The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 2, 2013, 06:40 AM   #26
NWCP

If I were you I'd have at least one AR in the gun safe, but here lately you'd be luck to find one. Stag Arms has posted that they are one year backordered on all their AR rifles and pistols. One year! that's just insane. At least hold on to your SKS until the political smoke clears on the future of the AR15. When the AWB either dies on the vine, or become law you'll get a better idea of what the real market will be. Right now though rifles, ammo, high cap magazines, uppers and lowers are harder than hen's teeth to find. I'm thankful to have owned my rifles well before Obama and the anti gun crowd took control. I'll be OK unless they conger up some way to confiscate AR rifles from legitimate owners. I wouldn't put it past Feinstein and company to try just that. Until then the wife and I are fairly stingy with our AR sessions at the gun club. It's getting harder to replace the ammo we use and I like keeping ammo on hand.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:25 AM   #27
Yung.gunr

If I were in your shoes and wanted to do something NOW I would probably trade two of my SKS for an AK variant and some more ammo. Right now is possibly the worst time to get into an AR and 5.56/.223.

If you really want an AR and really want to get into 5.56/.223 I would hang on for a couple months to see if all this nonsense blows over. If it doesn't you still have three SKSssss (what's the correct spelling of plural SKS rifles... Lol).
Old January 2, 2013, 09:06 PM   #28
FairWarning

The AR has superior accuracy and precision, but forget about buying one in the next year or two unless you want to pay a vastly inflated entry free.

The SKS spits in the face of bad treatment and bad ammo, but isn't a tool you would use to pick off targets at long range. But then again, hopefully you have something more specialized for that.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:29 PM   #29
doofus47

If you have 3, you have flexibility. I say sell an SKS and save the money for a college fund...

When there's a panic buy, it's only a matter of time until there's a fire sale. I wouldn't sweat having an AR right now.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:49 PM   #30
elDiabloLoco

Dang. Passed up buying a SKS' in the late 80's for $75 from a guy that had crates full of them. Started really regretting my foolishness over this past summer when looking at ammo prices.....and now there's a feeding frenzy in the market.

Patience will hopefully provide. Sure like the x39 caliber. Too bad there are not more rifles chambered for it.