The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 1999, 08:19 PM   #1
Matt

A couple of mounths ago i bought a dilloin 550,set up for 45acp.ZERO problems.My brother just gave me all his reloadin gear,dies for 223,30-06,44mag,357,9,all needed.None dillion.Are they worth useing on my rig?The thing works great with dillion,will it work as good with these?

------------------
Thanks,Matt
Old November 15, 1999, 09:24 PM   #2
Big Bunny

I would carefully try, if the threads are compatible, but adaptors are available for some types of press.But I cannot really help as I use RCBS and Simplex gear and some Redding dies.
I suggest you contact DILLON and ask them, they have a great reputation for customer service and quality. E-mail even.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old November 15, 1999, 10:45 PM   #3
TheOtherMikey

Matt, I have used Lee dies with my Dillon 550B exclusively since I got the press with zero problems. Any standard die will work with the Dillon press (Except Square Deal B).

My one suggestion is that you get yourself a set of Lee taper crimp dies for everything you are reloading. They make a big difference, especially on rimless pistol and rifle rounds.

Hope this helps, and happy reloading, Mikey
Old November 15, 1999, 11:38 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If the threads fit, the dies will work. For high-volume loading, particularly pistol, carbide dies are best. While I've never used Lee dies, T.O.M.'s comment about taper crimp is good.

You'll learn as you go; just keep on reading and asking around...

Best luck, Art