The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 29, 2020, 09:41 AM   #1
mrcharlie3531

Some Ebay sellers just Plain Ignorant

My latest ebay purchase was a colt carrying handle for my latest build. It was listed as used for 60 dollars. I excepted nicks and paint lost, which it had. The elevation knob will not go to 6/3. It was extremely hard to turn and frozen. The gun will never zero like this.

I just wanted it to function properly. This was never stated or described in the listing. This had heavy use, I assuming it came from a military surplus drmo auction, as the seller had several for sale.

The seller told me to bad SOLD AS IS with no returns, After multiple negative messages back and forth with seller, They agreed to accept the return. But are delaying things, Want me to wait until the 4th or 5th until ebay will step in.

eBay item number:283778139329
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

The carrying handle they show is like brand new

Charlie
Old March 1, 2020, 05:58 AM   #2
Nathan

I still shop on eBay. Yea, I too have noticed that often eBay sellers are just sellers.....meaning they have zero knowledge of what they sell.

Was the sight down all the way and the numbers off? Or not down all the way. I forget exactly, but I thought number alignment was a user adjustment?
Old March 1, 2020, 09:18 AM   #3
mrcharlie3531

Quote:
Was the sight down all the way and the numbers off?
Yes, The elevation will not go to 6/3 and is frozen. I had to use a pair of pliers to turn to get to 6/3 elvation
Old March 8, 2020, 01:47 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I've had good deals, bad deals, and plenty of average stuff that gets lost in the shuffle.
Work it out as best you can. At least it was eBay and not Gunbroker. GB is terrible about buyer protection.

If things go to crap, set a reminder to watch your feedback like a hawk, at the 60 day limit.

A lot of disreputable sellers have gone to never leaving anything but negative feedback (and usually only if the customer complains), and they wait until just before the feedback window closes, to do it. That way, you cannot protest or refute anything.
It's like bid-sniping, but with feedback...
(It's not just the little guys, either. Western Gun Parts has done this to me on Gunbroker, after sending totally different parts than described in the auction, and refusing to do anything about it.)

I turned that tactic against a scabby eBay seller just last week.
I bought parts advertised as "in the white".
Something similar showed up "in the silver spray paint" with extra parts that were heavily rusted and pitted.
I requested a return or refund.
The seller told me to get bent.
I opened an official refund request.
The seller sent me a message telling me that he was going to let the refund request time-out, because the auction was listed as 'no returns / no refunds'.
I reminded him that the parts did not match the item description and eBay would have my back.
He told me to get lost.
So, I got dirty. I pointed out that any way that this was resolved, other than a refund or return, would leave him open to feedback sniping and using the eBay "guarantee" to get my money back anyway.
He refunded 50% of the price, told me to keep the parts, and then asked if that was adequate.

The rusty parts were actually useful, so I acquiesced.
Old March 26, 2020, 08:45 AM   #5
dahermit

I bought a Lyman cast bullet sizer off Ebay back when Clinton was president. The item was described as being complete and tight. When the item arrived, there was no reservoir cap, no ratcheting pressurizing handle and one of the linkage bolts was bent and on the verge of breaking.

I contacted the seller and told him that the item did not match his description to which he stated that he knew nothing about the item, stating "...I just buy things to resell".

I told him that instead of sending the item back, I was going to take care of the problems myself but was going to give him bad feedback inasmuch as that is what he deserved. He proceeded to tell me that if I gave him bad feedback, he would retaliate by giving me bad feedback in retaliation. I told him to accept the bad feedback like a man instead of making whiny excuses like Bill Clinton. I gave him negative feedback with the reasons why (parts missing)...he never gave me bad feedback like he threatened initially.

I had access to a lathe so I turned a reservoir cap out of aluminum with no problem and used the ratchet handle from my Chapman screwdriver bit set for the pressurizing handle (they are identical), and replaced the linkage bolt with a high-strength bolt...in all, less trouble than sending the item back and waiting to find another used one on Ebay.

That was my worst experience on Ebay...all the other experiences have generally been good. However, I always look at a person's feedback count and percentage.
Old April 3, 2020, 09:03 PM   #6
stinkeypete

Well, some eBay buyers just plain don’t pay. That’s a bother. I’m still out the listing fees and commission until this gets resolved.
Old April 4, 2020, 03:08 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Well, some eBay buyers just plain don’t pay. That’s a bother. I’m still out the listing fees and commission until this gets resolved.
For the item mentioned by mrcharlie? Or a different auction?
Old April 4, 2020, 04:40 PM   #8
hikingman

Not as described. (The hard to turn/ frozen was not mentioned.) Ebay will back you up on a return/ refund. Wait to post feedback. Start the process through ebay, and they will keep the seller informed. Stop talking to the seller unless ebay guides you do that. Get the refund you deserve.
Old April 6, 2020, 12:54 AM   #9
stinkeypete

In this case patience and procrastination are a virtue. The fella paid, a week late and no note. Hey, stuff happens but a little courtesy would be appreciated.

Thanks for the advice on contacting eBay... they did right.
Old April 16, 2020, 07:42 PM   #10
langenc

I havent checked ebay for anything in 3-4 years. Last time I was looking for something the sellers demanded paypal and didnt want $$..
Old April 18, 2020, 12:38 AM   #11
hikingman

With a 5 word description, you either know the product in the photo, or contact the seller for a few more words to describe.

Many of the used reloading items listed there tonight had Priority shipping prices, or handling charges hidden for small 3-5 ounce items. Ever heard of First Class shipping on lightweight stuff?

Last edited by hikingman; April 18, 2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old April 19, 2020, 12:36 PM   #12
pete2

When you buy from Ebay or Gunbroker you get what you get. It may nor may not be what you thought you ordered. Even new in the box isn't always perfect. I guess I can't blame them for that. Recently bought a new 629 from Bud's, has a hitch in the D/A pull and a dip in the bbl. S&Ws fault but I wouldn't have bought it in a store where I could try it, wouldn't have noticed the dip in the bbl tho til later.
Old April 24, 2020, 06:56 AM   #13
smee78

I also have had good deals and a few bad deals. It seems to be a roll of the dice, I always check the feedback rating and how long the sellers have been doing business.

GB customer protection does suck, not worth squat.
Old April 24, 2020, 09:28 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

As much as some sellers are ignorant, you should see some of the buyers!!!!!!
Old April 27, 2020, 09:22 PM   #15
veprdude

I sell alot on ebay. As a buyer I often have gripes about new sellers. Slow shipping, sending wrong or incomplete items, etc. As a seller the most common issue is that the buyer did not read the description and/or look at the pictures. Many of these issues come from the mobile sit ("Phone App") which is a dumbed-down version of the desktop site. People who use the phone app are more likely to be problematic as buyers or sellers.

I sell gun parts and have few issues as a seller. I also sell electronics and I have huge issues with people not reading or looking at what they're buying. Buying the wrong model, assuming it comes with batteries and almost anything you can think of. It always comes down to ignorant or unscrupulous buyers.

Ebay rules as a buyer:

1. Avoid low feedback sellers or new accounts that don't post good pictures or have vague descriptions.
2. Always pay with a credit card AND use Paypal (2 layers of buyer protection)
3. Always contact the seller in the event of an issue
4. Utilize the very buyer friendly (at the expense of the seller) returns policy for any issues you cannot resolve with the seller.
5. Don't be a jerk

Ebay Rules as a Seller:

1. Upload lots of high-res pictures from many angles
2. Write a concise, clear description with as much info as necessary and no irrelevant info
3. Always use ebay shipping service for a discount and delivery confirmation
4. If there's an issue with a buyer (even if it's their fault) just accept a return. It's not worth it in the long run to fight buyers even if you're in the right.
5. Don't be a jerk
Old April 28, 2020, 06:10 PM   #16
foolzrushn

veprdude On your #2 for the buyer...do you mean to have a credit card linked to your Paypal account? Or using a Paypal credit card?

certified 'soap welder'
Old April 29, 2020, 11:37 PM   #17
veprdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolzrushn View Post
veprdude On your #2 for the buyer...do you mean to have a credit card linked to your Paypal account? Or using a Paypal credit card?
Please excuse the longwinded explanation, but all is relevant...

Always use a credit card with Paypal instead of drawing from your bank account.

This gives you 3 levels of protection. You can initially use eBay as a means of problem resolution but their customer service is overseas and often don't know what's going on or don't have the power to resolve issues. After that, Paypal can make decisions for refunds that eBay can't. For example, Paypal guarantees for 180 days for delivery of a product. If you forget to complain to eBay about an item not delivered after 30 days, you can have Paypal dispute the transaction. Lastly, your credit card company generally has final say on chargebacks for non-delivery even if Paypal is being stupid about it. You generally get 90-180 days to dispute charges with your credit card company.

That said, your credit card company matters. If you're using a Paypal credit card, it's likely a Synchrony brand card and they are complete crap for customer service. In fact, I would recommend against using them in gereral. If you're using a big name bank- Bank of America, Chase, Capital One, Wells Fargo (maybe) you have better odds of someone fixing your issue than a small bank. Also your relationship with them matters too. If you use your card a lot, they will be more likely to help you out even if it means eating the cost themselves.