The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 24, 2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Mausermolt

Im almost happy im not near my guns.

I recently moved to Haiti for a job that will last about year. so all of my guns were tucked into the safe freshly oiled. I made sure all of my reloading was done, and i had a bit of a powder/primer/bullet supply in reserve. now that everyone is going coo-coo for cocopuffs over the ammo and reloading supplies, im not even in the US to contribute to the madness! but when i get home, i will have my stockpiles of ammo and magazines waiting for me to burn hopefully by November the craziness will have gone and things are back to normal.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:40 PM   #2
tahunua001

one less looney makes the madhouse more bearable
wish I could say the same. I have done pretty well through all this but somehow somewhere I have probably contributed without my knowledge.
Old January 24, 2013, 04:53 PM   #3
jonnyc

Stiff gun laws down there?
Anything possible or worth taking a look at?
Old January 24, 2013, 06:59 PM   #4
xnaerughiazk

When the writing is on the wall, most will read it. I'd suspect that this frenzy will continue for some time as the media and those in power promote the cause.

I'd suspect that the cost of ammo and components will continue to rise by continued supply/demand and just inflation. Do you expect the price of gas to decrease by the time you come back in November? I wouldn't.

This in no small way fuels the frenzy, because beyond the push from government, people realize that they were caught flat-footed and should have foreseen the shortage and the inflation. It is hard to store vast quantities of gas but easy to store ammo.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5
SR420

Similar situation here, my large stash of ammunition and magazines is
locked in a vault that I won't have access to for a few more months.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Ignition Override

People should have realized that an unforeseen tragedy would lead to many politicians and their mass media puppets doing everything their limited 'political capital' might allow, to exploit the tragedy and increase govt. control over anything.

We already had the Tucson, Aurora, Portland tragedies etc.
But why did hundreds of thousands of law-abiding gun owners (who enjoy semi-auto sport utility rifles) assume that a group of children could not be victims?
Old January 25, 2013, 10:01 AM   #7
karlb

I remember being in Haiti in 1994 for Operation Uphold Democracy. Haitians would walk up and hand us Uzi's and AKs in exchange for a $200 coupon.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:27 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

There aren't many places in the world where a $200 voucher won't bring in an AK. Most places they cost about $50 at the local open air market. God bless the cold war and the robust soviet weapon designs

I was in a similar situation. Then I went to the vault to get the last of my semi-auto rifles out to sell. Dug a bunch of ammo out while I was at it. If I can get $1 for cheap X39, and it seems some are, I am not going to hold onto it.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:00 PM   #9
xnaerughiazk

johnw

That is a smart move if you can get a buck a round for 7.62x39, got me thinking about some 223 ammo I have. I never really liked the 223 or the rifle I have. Now would be a good time to trade up and make two people happy.

Last edited by xnaerughiazk; January 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:31 PM   #10
spacecoast

Quote:
If I can get $1 for cheap X39
Not sure how long that will last, so take it if you can get it. I bought some Tula at Wal-Mart last weekend for 26c a round, saw some .223 at Wal-Mart this morning for the same (limit of 3 boxes per customer per day).
Old January 27, 2013, 07:04 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Still people looking for thousands of rounds. Going the Walmart route they are going to have to spend a lot of time and wait.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:29 PM   #12
Mausermolt

Most of he guns here now are junk. The Haitians have a terrible/nonexistent concept of maintenance and upkeep. Most of the guards that are at ever business have mossberg 500/ rem 870 pistol grip shotguns that look like they have been laying in a bucket of saltwater. I'm sure I could find a AK if I looked hard enough, but to venture to that part of town is not a great idea with my skin color. ummm... Not to sound racist, but that the mentality here, white=money. I've een told that a new (Haitian standard) Glock 17 is around 2K. The guns are west to find, but ammo is the white whale here.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:32 PM   #13
Mausermolt

About the laws: you can get away with anything if you have enough money and know the right people. Fortunately my boss is one of those people you want to know....too bad I don't get paid crap lol