The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 25, 2005, 08:20 PM   #1
rmagill

Shoulder Holster... horizontal or vertical

I am considering getting a shoulder holster for a Glock 19. I have already heard the arguements against sholder holsters due to printing issues and not being able to take off the concealing garment, but with the proper holster the former should not be an issue and the latter won't be an issue for me. I was curious, though, which type you all prefere: horizontal or vertical shoulder holsters and why. Thanks.
Old May 26, 2005, 09:53 PM   #2
Marcus

I prefer horizontal generally. Something along the lines of a Galco Miami Classic or Rosen StyleMaster. How the rig is adjusted is VERY important, almost more so than the rig itself. I do use vertical rigs for 2 things, wearing when it`s COLD and I`ve got a heavy winter coat on that`s zipped up most of the way. The other is for handguns that have barrels over 5" (so they don`t pring in the back). Marcus
Old May 27, 2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Archie

Horizontal...

I have a Galco rig that works very well with a Commander.

I would use a vertical type for a six inch or longer gun, for a woods hunting outfit. A cross draw mounted pancake holster will do that function too, by the way.

You are right, lots of people wet their pants about shoulder rigs, but if you don't touch the trigger, guns don't go off much. The biggest problem is finding a place to practise with it. Most ranges anymore get real touchy about drawing from any holster, let alone a shoulder rig. Still, they fill a niche no other holster does well.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old May 27, 2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Avizpls

just got an elite survival systems M/ASH. as long as you specify you want suspender clips for both sides, you'll be happy. very adjustable. Doesnt shift too bad if the gun side is heavier than the spare mag side (likely)

Horizontal is easier to draw, but prints on anything bigger than a G36 ish size. I have a Taurus PT140 that is ok for horiz. anything bigger tho would need to be a vert.
Old May 27, 2005, 03:57 PM   #5
LHB1

RMagill,
I prefer vertical shoulder holsters. Have never been comfortable with sweeping the barrel of a horizontally holstered pistol across other people. Used a couple of commercial brands but now have designed and made my own. One is for S&W M629 Classic .44 Mag with 5" barrel. The other is for S&W M629 Classic .44 Mag with 6.5" barrel and Leupold 2X EER scope. The latter is my "short" hunting rifle.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old May 28, 2005, 08:24 AM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Horizontal for me. I've carried a Ruger GP-100 and S&W 5906 in horizontal draw holsters with no printing problems. Even people that knew I was carrying a firearm could not detect it. It does take some getting used to the weight pressing down in top of the shoulders.
Old May 31, 2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Eric Larsen

Id say anything under a Govt. 1911 can be worn Horizontal.....but it varies from person to person. Im a little guy but can carry a decent size gun that way without printing. Its the easiest access as your not pulling up and out to get your gun. Shouldnt be a problem...............
Shoot well.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush