The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 3, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Dashunde

Picking my first revolver

Lately I've been itching for a little revolver, but I'm not real familiar with the different models from the various makers.

I think I'd like a 357 or 9mm snubbie with a bobbed hammer that'll hold in the SA position.
A smooth linear trigger would be nice too.

Suggestions?
Old August 3, 2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Creeper

Quote:
snubbie with a bobbed hammer that'll hold in the SA position.
What I think you're looking for is a "shrouded hammer" DA/SA. That would be something along the lines of a S&W Model 649. S&W makes another 'J' frame of that type, but I can't remember the model number off the top of my head.

Cheers,
C
Old August 4, 2012, 09:52 AM   #3
PetahW

Well, since you're new to revolvers:

Rimless cartridges (9mm) in a revolver are a PITA compared to rimmed (.357) ones.

A bobbed DA revolver (not DAO/DA-only), while being able to be cocked SA-style (IF there's grooves/purchase atop the hammer), are at risk of an accidental discharge (AD) while cocking (due to hammer slippage), and become REALLY problematic if you cock it, then for one reason or another don't fire it.
Now, you have a fully-cocked revolver, w/o an easy way to decock. (BT, DT - NTS)

The shrouded-hammer S&W's mentioned above are right up your alley, but IIRC, they're 5-shot .38 Specials, not .357 Mags (The S&W Chief's Special Model 60-9 was available in .357, but IDK if a shroud's available for it)- as is a 6-shot Colt DS w/hammer shroud.
.357 mags ARE a handful in a small-frame revolver, though.

A S&W M49

A Colt

Old August 4, 2012, 10:40 AM   #4
MrBorland

Quote:
Suggestions?
As others pointed out, forget the "bobbed hammer with SA capability" idea. Get a snubbie with a hammer spur and learn how to safely lower the cocked hammer, or better yet, get a true DAO snubbie and learn to shoot it double action.

Quote:
A smooth linear trigger would be nice too.
Not sure what you mean. You mean a smooth action with no stack? Or are you referring to the face of the trigger itself - like that of a 1911? Never seen one of those on a revolver.
Old August 4, 2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Dashunde

Sounds like 357 would be the way to go, those 9mm clips and such dont look like much fun.

I guess I'll go handle a few, dao and hammered to see what works.

I was referring to stacking in the trigger pull - I'd like to find one thats consistant throughout its pull.
Thats not really a big deal though...
Old August 4, 2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Legionnaire

Give the Ruger SP101 a look. Available DA/SA and DAO. Heavy for its size, but that helps soak up recoil. One of my favorites.
Old August 6, 2012, 12:02 PM   #7
skoro

Quote:
Suggestions?
My first suggestion is to reconsider your caliber options. As others have pointed out, 9mm requires clips and they're also extremely rare and tend to be overly expensive for what they are. And 357mag in a compact snub is murder on your hands.

My second suggestion is to try out a S&W model 642/442. It's almost perfect for concealed carry and 38+P rounds are plenty potent.
Old August 6, 2012, 12:25 PM   #8
BigJimP

You should go to a range that rents guns ...see what they have....and see what fits your hands and evaluate the trigger pulls both in double action and single action.

In general - you're going to see a lot of S&W's and Rugers...there is a difference in the triggers / and you need to hold and dry fire probably 5 or 6 of each to really see what you like or don't like. To me, there is a big difference in the quality of the S&W triggers over Ruger ...but what matters is what you think.

S&W in general...
J frames ...are the smaller guns ( mod 36's, 38's, 649's, etc usually .38 spl ).

K frames ...are mid sized...and a lot more options there. Mod 19's, 66's, etc..and that's where you'll find a lot more .357 mags / and you can shoot .38 spl in them of course. Still comfortable for carry.

L frames ...mod 686 ...a little bigger..

N frames ...mod 27, 28's, etc...Large frame / nice guns - but probably too big too carry / I wouldn't want one Inside Waist band ...but they're ok in a scabbard holster. Way too big for pocket carry...

but you should look at all 4 frame sizes....evaluate the triggers / and do the same thing on the Ruger options...then you can make an educated choice.
---------------
as an example....I find the J frames too small for my hands to be effective - I can't shoot them well at all / in the K frames - a 2 1/2" barrel model 66 ...is a good carry option - easy to carry inside waist band. Good solid guns - decent range gun - good carry gun / L frames mod 686 ...just a little heavier / N frames mod 27's are my all time favorite .357 mag and in a 4" its a great gun - but honestly too big to carry IWB. If I'm just having some range fun ...drawing from a holster....a K or L or N frame in a 4" is a lot of fun ...for tactical drills or whatever. If I go to a 6" barrel, it will still fit holsters I have...but I really have to drag them up and out of the holster a long ways ( doesn't seem like much ) but the extra 2" is a different move to raise my elbow and shoulder that high. I like the 6" as a range target gun ...not a tactical gun / but I like carrying a 6" in the woods ..../ 8 3/8" barrels on some S&W's -- drawing them, is like drawing a carbine...makes no sense....but in a mod 29, .44 mag, they're fun to shoot too.

So you have to figure out how you fit in all those dynamics of weight, barrel length, etc....and find a gun you like.
Old August 7, 2012, 12:48 PM   #9
spacecoast

Quote:
What I think you're looking for is a "shrouded hammer" DA/SA. That would be something along the lines of a S&W Model 649. S&W makes another 'J' frame of that type, but I can't remember the model number off the top of my head.
It's the 638.

Quote:
Rimless cartridges (9mm) in a revolver are a PITA compared to rimmed (.357) ones.
Depends on how you look at it... moon clips are extremely convenient to use and can make for faster reloads. .45ACP revolvers are some of my favorites.

Since the OP doesn't sound that familiar with revolvers (and wants a "little" one), I would try a variety of S&W J and K-frames. A K-frame snubby is a real joy to shoot, much more comfortable than a J-frame, but if it's for carry he'll eventually settle on a J-frame or a Ruger LCR. I prefer to carry .38 special ammo (and guns) for several reasons, but a .357 is the more versatile choice. Just don't think you will enjoy shooting an Airweight .357, unless you've already lost all feeling in your hands.

Here's my self-bobbed 637-2 (.38 special) showing what I did to minimize the hammer yet still permit SA.

Last edited by spacecoast; August 7, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old August 7, 2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Sigep538

I might look at a Ruger LCR. It wont win any beauty contests but the DAO trigger is wonderfuly smooth for a small revolver. Please try one and compare to others.

I have a SP101, I think it looks much better but the double action trigger is nowhere near as good as the LCR.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:27 PM   #11
ltc444

Ditto on Big Jims comments.

Try them all then decide.