The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 31, 2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

In another post I mentioned that gun shows...

Thought it might be worthwhile to speak on the issue.

I have attended guns shows about a dozen times in FL and my reaction is mixed.

Since the shows serve a smaller community than those I attended in Hampton, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach they host a lower number of booths.

On the other hand a higher percentage of vendors are private guys.

I went to the Dade City show several times and really liked it. There was always a wide variety of used and relic firearms at reasonable prices.

Have been at the Naples show, also large by the standards to which I have become accustomed. This weekend I went to a show in Port Charlotte and another show in Englewood.

Both shows require masks and both shows sold masks at a buck a piece.

Both shows charged nine dollars for admission.

The venues were smallish with good parking in Port Charlotte and sparse parking in Englewood.

The spaces were filled with tables. Attendance was moderate. Most of the venues were selling firearms or associated merchandise. Perhaps two tables at each show that had back rub machines or pocketbooks.

In each case I thought the show was worth attending. I did not see anything I wanted and could afford at the Port Charlotte show but the Englewood show was the source of the Remington Rolling Block I discussed in a different post.

One of the vendors spoke of a show in Lakeland which will be in my plans for the future (September)

All in all I had a great day.
Old May 31, 2020, 07:37 PM   #2
Pahoo

No such problems

We Don't have these kind of problems at our local Gun Shows, because all have been cancelled since this great adventure started. …….

Be Safe !!!
Old May 31, 2020, 08:23 PM   #3
BJung

Be happy you're not in CA. The gun shows here are pretty sad. Too many anti-gun supporters here.
Old June 1, 2020, 02:13 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Pahoo and BJ

Pahoo,

These are the first two to be scheduled in our locale. In fact, both of the venues websites still had the centers closed. I called the show operators to find that the site was wrong and that the shows were open.

BJ,

I had occasion to attend a conference in CA some years ago. I went to a grocery store to pick up some snacks. I noticed a large magazine section and figured I would take along a copy of "Guns of the old West". No such luck. Penthouse, Playboy, National Inquirer...yes. No firearm associated magazines
Old June 1, 2020, 08:25 AM   #5
jar

Were there any C&R firearms at the shows?
Old June 1, 2020, 12:41 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Jar

Indeed there were.

I saw many.

I came home with a RRB which I think was made in 1895 or 6. There was an Egyptian rolling block rifle in .43 Spanish (Egyptian)

Saw several BP revolver replicas.

One guy had some very nice old Marlin lever guns

Another guy had an assortment of old Bicycle revolvers.

I sold my Ballester Molina to a gentleman who had four or five Belgian Bulldogs. He had only the long barrel versions in quite solid condition.

Several Lugers from the teens

Many of the vendors were private guys and I witnessed only one person completing the state police form.

I enjoyed these shows even though my tone in the OP was a bit casual.
Old June 2, 2020, 12:11 AM   #7
tangolima

Here in CA you can't have c&r shipped directly to you from out of state, even you have FFL 03. But it is still allowed to physically bring it into the state. It is outrageous, but what do you expect living behind enemy line?

Are there any good shows in AZ or NV?

Thanks.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old June 2, 2020, 02:29 AM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
There was an Egyptian rolling block rifle in .43 Spanish (Egyptian)
Just FYI, 43 Spanish and 43 Egyptian are not the same cartridge. Not even close.
Old June 2, 2020, 04:02 AM   #9
Brit

We normally go to help out (Grandparents!) with two grandkids, 6&7 we do chores, cook, clean cars, service vehicles. All stuff that with both parents working, are difficult.
My wife and I have a great time. This is in Sacramento CA. The difference in what I think of as the Republican part of CA is amazing. All places where TVs are on, restaurants/car washes ETC. Are playing FOX! Not a CNN anywhere. They live in Folsom, saw not one homeless person! Very sparse Police presence. Saw not one-foot patrol in 3 weeks.
Everybody smiles, nods, says hi. Lights and sirens? None, it is definitely not Orlando.
Of course, riots and such here just now.
The Sherrif of Polk County, on TV last night. A breath of fresh air. "I advise our citizens to be armed, and they are, come trying to invade houses here, you will be shot!" He said.
Love it.
Old June 2, 2020, 07:37 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

Scorch and Brit.

Scorch.

Yes. I mis-spoke. The guy who had it, called it "Spanish err Egyptian...Whatever" .

Brit.

Agree. Let me hasten to place myself among those who do not disparage the entire state of CA for what amounts to a limited number of reasons. I never spent more than about two weeks at any given time in the state. I have only anecdotal evidence of things which rub me the wrong way which is not sufficient for a general condemnation. There are plenty of things I don't like about Florida. But they don't make me want to leave.
Old June 2, 2020, 11:10 AM   #11
Pahoo

Still Distancing

Quote:
I called the show operators to find that the site was wrong and that the shows were open.
I routinely get emails from promoters and dealers. They still list the schedule on their websites but so far, all have notified me that the upcoming show had been cancelled. Local auction houses are still operating but that's only by the internet. …...

Be Safe !!!
Old June 2, 2020, 02:18 PM   #12
Atticus Thraxx

Living in California can be a challenge socially and politically. But there's a million shooters in this state and we've collectively done a poor job supporting gun shows among other things. Here in the Bay Area we only have Crossroads of the West coming through and it's been severely neutered. I go just to wander around and see what's what but I'm convinced every third person I bump into works for the dozen of agencies that figure they have domain over us evil doers. And I like to buy powder in lots and the gun shows make that easier than shipping. As long as nobody smokes in the car on the way home...

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old June 3, 2020, 05:32 PM   #13
Doc Hoy

I stayed for some time in Redondo Beach/Long Beach area, Stockton, Palo Alto, and the Bay Area. Of those places I like the bay area the most.
Old June 3, 2020, 07:46 PM   #14
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy View Post
I stayed for some time in Redondo Beach/Long Beach area, Stockton, Palo Alto, and the Bay Area. Of those places I like the bay area the most.
I'm quite on the contrary. I despise the bay area the most. My parents used to have house in Alameda and we went there on regular basis. It is expensive, crowded, with horrendous traffic, and out-of-mind liberal. Currently it added poop on the streets and covid outbreaks.

It used to be nice area long ago. That was long long ago.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old June 3, 2020, 09:06 PM   #15
Atticus Thraxx

Well Doc if you ever find your way out this way again I’d be happy to take you for a session at my club. It’s no Gunsite Academy but their hearts in the right place. I’m not in the Bay Area per say, but I can get there if I need to. Assuming I can wade through the waves and waves of liberals, combat roll over the scat and what not.

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!
Old June 4, 2020, 06:22 AM   #16
Doc Hoy

Tnx, AT

Always nice to get an invite.
Old June 4, 2020, 06:28 AM   #17
Doc Hoy

TL

Last time I was there was about ten years ago. Was at Stanford and made a deliberate side trip to Sausalito. Did not do any shooting or shows.

I expected the high prices. It is a tourist spot.
Old August 20, 2020, 11:15 PM   #18
candr44

Quote:
One of the vendors spoke of a show in Lakeland which will be in my plans for the future (September)
I haven't been to the Lakeland Rifle and Pistol Club show since I moved out of Florida but it was one of the larger shows in Florida. It also had a lot of military surplus guns. The Shriners Club on St. Johns Bluff rd. in Jacksonville also had a good show.

Now I live in Massachusetts where the gun shows are canceled and don't compare to Florida gun shows. I can't even buy firearms, ammo, or magazines here until I get a license. They even hang large pro gun control banners from high rise buildings in Boston.