The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2005, 09:41 PM   #1
youngblood

Two questions

I am trying to get a single shot 20 or 12 gauge from from wally world. Can any one tell me why these types of guns (the new single shots NEF) are so inexpensive and are they worth the money or just give one head ache after another.

And on an unrelated question what does "DR. EQ" stand for on the box of shot shells

Thanks
JAke

Benelli Nova 20 gauge

Last edited by youngblood; September 9, 2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old September 8, 2005, 09:48 PM   #2
mosinjoe

They (the NEF firearms) are rock solid ,well made single barrel shotguns that will serve you a long time.I'm looking into aquiring one for small game because they are light, handy to shoulder, and very safe to carry due to the fact that they are breakdown type actions. I like the Topper series in black and chrome but would not thumb my nose to a Pardner series.
Old September 8, 2005, 09:57 PM   #3
jrklaus

Can't help with your first paragraph's question (because I've never shot them), but the Dr. Eq. stands for "Dram Equivalent," which is supposed to refer to a velocity equivalent to that same load of black powder. It is not used much anymore, except that generally when comparing them to each other, a higher dram equivalent number means a higher velocity. One shouldn't reload according to a dram equivalent, but instead according to manufacturer's directions in grains.
Old September 9, 2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Mike P.

NEF aka H&R make good guns. I've owned several and have their .22lr/.410 combo currently. Go with the 20 gauge. The 12 will beat you to pieces.
Old September 9, 2005, 12:35 PM   #5
Star54

"DR. EQ"

Dram equivalent is the amount of smokeless powder in the shell that equals the equivalent of the old black powder...ie; if it says 3 1/4 dram, each shell has enough powder to equal 3 1/4 drams of black powder. This effects velocity only when you compare the amount of shot in the shell...

Star54
Old September 9, 2005, 03:38 PM   #6
dakotashooter2

Star is pretty close. Actually this term is pretty much useless to anyone under about 60 becuse unless you have fired a black powder load there is no need for the comparison. In effect a certain "dram" charge would obtain a given velocity but velocities were not listed on the boxes back then. In the transition from black powder to smokeless the ammo makers wanted shooters to have an equivielincy reference between the two to let shooter know that the magnum smokeless load at 1475 FPS was the same load as the shooters old 3 1/2 dram (just an example). Then add to the mix that in some cases you are compairing steel loads to lead and it becomes even more meaningless. I'm not sure why the ammo companies haven't dropped it altogether. Performance of loads has improved so much since the BP loads that I'm not sure the info is even valid anymore and the shooters that needed the reference are either dead or have long since adapted to the new terminology.