The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: If both OC and CC is/were an option, which of the following best applies to you:
OC all the time 1 0.82%
OC most of the time but CC on occasion 9 7.38%
CC all of the time 49 40.16%
CC most of the time but OC on occasion 63 51.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 4, 2013, 09:31 PM   #26
armoredman

Quote:
And that worked 100 years ago when there was no law and order and very little population.
And it still works today, in a state with 6.5 million residents, less than a borough of NYC, I think.
The unloaded guns in CA was a political effort that did backfire - the population wasn't used to it, and the leftists that run things out there ran scared. I pity them.
I don't take offense personally, but you did demean all those who do carry openly, as a legal option, and while sometimes it may be unwise for certain places/locations/political subdivisions, it does work very well here in most circumstances. Of course, with Constitutional Carry, we can carry either way without a government permission slip, which is very nice.
Once again, thank you for your viewpoint, which is always valuable.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:35 AM   #27
JimmyR

I tend to wear my EDC in an OWB holster. In the winter, this tends to be CC, in the summer, it tends to be OC. I live on the border of Indiana and Kentucky, both states that, with my IN LTCH, allow me to carry openly or concealed in either state. I have carried both ways in both states, and occasionally been engaged by others. Most simply ask why I carry. Others ask questions about the legality of carrying. Others thank me for carrying. I catch more grief about my OC tendencies by gun owners online than from the people around me.

Funny thing, that.
Old April 5, 2013, 06:43 AM   #28
Willie Sutton

I carry for two reasons:

(1): Self Defense

(2): Utility (hunting and hiking).

For Utility, there are no tactics: See a snake, shoot a snake. See a rabbit, shoot a rabbit and plan dinner. See a bear, stand still, yell... and shoot if needed. Open carry is the right tool.

For self defense, surprise is an important tool in the box. I will not give up that element of advantage. Anyone carrying OC for self defense is taking one advantage (openly advertising "don't tread on me") but at the same time giving advantage to someone who might not be swayed by that, and in fact you might simply be a target for being shot "before you get to say howdy" by a determined assailant (who might just want to steal your handgun). I'd prefer to be invisible, and to fade into the noise.

"Political" Open Carry is generally juvenile although in a concerted effort, as was done in Ohio, might obtain some results. Generally, it's not about defense, it's about making a statement. That's not me. I make a statement when I send $10K to the SAF every December.

Willie

Old April 5, 2013, 07:09 AM   #29
steve666

Here in Indiana we have both as long as you have a LTCH (License to Carry Handgun). I selected the CC all the time option. I personally believe that when you OC it is just asking for trouble -
1. From the general run of sheeple, who are shocked and scared
2. From the cops they call on you
and finally
3. It just says to the bad guys "SHOOT ME FIRST"
Old April 5, 2013, 07:39 AM   #30
eldermike

Small frame auto or revolver in my left front pocket, keys and pocket knife in the other pocket, it's part of getting dressed. If it prints I go on a diet.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:53 AM   #31
TailGator

Lots of good reasons for CC have been elucidated, and I agree with almost all of them. But it would like an option for OC when I am working outside.
Old April 5, 2013, 11:14 AM   #32
Gallstones

I do live in such a state where I can do either, my choice. Currently we do require a Shall Issue permit to carry concealed, but there is a Bill before the legislature right now [I tried looking for a report on the status but haven't found anything yet] to make it legal to carry concelaed without permit. One is required to know if one would pass the check for a permit though. If you know you can't pass the permit check then you can't legally carry concealed at all. Since anyone who is not ineligible to keep and bear can carry concealed outside city limits, this law would open up to carry in town without formal permit.

Anyone who is not ineligible to keep and bear can open carry without permit everywhere except public and government buildings.

ETA: House Bill 304,
Quote:
a logical addition to state law that gives city dwellers the same privileges as rural residents, who already can carry a concealed weapon without a permit.
It is on the Governor's desk waiting for signature.

Last edited by Gallstones; April 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old April 5, 2013, 11:39 AM   #33
Gallstones

My personal philosophy is that I would like to see open carry as a more common thing in the hope that it would desensitize the public to firearms and the people who bear them.

I bet it would even bring in tourist revenue--you know, people from liberal, highly gun restricted Europe coming here just to see for themselves how the US is awash in guns like the old west.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:10 PM   #34
Gallstones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinFL
And that worked 100 years ago when there was no law and order and very little population. I lived in NV, even sparser than your AZ and I don't agree on OC where CC is a better way to go.
MY opinion - you want to take it as an insult, please feel free, won't change my view. No different than those in CA a few years ago who were OCing unloaded guns - a Hey look at me attempt that did more harm than good.

Again -out hunting?, working open range with cattle? walking your dog where the illegals are crossing your property? No problem, go for it. Walking down the street holding your little kid's hand to get an ice cream? Sorry, not seeing the need for that
OK. You don't then. Others may.

Many valid POVs being expressed, "I don't like it just because attention whoring" kinda falls short of that. Still, there is some morsel for thought in your message.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:26 PM   #35
bikerbill

CC all the time, as I do now ... the fewer people who know I'm armed, the better I like it ...
Old April 5, 2013, 01:23 PM   #36
lefteye

Both are an option - my state permit is to carry - I prefer discrete CC and I am happy that an unintended showing of my CC handgun has no legal consequence in my state.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:45 PM   #37
lcpiper

I live in a state where not only do we have OC and CC, but we have Constitutional Carry so even concealed doesn't have to be concealed and I don't need a permit to CC. I strap it on and mostly conceal it, but not to a point where if it prints or shows I have to worry about it, cause I don't.

I just wish I could carry to work on the base but they are more paranoid on the base then anywhere short of the county cout house maybe, and Buffalo Wild Wings of course
Old April 5, 2013, 02:10 PM   #38
P5 Guy

Florida was a leader in SHALL ISSUE law and at that time open carry was abolished except under very limited circumstances. Open carry is lawful on or in one's own property, while hunting, fishing and camping. (IIRC).
I CC in public and see no problem with anyone that would choose to carry openly, and I might be joining in on the open carry, it gets hot and humid in the Tampa area. Comfort is my only reason for open carrying.
Old April 5, 2013, 02:17 PM   #39
BigD_in_FL

You might try pocket carry then like I do - works fine in the heat as I wear shorts about 50 out of 52 weeks each year
Old April 5, 2013, 02:27 PM   #40
Wyoredman

Both are legal here. Most people don't OC, unless they are headed to the hills or out shooting. Most people OC with rifles in their truck racks, but CC when out and about on the town.

I would guess most people are CCing, unless it is fall, then most people are OCing! Hunting season, you know!

BTW, no permit needed to CC or OC, here in the wild west!
Old April 5, 2013, 04:12 PM   #41
Coyote Blue

Quote:
BTW, no permit needed to CC or OC, here in the wild west!
Only if you are a Wyoming resident. Unlike Alaska,Arizona or Vermont, where you can wander in from Czechoslovakia, strap on and cowboy up!

All others need a permit to concealed carry that has reciprocity with Wyoming.
Open Carry is OK,Czechs!

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old April 5, 2013, 04:21 PM   #42
Wyoredman

Coyote Blue, You are correct. I believe that is a terrible rule and I have told my State Reps as much.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:27 PM   #43
Coyote Blue

You are right. It is a terrible rule and has already landed some folks in a Wyoming hoosegow. We have to spread the word that as of this moment,you must have a permit honored by Wyoming to concealed carry in the Cowboy State.

I love Wyoming and Florida is honored there. But that asinine law has to change to reflect true Constitutional Carry,ala AK,AZ and VT.

At least Wyoming is halfway there. Florida is one of just 5 states that forbid OC. We lost it in 1987.

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old April 7, 2013, 01:17 PM   #44
CSG

The only time I open carry is in the back country unless I'm on a SAR mission (where we're *advised* to conceal).
Old April 7, 2013, 01:29 PM   #45
Dr Big Bird PhD

There is no way I would OC around southern california. However, I would do it on the rare occasion me and my friends go up into the mid-state area or NorCal wooded area.

That's about it other than private property
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old April 8, 2013, 06:10 AM   #46
kahrguy

I live in a CC/OC state but only time I will OC is when hunting. For 26 years I have CC and will keep it that way. No use advertising the fact that a firearm is on me.
Old April 8, 2013, 02:10 PM   #47
Tom Servo
Staff

If I'm carrying for self-protection, concealment has the advantage. Concealment itself is a form of weapon retention, and if nobody's aware that I'm armed, I have the option of avoiding or disengaging from situations where violence may be brewing.

Carrying openly adds an element of risk back into an equation meant to reduce risk.
Old April 9, 2013, 12:04 PM   #48
mrray13

My state doesn't allow any...yet. That said, I'm an LEO, so I get too, and most of the time not on duty, it's CC, but without worry about printing or anything. I have OC'd off duty a few times, and only once did I ever hear anything. A little girl at a local steakhouse pointed at me and said, in a fairly hushed voice," mommy, he has a gun". The mom smiled at me and told her daughter, " it's alright, he's probably a police officer. I wish your daddy and I could carry ours". I agreed with mommy. Otherwise, as most who OC have mentioned, it's never been really noticed, or mentioned to me.

And the argument about concealment as a tactical advantage is valid, but so is the speed of OC. As far as getting singled out, one can also argue OC is preventative, most criminals I've arrested don't go after hard targets like guard dogs, they go after the sheep. In short, both ways are good, if done right, both have pros and cons, what we need is more folks doing it either way, and doing it responsibly.
Old April 9, 2013, 01:42 PM   #49
justplainpossum

I open carry, but only on my ranch, or on my neighbor's ranch, if needed. Does that count?
Old April 9, 2013, 01:50 PM   #50
spacemanspiff

I live in AK. Open carry is not uncommon. Nor does it raise eyebrows.

Now, do I open carry? Not often,