The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2021, 07:21 PM   #1
HistoryJunky

Glock's great carry gun they don't make

As I have posted recently, I have been considering a Gen 5 G26. I haven't got my hands on one yet to decide if I really want it or something else.

Anyways, it got me thinking. Why doesn't Glock make a G26 size frame with a 19 length barrel and slide? It seems like a perfect idea for a carry gun that can still take standard Glock mags.

While we're at it, why not make a G43 "longslide"?

I didn't include the G43X because the G48 exists and the G43X has the same grip length(?)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 7, 2021, 07:51 PM   #2
amd6547

Well, you could just drop a G19 barrel in the G26…
Some people do cut a G19 grip to G26 specs.
Personally, I’m perfectly happy with the G26 just as it is. My Gen3 is a “never sell” pistol for me.
Old May 7, 2021, 08:13 PM   #3
TunnelRat

It’s an idea that’s been floated a number of times over the years. Some people modify Glocks or buy the parts to accomplish this. My guess is if Glock thought it would sell in large numbers they would make it already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 7, 2021, 09:43 PM   #4
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
Well, you could just drop a G19 barrel in the G26…
Personally, I’m perfectly happy with the G26 just as it is. My Gen3 is a “never sell” pistol for me.
I have considered doing that. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that myself, but I'm guessing there are companies that would do it for a price.

I just wish it was available in a factory gun. I suppose the G19 barrel in a 26 might work?

Old May 8, 2021, 02:31 AM   #5
Alan0354

Barrel of G19 is only 0.6" longer(from 4.02" to 3.63"), what improvement are you looking for going through the trouble to change barrel and all that? I just don't see any significant difference going through all the trouble. You might run into reliability problem monkeying with this.......Unless you are thinking about using the extra length to fit a silencer.!!!

You might be much better off buying another brand gun that fit what you want instead of wasting money on a G19 barrel(might need a new recoil spring and so on...) and more ammo($$$) to test out the reliability.

Last edited by Alan0354; May 8, 2021 at 02:43 AM.
Old May 8, 2021, 07:04 AM   #6
Donald duck

The real question is why can't Glock make a 10 shot 9mm the size of the Sig 365?
Old May 8, 2021, 07:43 AM   #7
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
It’s an idea that’s been floated a number of times over the years. Some people modify Glocks or buy the parts to accomplish this. My guess is if Glock thought it would sell in large numbers they would make it already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's really that simple.

I have no use for such a configuration, especially since the 26 tends to shoot just as accurate as a 19 anyway..
Old May 8, 2021, 03:01 PM   #8
Alan0354

I am pretty sure 26 is as accurate as 19, it's already 3.43" barrel, 0.6" is NOT going to make it more accurate. It's not like comparing 2" to 3" barrel, that would be a huge difference. Besides, there are a lot more to accuracy than just the barrel length. All the slob that improve reliability will kill the accuracy. You have to have everything very tight, no slob in order to be accurate and consistent, that hurts reliability. I don't think both 19 and 26 are consider accurate. Hell, my S&W 659 has at least 4" barrel, it shoots all over the place. My Gold Cup is about 4" barrel, it's super accurate. It's not just the barrel length.

BUT, the extra 0.6" will provide exposed length to fit a silencer!!!

Last edited by Alan0354; May 8, 2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old May 8, 2021, 03:37 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The real question is why can't Glock make a 10 shot 9mm the size of the Sig 365?
While Gaston Glock is alive, the magazines are going to remain the way they are. A metal tube sheathed in plastic. The plastic adds to the outer dimension of the magazine and that means that for a given size magazine, the capacity is reduced compared to a metal magazine without the plastic sheathing.
Quote:
Besides, there are a lot more to accuracy than just the barrel length.
All else being equal, making a barrel longer will not improve accuracy at all.
Old May 8, 2021, 03:58 PM   #10
eflyguy

I quit carrying my G26 the day I got my G43.

From my own perspective, there is no need for what you describe.

I initially gave the 26 to my daughter, who now carries a single-stack Shield, and my 26 lives in the glove box when needed. The Shield and 43 are virtually identical in every respect, she is just more comfortable carrying with a round chambered having the thumb safety.

They all shoot the same for us, but this is my opinion only.
Old May 8, 2021, 04:00 PM   #11
Desmosedici

What would extending the barrel on a concealment piece like the G26 do? I'm certainly open to new ideas I don't necessarily agree with, but this one, which is floated frequently, I just don't get.
Old May 8, 2021, 04:09 PM   #12
HighValleyRanch

Here's a really of thread of mine from 2005 when I did my first glock chop. Cut my glock 19 down to a 26 grip length.
So this is a way old idea!LOL
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181148

In my case, I already owned the 2nd gen glock 19 so instead of purchasing a new gun, I cut mine down.

Same this year when I chopped my glock 21c down to a glock 19 size grip.
Longer than the glock 30, but shorter grip than the glock 21.
Would be the perfect gun if it weren't so darn thick!LOL

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; May 8, 2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old May 8, 2021, 04:19 PM   #13
pete2

Guys, try a 9 mm Shield EZ, you might never shoot another Glock.
Old May 8, 2021, 04:20 PM   #14
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
Here's a really of thread of mine from 2005 when I did my first glock chop. Cut my glock 19 down to a 26 grip length.
So this is a way old idea!LOL
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181148

In my case, I already owned the 2nd gen glock 19, and the "new" 26 had just come out a year or two, so instead of purchasing a new gun, I cut mine down.

Same this year when I chopped my glock 21c down to a glock 19 size grip.
Longer than the glock 30, but shorter grip than the glock 21.
Would be the perfect gun if it weren't so darn thick!LOL
Can you provide a picture? I followed your link, there's no picture or link anymore. I am curious to see.
Old May 8, 2021, 04:29 PM   #15
HighValleyRanch

LOL, the thread was so old, that the original photos had been deleted from my old server, but thanks to google, I found the original photo since it was one of the earliest chop jobs!
By the way, Kahr arms had already been doing this with their then "Covert" models. Funny that these days, the trend is shorter barrel with longer grip as in the glock 43x and 48x, and so Kahr's now Covert model is the PM size with the P grip. How things change with the trends!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 2.23.48 PM.png (615.2 KB, 400 views)
Old May 8, 2021, 05:14 PM   #16
Alan0354

How can you make it so perfect?!! You even rounded the edges out and looks like it's factory made. Nice.

I really like it.
Old May 8, 2021, 05:29 PM   #17
unclenunzie

A number of years ago I bought a NIB Kahr TP45 for $340, and cut the grip so it would take flush 6 round mags and the 7-rounders. The current trends have been compact grip with short slides, which personally I found weird. But people like them, obviously.

I more recently opted for the G48 which is identical to the G43x except for having a longer barrel and slide. The other more recent trend is the P365 type, 10+1 (or more) in what in the past would be a single stack pocket 9.

If Glock wanted to make a 19 "Covert" / 26 "long slide", they could, but they are in this to make money and I'm not seeing how many of either type would sell. At least compared to the market already filled by 19 and 26 size and shape pistols.

I would bet Glock has people constantly looking at potential markets that could scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160420_211055-20-40.jpg (69.2 KB, 390 views)
Old May 8, 2021, 08:20 PM   #18
HistoryJunky

Quote:
LOL, the thread was so old, that the original photos had been deleted from my old server, but thanks to google, I found the original photo since it was one of the earliest chop jobs!

By the way, Kahr arms had already been doing this with their then "Covert" models. Funny that these days, the trend is shorter barrel with longer grip as in the glock 43x and 48x, and so Kahr's now Covert model is the PM size with the P grip. How things change with the trends!

I just wanted to say that you did an excellent job.

As to why have a longer barrel/slide, why not? I carry IWB so the slightly longer barrel just goes in my pants anyways.

As one of you have alluded, I too was lost as to why Glock decided to make the 43X not more similar in size to the P365.

I think they messed up on that, but Glock has a large following who will buy anyways.

Old May 9, 2021, 06:31 AM   #19
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald duck View Post
Trends come and go. I am not a fan of Glocks, nothing at all against them, just not my cup of tea. Glock obviously knows how to market Pistols. Why they do not do this or that could go on for ever. I have shot many Glocks over the years and I prefer the Glock 43 much more than the 43X. I love the Kahrs but have no desire for one of the longer grips either. I like the Glock 26 but not the wider grip. But I doubt Glock is interested in my opinion. They are successful at what they are doing and know how to make a long term profit. I get the impression Glock does not concern themselves with the latest trends, but focus more on producing a straight forward reliable pistol. They do what they do best.
Old May 9, 2021, 08:05 AM   #20
stinkeypete

Fan mail for High Valley Ranch, showing what an ordinary man with simple tools, patience, thought, creativity and a bit of courage can make.

Result: looks much better than many a Glock I have seen after being hacked at by “custom gunsmiths” .

Sure, it’s just plastic. That just means the tools needed are less expensive. The same craftsmanship is required to do it right as a steel gun. Great work!
Old May 9, 2021, 12:37 PM   #21
rodfac

Not a Glock fan whatsoever...but...High Valley, that's some really fine workmanship!! Bravo. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old May 9, 2021, 01:08 PM   #22
HighValleyRanch

restored back to original size

Thanks everyone for the compliments!
After going to single stacks for carry, i.e. shield and my current Kahr PM9, I decided that I wanted to restore the cut glock 19/26 back to its original glory.
I purchased this way back in 1989 and the tennifer slide is worn down to a matt grey, and the frame is polished by years of use.

I could not find anyone who had done this, but I was able to bond back on an A&G grip sleeve as the extension using devcon plastic welder and glass. It was done a few years ago, so it's holding strong. Here is link to the reconstruction:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ck+to+original

You will notice in post #4 that I was way ahead of the current trend to lengthen the grip on a SHORT frame giving the glock 43 plus and 48 plus, the glock 19 plus. My idea was to lengthen the grip on a glock 27 so making in theory a glock 27 plus. He He, great minds....
Never did come to fruition, although I still look for a dirt cheap deal on a glock 27.

Here is what the ole glock 19 looks like today, restored:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glock 19 restored.jpg (163.8 KB, 303 views)
Old May 10, 2021, 04:56 AM   #23
Alan0354

I like the cut one!!! I just like the Glock 19 with the 26 butt!!!
Old May 10, 2021, 07:41 AM   #24
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
I did exactly that, but with a Glock 21.

It is great for carry and using the regular G21 maganize with X-grip adapters, it is almost like if it was back to its original configuration.

It is also a "never sell" pistol for me.

And I agree with the OP, I think that it would be GREAT if Glock offered a similar model. Even better if the slides were interchangeable.

Last edited by Pistoler0; May 10, 2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old May 10, 2021, 07:56 AM   #25
Pistoler0

Quote:
That is a sweet grip cut job! Beautiful pistol.

Last edited by Pistoler0; May 10, 2021 at 01:29 PM.