit the deer as it faced me head on at 250 yards. The bullet darn near wwent all the way through the deer lengthwise and probably would still be going yet except it hit a back leg bone breaking it.
Yeah, I like the Speer Hot-cores.
Paul B.
Old June 16, 2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Scorch

I used the Speer 145 gr Hot-Cor bullets many years ago in my 7X57 loaded to 2700 fps. On a trip I took, I shot a nice pig in the chest with it at 150 yds or so, and the pig took off. After tracking it down into a ravine I had to shoot it again (head shot this time). The first shot did not expand at all, it left a pencil-sized hole going in and about the same size coming out. Little or no expansion apparently.

The next day I shot another pig at the base of the neck crossing through the chest (a tough angle), and it took off running just like the one the day before. When I finally found the pig about 1 mile away, it had a small exit wound right behind the off-side shoulder, and the bullet had crossed the chest as intended, but there was little of the damage to arteries/blood vessels that I would have expected considering it had just traversed the arterial trunk. It essentially acted like a FMJ bullet, with little or no expansion.

I pulled all of the rest of my loads and quit loading Speer bullets after that and switched to Hornady bullets, and eventually to Noslers, which I still use. In my experience, Speer bullets work very well at higher velocities typical of magnums (I used Speers in my 8mm RemMag and 375 H&H), but not at the lower velocities typical of rifles like the 7X57 and 7-08.