The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 13, 2021, 05:27 AM   #26
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
The good news is the only one I'm trying to please is me
I like stainless and I like flutes. Don't carry about function (or lack thereof) in either case, I just like it.

Good to know, thanks for the info.
The other consideration for me is that I usually find the LOP on rifles (~13.5") to be short for my liking. I guess I have monkey arms or something.
We'll see how it feels and shoots and go from there.

No worries, brother, I've been around a while, I know how it goes with opinions.

Anybody have any experience with McGowan barrels on an AR? I've got one on my customized Savage 11 but I've never had the time to really even develop loads for it so can't say for sure how it shoots.... I mean, it's only been 7 years since I got it. Give me some time.

I'll have everything except the barrel by next Thursday... funny story, the Colorado "insta-check" background check system is currently taking 5+ days to "instantly" process background checks.
I have that Hogue stock on my AR47 and it is shorter than any other stock I have on my rifles. It’s too bad because it’s a really nice stock and I like it a lot better than comparable MagPul stocks. But I don’t mind if it’s shorter, I’m a weird guy when it comes to LOP on rifles, I’m very tolerant of different lengths. Stock height/drop however makes a world of difference to me.
Old April 13, 2021, 05:36 AM   #27
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
So what do you go to bed with?
Old April 13, 2021, 06:58 AM   #28
stagpanther

Nice! I like the shield in case the mice return fire.
Old April 13, 2021, 07:02 AM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
Were you able to get all the parts? I've been looking around for the next part for my build and I can't find a BCG for under 250 bucks that's still in stock.
PSA has Grendel type 2 BCGs at the moment for around $160--though I doubt the bolt is a heavy duty one--those are hard to find. I'd pay the extra for the heavy duty bolt--though none of my guns that I run that use the regular type 2 bolt have ever failed. Hornady developed the ARC at lower pressures.
Old April 13, 2021, 08:24 AM   #30
Geezerbiker

I'm going with a standard 5.56 NATO build and those BCG's are really hard to find right now. I suppose I'll wait and hope for better days to come...

Tony
Old April 14, 2021, 01:29 PM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker
Were you able to get all the parts? I've been looking around for the next part for my build and I can't find a BCG for under 250 bucks that's still in stock.
I've been able to find everything, although a lot of it took some serious searching.

The BCG I got from Ballistic Advantage, which from my research is supposedly part of or owned by Aero Precision, so I'm hoping it's a good one.

PSA has BCGs in stock right now
https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-1...er-groups.html

I did realize the other night that none of my parts/kits included trigger pins, which was sort of odd, so I ordered those now too.

Right now, the biggest hang up is going to be brass and/or ammo. I got a notice that Midway had ammo the other day. When I got there it said "Hurry! 5 in Stock", I added it to my cart and it said "2 in stock", I hit pay and it said I couldn't order as these were none in stock.

I'd love to get a few pieces of 6.5 Gren to see if I could convert it easily.
Old April 14, 2021, 07:50 PM   #32
smee78

I have built a few AR's over the years and when I want a fixed stock I use the RRA Operator A2 stock. https://www.rockriverarms.com/index....tegory_ID=1376 I enjoy the fixed stock setup and the look and feel of the RRA VS the original A2.

Good luck to anyone building a gun these days. Parts are hard to find and when you do the prices are stupid hi. Good luck to all.
Old April 15, 2021, 03:48 PM   #33
Scorch

Hey, Brian! Looks like you'll be joining the AR gang! And with a setup like that it should shoot well, too! I built an AR a few years ago with a 22" match barrel, PRS stock, cassette trigger, cantilever scope mount, free float tube. All the mil-spec fanboys gave me grief until they saw how well it shot. They were bragging about 3" at 100, mine shoots 1/4 MOA. They were all jazzed about mil-spec plastic stocks, mine has a fixed stock with adjustable cheekpiece and LOP. They were all excited over their gritty 5-6 lbs triggers, mine is a crisp 3 lbs. So just smile and nod, then go shoot little teeny tiny groups. Have fun!
Old April 15, 2021, 04:54 PM   #34
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
Hey, Brian!
Hey brother, how you been?

Thanks for the comments.
What sort of stock do you recommend?
One of the reasons I chose the Jard trigger is because it can go so light. To me, a 3.5lb trigger feels like a boat anchor. My other Jard breaks at 13oz. I don't want that for an AR, but this one is supposed to go down to 1.5lbs.

My BCG from Ballistic Advantage arrived last night. I tell you what, if they make BCGs with the care and precision they package them with it should be an awesome piece. I have never seen such a thing. Clearly hand wrapped, very tightly in bubble wrap, with a perfectly placed sticker holding it together, like someone thought they were wrapping a Christmas present. It looked like they measured and squared it dead-center in the box and surrounded it on all sides with packing material and then every corner and seam of the box had perfectly flat, square tape. I've never seen a product boxed up like that in my life.
Old April 15, 2021, 05:41 PM   #35
stagpanther

I have lots of Jards installed in my AR's--probably my all-around favorite for AR's.
Old April 16, 2021, 04:52 AM   #36
jetinteriorguy

Aeroprecision /Ballistic Advantage make good stuff.
Old April 16, 2021, 06:45 AM   #37
stagpanther

Quote:
I'd love to get a few pieces of 6.5 Gren to see if I could convert it easily.
I too couldn't find any ARC brass so had to figure out how to make it from Grendel brass. Pre-trim the brass to the ARC's case length and it should work fine with a 1-shot pass through an ARC die, though I haven't fired mine yet. You might want to turn the neck depending on who's brass it is and how tight it is.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 16, 2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old April 16, 2021, 03:35 PM   #38
Scorch

Quote:
What sort of stock do you recommend?
Well, Brian, I tend to go for precision stuff, so of course I got a Magpul PRS. It's a little heavy but I love the fully adjustable stuff. I'm sure there are other options out there, but I got a good deal on the PRS after Magpul brought out the PRS 2. Check around, I haven't shopped for one lately.

As far as the trigger, 2.5 lbs feels pretty nice on a varminter, so I would say get something adjustable like the Timney so you can play around with it and find your sweet spot.
Old April 16, 2021, 06:32 PM   #39
rickyrick

I have ham fingers, every time I get a trigger around 4lbs I get the willies lol, but that’s just me.
I’ll always think of Brian as “Peetzakiller”

Looking forward to the final product.

One tip though, assemble all the small spring operated bits inside of a clear trash bag or any trash bag.
Quote:
My BCG from Ballistic Advantage arrived last night. I tell you what, if they make BCGs with the care and precision they package them with it should be an awesome piece.
I’ve got lots of parts from BA, mostly barrels, but they are always flawless and look amazing.
Old April 17, 2021, 04:29 PM   #40
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRick
I’ll always think of Brian as “Peetzakiller”
Wow, not too many around here remember those days, I imagine. I still happily answer to "Peetza" for anyone so inclined.

I have almost all the pieces now, enough to see what it's going to look like more or less anyway.
Looks.... a lot like an AR

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR_Model.jpg (51.9 KB, 250 views)
Old April 18, 2021, 06:57 AM   #41
smee78

Looks like its coming along nicely.
Old April 30, 2021, 11:40 AM   #42
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, still sadly waiting on the barrel... but I've got it as together as it can be without the part that goes BOOM! I realize I'm being super picky, but I am slightly irritated that the plate and castle nut on the buffer tube don't match the finish of everything else.

The Jard trigger seems to be exactly what I hoped, can't wait to actually shoot it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR.JPG (121.3 KB, 200 views)
Old April 30, 2021, 12:21 PM   #43
stagpanther

Quote:
but I am slightly irritated that the plate and castle nut on the buffer tube don't match the finish of everything else.
Don't worry about that--you'll soon find plenty of other stuff that will irritate you even more.
Old May 1, 2021, 07:04 AM   #44
Nathan

Quote:
I realize I'm being super picky, but I am slightly irritated that the plate and castle nut on the buffer tube don't match the finish of everything else.
I’m super picky too....your nut is upside down and not staked that I can see.

I agree, I think you can find those parts more black.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:12 AM   #45
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Ha! Yes, yes it is. It's not "permanent" yet, not tighten/torqued, just hand assembled. I honestly didn't even consider the orientation.

Regarding the "staked" bit... probably opening a can o' worms but I wasn't really planning to do that anyway. This gun is not for duty/defense/hard use and I see no particular benefit. Loctite and torque is more than sufficient.
Old May 1, 2021, 03:43 PM   #46
rickyrick

I don’t think that nut needs to be staked. Just my opinion, but burn me if you must...never had one come loose and it’s an item easily checked during maintenance.
Old May 1, 2021, 05:30 PM   #47
bbqncigars

For most parts that I don't want moving after they're installed, I use Loctite 290. It's a medium grade threadlocker that wicks into the threads before it sets up.
Old May 1, 2021, 06:33 PM   #48
stagpanther

Quote:
Slow down when getting dressed.
Old May 2, 2021, 07:50 AM   #49
Nathan

Brian is welcome to build as he wishes. I thought I was helping out.

I have built an AR, torqued by feel a butt stock to what I thought was tight....which I’m pretty good at that due to my time as an assembler. I know how to “feel” the joint.

Well, this came apart shooting on my 300 bo. Probably me combined with a design issue. The nut is not normal as it is part of the tube...not separate. I retorqued and staked. Should be good.
Old May 3, 2021, 05:39 AM   #50
stagpanther

I was just teasing--you have good eyes for picking that out, I was distracted by the muzzle device.