The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2010, 11:30 AM   #1
John L. Smith

00 Buck through a Turkey choke tube

I have a H.S. Strut Undertaker super full turkey choke tube that is designed to handle lead and cooper plated lead shot. The recommended shot sizes are #4,5 or 6 shot. I want to use lead 00 Buck on hogs. Does anyone know if this tube will safely handle 00 Buck?

Thanks
Old September 6, 2010, 11:51 AM   #2
mete

I don't think that's a good idea .Much harder to squeeze the 00 through that choke than the #5 .If you can get a more open choke try it. In any case always pattern your loads , never assume .
Old September 6, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Doyle

Buckshot through too tight of a choke actually has an opposite effect than the one you want. As the shot cup squeezes through it puts rebounding pressure on the shot and that rebound makes the shot string start to spread earlier than it would have if shot through a less restrictive choke.
Old September 6, 2010, 12:34 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not to mention the risk of deforming the once round balls causing unpredictable flight paths which will result in missed shots all together...

Brent
Old September 6, 2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Couzin

Yeah - you run the risk of bulging the barrel or spitting the choke tube, or worse. I wouldn't do it. As stated, even if the shot makes it through the constricted choke, it will probably be deformed and there will be flyer shot all over.
Old September 6, 2010, 01:38 PM   #6
John L. Smith

Ok, now how about a full choke?
Old September 6, 2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

In my experience with two of my full choked shotguns 00 and 000 both spread out to fast to be very effective beyond 10 yards or more. Shooting at a rabbit size target with 12 and 10 gauge with full choke and shooting both sizes of shot I was lucky to get a single pellet in the rabbit and sometimes I was lucky to hit paper. Everything from #6 lead shot on up to #3 steel shot grouped just fine at that range. Buck shot not so good.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 6, 2010, 07:00 PM   #8
highvel

You are better off looking into a choke that is designed for buckshot, like a "buck kicker" choke or others that will shoot buckshot very well out to 50-60 yds.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old September 6, 2010, 07:28 PM   #9
TheNatureBoy

I don't know if I would do that. There is a reason why certain size shot is recommended for that particular turkey choke.
Old September 7, 2010, 09:09 AM   #10
greyeyezz

I've tried 00 out of my super full turkey tube. Full and modified grouped tighter @ 25 yrds. I doubt you would bulge the barrel. I'd be more concerned bulging the barrel shooting slugs from a full choke.

Last edited by greyeyezz; September 7, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old September 8, 2010, 01:26 AM   #11
bamaranger

no bulges

Lead 00buck will go through the turkey choke, but take a beating in the process. I strongly doubt that the steel tube and bbl will be in danger. But the likelihood of the patterns being usable is doubtful. The pellets will likely be highly deformed. A full tube may do better. Many folks claim a "modified" tube does best w/ big buckshot.

I say MAY because shot and chokes are a "each to their own" kinda thing.

Tubes are plentiful and cheap. Borrow some if you can and shoot and see.

I have fired buckshot 4B through turkey chokes on my Rem 870 w/ no harm.
Old September 9, 2010, 03:09 AM   #12
JKump

For 00 buck shot use a modified choke, that should give you the best pattern. However, to know for sure pattern different choke. I know that the Georgia State Patrol has all of their shotgun with Modified chokes and that at the Ga. public Safety training center, they recommend Modified chokes for duty shotguns.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old September 9, 2010, 08:16 AM   #13
.45 COLT

John L. Smith wrote:
Quote:
Ok, now how about a full choke?
I load/shoot/play with quite a few 00 Buck loads. Usually shot that's stacked by 2s in the shell like a choke Modified and tighter. I've never tried any through anything tighter than a Full. Stacked by 3s shoot better in the more open chokes, CB to Modified.

DC