The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 10, 2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Danger7

Accu-trigger

I'm thinking of purchasing a Savage Axis XP. The stock trigger is not what I really want in the rifle. I would like to switch it out with the accu-trigger. Is it compatable with that model?
Old December 10, 2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Pahoo

Savage has your answer and back

Quote:
Is it compatable with that model?
Not to put you off but feel that your question, might be is best answered by the folks at Savage. They are super good folks to deal with and I personally have found them to be very accommodating or at least, they will give it a good try. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 10, 2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

By the time you screwed around getting an Accutrigger and making it work, you'd be much better off just buying a Savage with an Accutrigger.

As an example, a Savage Axis chambered in .223 costs about $285 at Bud's Gun Shop. The Savage 11 in .223 with a scope is $365.
Old December 12, 2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Danger7

Thanks Guys great guidance on both fronts.
Old December 12, 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
PawPaw

On the other hand, Timney makes a replacement trigger for the Axis

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 12, 2013, 11:20 PM   #6
Huffmanite

Seem to recall a fellow range member installed an accutrigger on a stevens 200. Trigger in Stevens is basically same trigger in the Axis. However, the safety on the Accu trigger no longer worked.

I'd suggest you think about spending a little more and buy a Ruger American or a Marlin X Rifle. Yes, they cost a little more than an Axis, but shoot fairly accurately and both have a decent adjustable factory trigger.
Old December 29, 2013, 07:48 PM   #7
blitzfike

ACCUTRIGGER

The Savage Axis and the current (New) model stevens 200 do have a very similar trigger. The accutrigger won't fit either of those actions without some serious modifications. The aftermarket trigger for the Axis is a pretty good swap, and for the Stevens 200, you can get a couple of different decent triggers. The older Stevens 200 trigger is basically the same trigger as in the non accutrigger model 10/110 series rifles. There is a wealth of good info in the faqs at wwwl.savageshooters.com. I do most of my rifle builds on the Savage series rifles today, I love the barrel nut system. P.S. The barrel thread on the Axis is the same as the rest of the small shank savage/stevens series rifles. The fact that there are now commercially available after market triggers and stocks for the Axis is making it more desirable for making your own custom rifle. Blitzfike