The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2002, 07:53 PM   #1
tango3065

maverick value

Guys i have a mossberg maverick pump with a 18.5 inch barrel been shot about 25 times looks new what can i expect to get out of this gun in trade. Oh yeah im going to get a remington 870.
Old October 14, 2002, 05:07 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not much. While it's a decent and serviceable weapon, don't expect a dealer to give you more than he can get a new one for.

Much better way is to sell it to another private citizen.Or, keep the Mav and save a little longer for the 870. No such thing as too many pump guns...
Old October 14, 2002, 03:05 PM   #3
tango3065

Thanks for the reply but im kinda afraid to sell a gun to someone when its registerd in my name, or would it really matter?
Old October 14, 2002, 04:50 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Check with your atty. Do not ask an LEO, many aren't up on the law.

On those rare occassions when I sell a gun these days to another private party,there's two copies of the bill of sale. We both sign both, each of us retains one copy. However, this may not be enough under the new laws here in the Robbery Capitol of the US, Md. Since I'm selling nothing else, no es importante.
Old October 14, 2002, 06:57 PM   #5
tango3065

Also what does everyone think of the maverick line, are they junk like ive been ready or are they a good reliable gun and they do have 2 action slides. They only reason im thinking of getting rid of it is because of what ive read and I dont like the idea of it having a alum reciever, and I want a gun i can keep for oh 20 years and my kids can still enjoy it. thanks
Old October 14, 2002, 07:15 PM   #6
HSMITH

The Mav is a decent gun. Don't abuse it, and it will work great for a long time. It NEEDS a steel safety button RIGHT NOW. That plastic one will be gone as soon as you need it.

A really rough guess would be that it will live for at least 10K rounds with no problems. I would also guess that the first failure you have is the pin for the locking lug will begin to break and the bolt will not lock up. The aluminum reciever is a dead issue if the balance of the shotguns suits you, it has NO bearing on the lockup of the shotgun during firing. The only way for a failure would be for the entire front end of the reciever to break off, it just does not happen. The bolt locks up into the barrel extension, all the reciever does is hold all the other parts and give the action somewhere to operate. ALL of the top rated autoloaders of today have alloy recievers.

The Mav is worth roughly $100 bucks if pristine, $75 if beat up a little. They were $150 new a couple years ago in the configuration you describe.

EDIT: on trade expect $50-70 if in great shape. Not trying to be a jerk, but that is all you will see unless the dealer has a lot of fluff on the item you are trading against. Sell it outright.