The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2021, 08:53 PM   #1
dgludwig

Finally Decided on Which 9mm "Micro-Compact" Pistol to Buy

After handling the four most popular micro-compact 9mm candidates (the S&W Plus, the Ruger MAX 9, the SIG 365 XL and the Springfield Armory Hellcat) @ my lgs, I opted for the SIG @ $599.99. I found three of them pretty much equal in terms of how they "felt" for me but liked the Hellcat least. I was interested in the Ruger @ $499.99 but by the time I decided to get it (the next day) it was gone. I paid fifty dollars each for an extra 12 round magazine and an extended 15 round magazine.

After getting home and getting more familiar with the controls, I appreciated the fact that the slide control, magazine release and the safety were streamlined in profile and pretty much snag free. However, I found the magazine catch difficult for me to access without giving up some of my grip to release it. I learned to use the outside of the knuckle on my thumb to eject the mag. And when that was accomplished, the fleshy underbelly of my fairly meaty hand made dropping it a sometimes and sometimes not events. On the plus side, it's highly unlikely that I'll be dumping the magazine inadvertently.

I'm looking forward to expending some lead downrange when the weather warms up.
Old April 23, 2021, 07:04 AM   #2
rodfac

Good choice...I have the original P365...like it a lot...it's my daily carry piece when headed into town. 1300+ rounds ranging from LSWC's to "ashtray" sized JHP's without a problem. Accuracy is truly amazing in a pistol of this size. Hope yours works out as well. BTW, I too find the mag release hard to access...but 10 rounds in my example should be enough for a civilian. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 23, 2021, 07:28 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations!
Old April 26, 2021, 06:04 AM   #4
sparkyv

My story is the same as rodfac, though I'm well shy on his round count. Excellent choice, OP.
Old April 29, 2021, 02:11 AM   #5
ftttu

I think it is a good choice. It is PERFECT for me carrying concealed every da, but I can see how the extra slide and grip length are a little too much for some. I like the extra lengths for their minor benefits, but I'm sure I'd be happy with a standard p365. Even so, I probably wouldn't have traded in my beloved G43 if the XL version hadn't been developed.

BTW, I use a Versacarry otw holster for it, and I really like it. It is just one of many nice ones available out there.
Old April 29, 2021, 05:37 AM   #6
amyacker

Carrying a full sized gun is easier than some people would have you believe. A proper belt, holster, and clothes will conceal anything. Sweet setup.
Old April 29, 2021, 12:08 PM   #7
Donald duck

With the right belt and holster a Glock 21 can seem to disappear under a tee shirt. It appears to be hidden when you are look at it standing in front of the mirror. But in reality in the summer when you are going about your business in public it can be obvious to anyone looking at you that you have a gun. Where I live that is not a problem. Most people don't care and they don't freak out. They are used to seeing people carrying guns. I have carried full size guns and small guns under no circumstances is carrying a full size gun as comfortable and as easy as carrying a sig 356
Old April 29, 2021, 05:28 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

Build size and what you typically wear a bigger factors than the gun.

No way is it make sense to say something weight a pound heavier and 2xs larger is just as easy to carry for everyone.

Heck, even an LCP can be annoying to me.
Old April 29, 2021, 10:30 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

Given that a gun is reliable, it all comes down to personal preference. I feel fortunate that we have so many great options to choose from right now.

Glad you got a gun you are happy with. May it serve you well, and hope you never need it.
Old April 30, 2021, 01:46 AM   #10
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Build size and what you typically wear a bigger factors than the gun.

No way is it make sense to say something weight a pound heavier and 2xs larger is just as easy to carry for everyone.

Heck, even an LCP can be annoying to me.
Totally agree. Hate to say it, but if I had to carry a larger gun than a micro 9mm, I would just not carry EDC except on rare occasions. And even though I am a range rat, I seldom even shoot larger guns, just to not find them that much full to shoot. The smaller guns are more of a challenge and with that I get a greater feel of satisfaction improving with them as time goes on. I shoot the smaller guns so often that they now seem like they are large especially when I carry. A compact or duty gun feels now like a massive Rock. And the thought of carrying one IWB makes my claustrophobia go through the roof.
Congrats to the OP, I believe he has found a EDC that will give him a much more comfortable every day carry and a small gun that is fun to shoot! What a shame there is a ammo shortage, because shooting these smaller guns often, you can become surprisingly proficient with them. I personally find them faster to the draw than a larger firearm.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; April 30, 2021 at 01:59 AM.
Old May 13, 2021, 09:04 AM   #11
langenc

Have a couple micros. Am now looking for full size 1911-9 mm.
Old May 13, 2021, 09:30 AM   #12
unclenunzie

I came to the same conclusion (P365 XL) by an overlapping but slightly different route. I wanted American made and a steel sub-chassis/frame. The left me handling the Shield+ and the P365 XL, and I simply liked it better. But I don't think there are any wrong choices among the top four contenders. Congrats!
Old May 13, 2021, 09:50 PM   #13
totaldla

What is a "micro compact"?

A PF9 weighs 18oz loaded with (8) 124gr jhp - is that a "nano compact"?
Old May 14, 2021, 06:53 AM   #14
claydoctor

I have had both the P365 and the P365XL. For reasons I can't determine, both pinched my finger, similar to the problem I have with Glocks. The Hellcat just doesn't feel good in my hand. I have had 4-5 Shields in various calibers and they fit my hand like the proverbial glove. IMHO they have hit it out of the park with the new Shield Plus. I have the Performance Center version with the fiberoptic sights and a trigger that feels like a 1911. I just can't say enough about how great the new Shield Plus is.Try one before you decide.
Old May 15, 2021, 03:37 PM   #15
armoredman

Smallest pistol I feel perfectly comfortable with is my CZ P-10S, very very accurate and reliable little pistol. I have carried tiny guns in the past, but the compromise of size and power didn't work well for me.
I did carry a full size CZ SP-01 Phantom for quite some time without issue with a proper holster and belt from High Noon.
Old May 31, 2021, 07:42 PM   #16
stagpanther

I just shot my LC9S pro in the rain yesterday, I'm terrible with handguns in general but even I can shoot this pretty well, it's a sweet gun you might want to consider.
Old June 1, 2021, 04:20 PM   #17
dgludwig

Thanks but, as you can see, I've already decided.