The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 8, 2014, 03:30 AM   #1
toppermost

RIA 1911 tactical

So I thinking about breaking down and buying RIA tactical to throw in my glove compartment (because the price is right). But I would probably also take it hiking every now and then, so my question is:

I want to replace the extended, ambidextrous thumb safety with a short, GI style thumb safety (when hiking I prefer holsters with a thumb snap). I notice that on the RIA tactical the sear pin has a little flange on the right hand side that presumably keeps the right hand thumb safety from falling off (?).

Is this "easily" removed and replaced? I dont think I will buy it if its going to be a P.I.A. or require an actual smith.

(I have replaced hammers and beaver tails before, seemed easy enough).
Old January 8, 2014, 03:54 AM   #2
Jammer Six

My suggestion is this: if you don't know, don't do it. See a gunsmith.
Old January 9, 2014, 12:22 PM   #3
toppermost

Thank you for the non-answer.
Old January 9, 2014, 04:59 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't have an RIA, but the sear pin flange normally goes on the left side and the pin is held in by the normal safety (same with the hammer pin). The right hand lever (it has no actual safety function) is held on by the right grip, which has to be cut out a bit on the inside to allow the safety to work.

Jim
Old January 9, 2014, 10:38 PM   #5
Hog Red

maybe someone else will chime in but you can always save the $50 and just get a GI version. I have the tactical version but if i were actually going to carry it i would rather not have the extended beavertail. just me
Old January 9, 2014, 11:06 PM   #6
toppermost

Quote:
I don't have an RIA... normally... the right hand lever (it has no actual safety function) is held on by the right grip, which has to be cut out a bit on the inside
yeah.... all of that notwithstanding, RIA 1911s are as I described in my first post.
Old January 10, 2014, 03:14 AM   #7
JRH6856

What you are describing is a Colt style ambidextrous safety. The left and right thumb levers each have half the pin that holds the grip safety and fit together with a tongue in grove. The right side lever generally has a milled edge at the front that fits into a slot cut into an extended sear pin. This holds the right lever in place without requiring modification of the grip panels.

The safety system can be replaced with a standard GI type 1911 safety and sear pin. However, the sear block on the safety has to be fitted to the individual gun for 100% safe operation. This is not a drop in job.

If you want to try it yourself, there are videos on YouTube demonstrating the process, but it isn't always as easy as it looks. If in doubt, have it done by a qualified smith or armorer.
Old January 10, 2014, 09:00 AM   #8
HiBC

Jammer 6 actually gave you a pretty good answer,just not much explanation.

JRH5686 is spot on.
Old January 10, 2014, 12:04 PM   #9
RickB

The factory sear pin can just be ground flush with the frame, if you don't want to replace it. Fitting the safety to the sear, and perhaps the plunger, is not difficult, but you have to know what you're doing.
And, not all safeties are created equal. I installed a Chip McCormick ambi in fifteen minutes, and I've spent a couple of hours on a Cylinder & Slide.
Old January 10, 2014, 12:39 PM   #10
toppermost

Excellent, relevant answers. Thank you!
Old January 10, 2014, 04:23 PM   #11
Jammer Six

You're welcome.
Old January 10, 2014, 06:54 PM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
I don't have an RIA, but the sear pin flange normally goes on the left side and the pin is held in by the normal safety (same with the hammer pin). The right hand lever (it has no actual safety function) is held on by the right grip, which has to be cut out a bit on the inside to allow the safety to work.
Not on a Rock Island. The sear pin is notched on the right side and the flange on the safety rides in the notch. The RI can use grips designed for a non ambi safety. I think you can see how its set up in this pic.

Old January 10, 2014, 10:08 PM   #13
Doc Hoy

1911s are like 1851 Colts

They are so beautiful I want every one I see.
Old January 11, 2014, 02:44 AM   #14
HiBC

To think about some...
I like the stock Colt safety,too.I just do not prefer to have a canoe paddle blade attached.To those who like the canoe paddle,enjoy!!There is room for preference.

I do think this ambi setup is interesting,and,if a person is in a serious side arm situation,your right hand may be busy or injured.Ambi safety can be good.

So.could be a lot of extra canoe paddle could be belt sanded/filed off to a Colt style config.

You can do that with your eyeball,it won't alter function.Retain the ambi,just make it inobtrusive,yet functional.
If you do cut it down,go slow,keep it cool.Heat can soften the steel
Old January 11, 2014, 12:15 PM   #15
gyvel

Quote:
The factory sear pin can just be ground flush with the frame,
A replacement pin is maybe a $1.50. Save your original parts in case you want to put it back to original at some future date, perhaps to sell it.

Replacing the thumb safety, however, is a bit of a problem. You must ensure that it completely and tightly locks the sear. Most new replacement thumb safeties have the necessary locking surface purposely oversize so the proper fit can be made. Avoid getting a used thumb safety if at all possible (such as a used G.I. part).

I have always found that fitting a new thumb safety is easiest if you do it with the grip safety off. Then you can see exactly what is going on with the sear-safety-hammer relationship.

Last edited by gyvel; January 11, 2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old January 11, 2014, 06:48 PM   #16
toppermost

hmmm... I kind of like the grinding idea. Get an extra safety for backup/resale down the road.

Old January 13, 2014, 07:22 PM   #17
AKexpat

I am in the process of doing a 1911 bare frame up pistol (Olympic Arms Matchmaster carbon steel) using SARCO parts (the $90 deal) with a JA Ciener
.22 conversion kit. All parts fit (with a lot of fitting), the trigger pull is about 5#, and I have to get the frame and MSH parked by OLY, about an hour's drive from here. I would prefer a zinc phosphate but OLY does a black mag phosphate.

I am in a quandary insofar as the frame finish. I would prefer a grey park, but that would entail much labor and possibly a glass-bead or a sandblast finish.

Push back, please.

Jim
Old January 14, 2014, 08:32 AM   #18
HiBC

AK expat:

I suggest you log in,come back to the Smithy,and look up at the toolbar for "new thread"

Come up with a catchy title like "Grey Parkerizing questions?"

Then folks can find you.You are pretty lost as an obscure post in another topic.

Good luck!