The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 13, 2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Steezy

Ruger Hawkeye

I've had a new Ruger 7mm mag bolt rifle sitting in my safe for a couple years now. I bought a 12x Leupold scope for it with the intentions of long distance hunting with it. I have tried using weaver high scope rings and now leupold rings, and neither set will tighten down on the front part of the receiver... is my receiver "bad?" Anyone else have this problem? The rifle was manufactured in about '07-09. Thanks to all who respond, I will take pics of the whole mess later.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:49 PM   #2
603Country

Get the Ruger rings. Problem should be solved.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Ruger480

Send pics anyway
Old April 14, 2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Chowder

Yes pictures will make it work . I do not own a hawkeye but I have a friend who just bought one and it came with the Ruger rings. I helped him sight it in and the Ruger rings worked great. I suppose they should though since they were made for the rifle. Let us know how that 7mm shoots! I am in the middle of a move and also injured so my Savage 7mm is still in pieced waiting for the attention it deserves!
Old April 15, 2013, 09:15 AM   #5
AllenJ

+1 for 603Country's response. Midway has a pdf that tells you which Ruger rings to use with different size scopes, you can find it here: http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc...licationCharts

Look for Ruger Ring Chart.

Last edited by AllenJ; April 15, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old April 15, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Steezy

Thanks for the replies! Actually, I think I have tried the Ruger rings that it came with, but they weren't high enough for the 50?mm scope. I don't even know if the ruger rings are in the shop now or if they are on a different rifle I will have pictures up late tonight, they new GF has the cellphone and that is my only source of getting pictures to my computer
Old April 15, 2013, 10:02 AM   #7
jmr40

Order directly from Ruger.

http://shopruger.com/searchprods.asp

The neat thing about Ruger rings is that you typically only need to order 1 ring to change height. They come in 4 heights. Low, medium, high, and extra high. They come from the factory with 1 medium ring which goes on the front. Place the high ring on ring on the rear for scopes up to 40mm. If you want a higher setup just move the high ring to the front and order an extra high for the rear.