The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 30, 2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Revolver Gustav

Help Me Choose an Auto

I'm sixteen and my dad let me save up for a small, .22 revolver a little while ago, but it has problems and I'd like something with a bit more power. I was thinking of a Glock 17 after hearing of it's torture tests and incredible reliability, but then at the Acedemy we have around here I saw a Beretta 92 for fifty dollars more than the Glock. I still like the Glock but comparing the two, as I said in another post, is like comparing a beautiful woman to a cinderblock. The Beretta is certainly better to look at than the Glock, but it's more expensive and has a slightly smaller magazine capacity, so... which one would be recomended more? Would the Beretta have a lighter trigger pull?
Old July 30, 2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Dwight55

My son's first pistol was a Browning .22 semi auto pistol. His second hand gun was a Browning .22 semi auto pistol.

He bought his third which was a Steyr 9mm, . . . his 4th was the 5 point something "cop killer" gun that was all the rage for a while. Those are both gone, . . . along with a Glock and another one or two.

What does he like to shoot, . . . Dad's 1911 of course, . . . especially if Dad will pony up the ammo (and he does).

If you were my son, . . . I'd treat you the same, . . . get you a good semi auto .22 (Browning makes the best IMHO), . . . and I'd point you toward a 1911 in .45 ACP. Springfield Armory would be my first choice, . . . followed by any used Colt.

Yes, . . . it is more expensive to shoot than a 9mm, . . . and yes, . . . it takes a bit more talent and intelligence to handle it correctly, . . . but it is well worth the effort as it is by far safer (IMHO) than any of the others, . . . lends itself well to tinkering, . . . and is far more esthetically pleasing (again IMHO).

Best wishes, . . . and may God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 30, 2006, 06:39 PM   #3
hpg

Ruger MKII or MKIII
Ruger 10/45
Old July 30, 2006, 07:42 PM   #4
Dr_2_B

Gustav,

Glad to have you on-board here and congratulations on your recently-begun journey. I disagree with Dwight that the 1911 should be your choice. I would stick with one of those you mentioned and I believe you should go with the GLOCK 17. My first gun when I was about 14 was a 22. My second, given to me by my dad, was a G17. The Beretta is a beautiful piece and an excellent firearm, but it is very big and very heavy. In fact, it's hard to find a 9mm larger and heavier than a Beretta. The GLOCK conceals better (for when you're old enough to do that), and it is of course a dream to shoot. It will hold up well and it will give you years of excellent service. Hope you enjoy. Let us know what you decide.
Old July 30, 2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Turkey222

I had a Beretta 96 (Same as 92 just in 40SW) Didn't like it that much...So i bought a springfield XD Love it Never did like glocks......So going with those choices get the XD haha

Im only 17 and I have 3 pistols just get whatever feels best in your hands. And try to shoot those guns as much as you can before you buy one
Old July 30, 2006, 11:48 PM   #6
Revolver Gustav

Thanks, matheath, for the GLOCK endorsement. It is a nice gun. Tell me: do they come with the seventeen-round magazines (new) or the ten-round ones? It won't really effect my decision any, but I'd like to know.
Old July 31, 2006, 12:38 AM   #7
rhgunguy

The mag capacity depends upon your state. So does possesion of a handgun by a 16 year old. I am assuming that you will be putting up the cash and your parent/guardian will be the lawful owner with you taking possesion on your 18th birthday.

Glocks are great guns, but it realy depends upon which you shoot best. If you can not try before you buy, go with which ever one feels the best for you and points most natural.

Personaly between the two, I would go with the Glock. It is a great gun for IPSC production division. The grip angle and low bore-axis realy eat the recoil up on my G35, so I imagine that a G17 would be a pussycat. Depending on which trigger your gun has it can be good or it can be horrible. The good news is that getting a lighter trigger pull is something I have seen done in a gunshop for $20 and 10 minutes. Guy literaly walked in, pulled his padle holster off and handed it, gun and all to the owner of the store and told him he wanted a lighter trigger. Owner gets up, goes over to a rack and gets the 3.5# disconnector, unloads the gun, strips it down and has it back together in no time.
Old July 31, 2006, 01:36 AM   #8
Revolver Gustav

"I am assuming that you will be putting up the cash and your parent/guardian will be the lawful owner with you taking possesion on your 18th birthday."

Yeah, that's it. Or twenty-one, I'm not sure which. But yeah, I like the Glock and I'll think about the trigger-job after I fire it. Is there a site where I can find laws according to that stuff? I guess I can always get a 17 mag on the internet or something, but it'd be more of a pain...
Old July 31, 2006, 01:55 AM   #9
shield20

My 1st handgun - used for CCW and then as a duty weapon, was a 92F. An awesome pistol that NEVER failed...had that Beretta for near 20 years w/o a hickup. Anyway - as mentioned above it is a bit big for a normal carry gun - though the extra weight will eat up recoil. The 92F has a conventional DA/SA - lonng and heavy 1st pull, with a slightly sloppy SA trigger - actually not too bad for a 1st gun and one you can easily get used to. It WILL smooth out till like glass - the more you shoot it the better it gets. Safety deccker can be a nice feature too. You will most likely notice a difference between the grip angles on the Glock vs Beretta - so one will may point more naturally then the other.
If you can find one, a Cougar also makes a great choice - very similiar piece in a smaller package. The new PX4 seems pretty popular too.
Old July 31, 2006, 03:56 AM   #10
timothy75

Either of those will serve you well for defense. The 92 might have an edge in target shooting which I imagine you'll be doing alot of for the time. You can also practice DA and SA trigger pulls with it if you ever want to switch to a 1911 or revolver you'll have some experience. Also if your dad will let you keep it for home defense you might like the decock saftey feature.
Old July 31, 2006, 04:38 AM   #11
maas

once you shoot a 1911 in 45 theres no going back

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old July 31, 2006, 11:46 AM   #12
Revolver Gustav

Whichever I get now won't be used later for concealed weapon carry. When I'm twenty-one (on the exact day) I'm going to get myself a snub-nose revolver or a compact GLOCK or something, a concealment holster, and take the class at a pistol range we have around here. Using either of these for concealed is not an issue. Just to say.
Old July 31, 2006, 12:02 PM   #13
ATW525

Quote:
The Beretta is certainly better to look at than the Glock, but it's more expensive and has a slightly smaller magazine capacity
17 round flush fitting magazines are regularly available for the Beretta 92 now, so magazine capacity isn't an issue.
Old July 31, 2006, 02:00 PM   #14
TheGreatGonzo

Get yourself a Ruger P95DC and spend the money you just saved on your girlfriend.
Old July 31, 2006, 05:37 PM   #15
hot sauce

Glock's are cool but I prefer my Beretta PX4. Have you thought about one of those? Same mag capacity as a Glock and has a manual safety. Holster choices suck right now and Glock mag's are cheaper though.
Old July 31, 2006, 06:16 PM   #16
MidnightRambler

I'll take the cinderblock. I don't give a hoot what guns look like, I want mine to be reliable. And Glocks are the most reliable handguns in general I've ever owned, apart from revolvers.

Although, I also recently got a Ruger P95 for only $319 brand new, and it's a darn good gun.

It's just too heavy for me to carry.
Old July 31, 2006, 08:13 PM   #17
duckcallinfool

I have to put one in here for the Sig P229. The DA/SA is simple to use and not hard at all to learn. The slightly higher weight really helps with recoil. Reliabilty comes standard on all Sigs and the price will be competitive with the Glock and the Beretta.
Old July 31, 2006, 08:27 PM   #18
swk314

I second the Sig recommendation...they are a bit pricey but you can get a certfified used one for less money.