The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 07:37 PM   #76
4V50 Gary
Staff

Highpoints are supposed to be very reliable. Not that I would own the Woolworth of Guns but I don't laugh at something to work. During WW II the Filipinos used pipe to make slam fire single shot shotguns. After they killed a Japanese, they attempted (if safe) to recover their gun. It served its purpose.

Ditto with plastic frame pistols. My big objection is that the HK VP-70 was first but overlooked. Timing was bad but the VP-70 was the first big framed plastic gun (too bad it didn't come with the shoulder stock holster). Plastic has been proven.

I don't care for the shockwave but if it's what you can afford and it keeps the naughty people at bay, go for it.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:03 PM   #77
44 AMP
Staff

If I remember correctly there was a version of the VP-70 that had a stock, and the stock had the selector switch on it, making the gun legally a machine gun in the US.

Why do people ridicule some guns? For the same reason some Camaro owners ridicule the guy driving a VW beetle...or (in my home area in the 70s) Arctic Cat owners looked down on those who owned "lesser" brands of snowmobiles.

It's part snobbery, ok, its a LOT snobbery...but in the end it boils down to I'm better than you are because my toys/tools are better than yours.

I don't play that game, I think the only gun deserving of ridicule is the one that fails to work when you need it to work.

But, that's just me...
Old May 5, 2021, 12:14 AM   #78
Pathfinder45

I've shot a friend's Shockwave with magnum buckshot ammo and found it quite unpleasant. Surprisingly, it was most abrasive to my bare hand on the pump handle. I would need gloves for more than a couple of shots. I think it's an entirely un-needed attempt to work around equally un-needed regulations. With or without regulations, it needs a real stock. As it is, I consider it ridiculous at best, and more likely can come up with appropriate expletives that it richly deserves. But if it suits someone else better, have at it.
Old May 5, 2021, 09:45 AM   #79
Prof Young

Jennings 22

When I reported that I'd bought a Jennings 22 on this forum there were a few who were sure I'd made a huge mistake.

Got the little sucker and it runs just fine for cheaply made gun. Couple hundered rounds through it now and only 3 jams.

Fun range toy.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old May 6, 2021, 11:26 PM   #80
BourbonCowboy

I own a Taurus Judge...it's my nightstand gun;
I own a Hi Point carbine...and I outshot my friends who shot Ruger and Beretta PCPs;
I own a Charter Arms SouthPaw...because I'm a lefty;
I just bought a Mossberg Shockwave...because I wanted it.

I don't let those who ridicule me change the way I approach my self-defense tactics and/or weapons. I couldn't care less what they think - and I will never ridicule those who make different choices.
Old May 7, 2021, 08:34 PM   #81
OldManMontgomery

The number one laughable and largely useless firearm category are the modern 'derringers' in .45-70 or similar.
A couple decades ago I had the chance to fire both barrels of such a device (derringer) in .45 ACP. Later (some years), I fired two rounds (both barrels) from a Lancaster 'howdah' pistol. chambered in .577 Snider as I recall.
Both are handguns - on a technicality - and are both in what I think of as 'three shot' pistols. Two in the pistol and one shot between to stiffen one's resolve.

The difference in the two pistols is the Lancaster has a fairly valid reason for existence.

I see no good sense in carrying a one-pound, two shot .45-70 with three inch barrels in one's pocket for self-defense.
Old May 11, 2021, 09:43 AM   #82
jackstrawIII

AR's in the hands of deer hunters.

Sure, you CAN if you want... but you look silly.
Old May 11, 2021, 10:40 AM   #83
Pahoo

Timesl; they are a-changing !!!

Quote:
Sure, you CAN if you want... but you look silly.
Not so much anymore but since as since Iowa changed their hunting caliber restrictions we are seeing more AR-types used for deer hunting. Prior to this change, Coyote hunters have been been using AR-Types for years. ......

Going even further back about 30-years or so, their is the Northern Missouri-Deer/varmint special, called the SKS-Deer rif;e . .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 11, 2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old May 11, 2021, 02:20 PM   #84
rickyrick

Hunting is a solo activity for me, so no one would see me if I did. I have never used an AR to hunt deer, but I see no issue with it.
Old May 13, 2021, 01:29 PM   #85
Skans

I have a Jennings J-22. Have had it for decades - bought it around 1990 and put lots of rounds through it. It hasn't broken yet. Mine has the metal "safety" which is rather useless, but at least it's metal. Keep it clean and it will shoot.
Old May 13, 2021, 01:31 PM   #86
Skans

Chrome AK-47. That one will get some laughs.
Old May 13, 2021, 02:38 PM   #87
Ignition Override

Look on TheHighRoad:

Rifle Forums- “The 70’s Called”.

The man used Spaceship Green on an AR 9
Old May 14, 2021, 03:32 PM   #88
tex45acp

Magnum Research BFR in 45-70
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BFR.jpg (107.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by tex45acp; May 14, 2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:10 AM   #89
Geezerbiker

I can't say I would blame Hi Point for that gun that rusted up in a fishing tackle box. I'd bet my last dollar the gun wasn't properly lubed for storage and was most likely put away wet...

Tony
Old May 15, 2021, 06:13 AM   #90
Carl the Floor Walker

One firearm that would invariably bring out ridicule was the Phoenix HPA 22.cal. And the Protestors would always claim "Pot Metal" cheap gun. Yet there are devoted fans of these fine, small rimfire Pistols. I love them for fast Point and shoot skills. Have been shooting them for years. And one of the most accurate guns in 22. I have shot for the shorter distances. Fast, great trigger, very good sights and a great feel in the hand. Yes, they have a weird redundant safety, but so easy to remove the redundancy.
Gun test did a comparison and gave it a A rating and said. "We were surprised when this inexpensive pistol out performed guns costing 4 times a much". I could not agree more. But no matter how well the gun shoots, the low cost, the Protestors will come out of the woodwork.
The Phoenix loves STANDARD Velocity ammo. Magazines cheap as well.

Old May 16, 2021, 09:23 AM   #91
Wag

I suppose if you can shoot it well, there's nothing to laugh about.

I inherited a Taurus Judge and a Circuit Judge a few years ago and I only ever shoot the Judge when I need to qualify for the .45 caliber revolver in the CCW course.

One day, though, a small lady shooting for the course for the first time asked if she could use the Judge to qual for the larger caliber. She did it the way I told her and she shot very well with it and qualified.

That said, I find the two laughable and all of the specialty ammo for it equally laughable. Copper disks? C'mon. There is nothing about that that screams reliability or accuracy or even self-defense.

--Wag--
Old May 16, 2021, 09:52 AM   #92
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
One firearm that would invariably bring out ridicule was the Phoenix HPA 22.cal. And the Protestors would always claim "Pot Metal" cheap gun. Yet there are devoted fans of these fine, small rimfire Pistols. I love them for fast Point and shoot skills. Have been shooting them for years. And one of the most accurate guns in 22. I have shot for the shorter distances. Fast, great trigger, very good sights and a great feel in the hand. Yes, they have a weird redundant safety, but so easy to remove the redundancy.
Gun test did a comparison and gave it a A rating and said. "We were surprised when this inexpensive pistol out performed guns costing 4 times a much". I could not agree more. But no matter how well the gun shoots, the low cost, the Protestors will come out of the woodwork.
The Phoenix loves STANDARD Velocity ammo. Magazines cheap as well.

Certainly not easy to find a smaller package with a 10 round magazine than the HP-22 or 9 rounds of .25.
Old May 16, 2021, 10:14 AM   #93
Willie Lowman

Launchers. Especially civilians that pay the $200 tax to get a M203 and mount it on a title one AR15.

...Like what are you gonna do? Chalk someone to death?
Old May 17, 2021, 09:41 AM   #94
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Lots of snobbery in this thread. It's like looking at a thread trashing Hondas on an LS forum.

Some people like coach guns and single action revolvers. Some people like C&R. Some like black powder. Some like strictly black rifles. The hobby is diverse and there's something for everyone. Don't like the Star Wars AR pistol? Your opinion doesn't matter. Someone is having fun, and obviously it's not you. Think colorful guns are ridiculous? Last I checked they function the same in black and not everyone likes black. I bought my wife a pink Pavona so she'd like to shoot more and be more interested in self-defense (it worked).

And as for comments ridiculing the FGC9 and other 3d printed guns, that's some extreme fudd thinking. People who have an interest 3d printed receivers have more 2a spirit in their soul than most other firearm enthusiasts. And the mere existence of 3d printed guns destroys any possibility of successful gun control and complete subjugation of the populace. Some people can't have defensive arms save for the 3d printed variety (I feel like I'm telling my kids about starving children in Africa when they refuse to eat their veggies).

In short, take your opinion and keep it to yourself. Enjoy your hobby and let others enjoy theirs.
Old May 18, 2021, 01:24 AM   #95
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Lots of snobbery in this thread.
Quote:
People who have an interest 3d printed receivers have more 2a spirit in their soul than most other firearm enthusiasts.
Now there's some irony...
Quote:
In short, take your opinion and keep it to yourself.
Sharing opinions is what this forum is all about. It's become common to believe that providing a differing opinion is equivalent to attacking those who don't agree. That's simply not true.

That said, I think this thread topic has probably been adequately covered.