The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 25, 2014, 11:35 PM   #26
PHEASANTPETE

Yes, the dead zombies shall rise unless hit by a .338 Win Mag in the head. The .338 Win Mag was never meant to be a long range sniping tool and neither was the 300 Win Mag. With the right bullet, load, and weapon with the 4" extra inches of barrel the Lapua test data comes from it can hold its own out to 1,000 maybe 1,300 meters. The Lapau can definitely stretch that by 200m but that is about it.

Snipers have a one shot one kill opportunity from maximum range, they get no practice shots like National Matches. Comparing some fat, overweight, out of shape near senior citizen shooting match to a sniper who spent days in the field to get that one shot is no comparison. It is like taking a trap shooter out in the field to shoot some pheasant in the cat-tails. Trap requires very little cardio ability and the tromping in the cat-tails will kill the heart attack prone guy before he ever gets a bird.

A Hollywood star died from a heart attack in WI last fall getting to his tree stand. A picture of him said it all. A sniper has the ability to hit the guy even if it is not perfect the man is out of the battle and a severely wounded man takes more men out of the battle than a dead one. But I doubt ones chances of surviving a somewhat well placed shot with a .338 of any magnum is very good. The .50 is damn near certain death if in the dog house. One may have a better chance if hit with a .30 cal but I would not want to be involved in that experiment.

Last edited by PHEASANTPETE; March 25, 2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old March 25, 2014, 11:59 PM   #27
PHEASANTPETE

The .338 Win Mag is the King of Elk, Moose and Bears in North America. Is it the best for everyone, nope. It is thoroughly proven with many years of use by professional guides and that is why they chose it in Alaska to back up those who cannot handle the recoil of a medium bore magnum and fail to place their shot properly. Stopping power is what the .338 and larger bores have that the small bore .30 cal and smaller lack on charging dangerous large game. Some fail to differeniate stopping power from killing ability of a well place shot in the ideal spot. A charging bear does not care if you have a good shot or not.
Old March 26, 2014, 12:24 AM   #28
PHEASANTPETE

Back to the original post some years ago. I am not sure if Savage makes a 338 Lapua but a quick internet search would tell. They do make a fine 116 Weather Warrior Stainless with an Accu-Trigger in .338 Win Mag and even an Alaskan Guide in 338 Win Mag with iron sights and a shorter barrel. Recoil wise the 338 Win Mag will be tamer. There are also many more choices.

If you grew up shooting 12 Gauge Slugs at deer than you probably experienced more recoil. I was given an HR single barrel 12 gauge 3" magnum as a 12 year old. Guess what my 115# frame shot Magnum 1-1/4 oz slugs from it. It likely kicked harder than a 375 HH in a heavier bolt gun. Best I can estimate is it was around 40# of recoil. Many shoot turkey with 1-3/4 oz loads or larger (over 52# of recoil) and you do not hear them whining about recoil.

I guess I do not get the recoil argument unless one decides it will become their range queen. Might as well go ahead and get a 10 gauge for trap as well then. Otherwise put a muzzle break on if the range allows that. I like to shoot cheaper ammo at the range like the 7.62 and 5.56 which recoil much less. I love 5.56 as it is pleasurable to shoot all day which I would not say about even a 7-08. Well there's my 2 bits.

Last edited by PHEASANTPETE; March 26, 2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old March 26, 2014, 05:30 PM   #29
PHEASANTPETE

Pet Load vs Versatile Cartridge

Another consideration is that the 338 Win Mag is the standard of the medium bore cartridges and it is much easier to find versatile hunting loads commercially and much cheaper than the other medium bores. The 338 Lapau is a specialty pet load that is much more expensive to shoot considering 2 or 3 boxes would cost the same as an entry level rifle.

Tags
.338 lapua magnum , .338 win mag , savage