The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 7, 2018, 11:43 AM   #1
nanney1

IWB? 5:00 reverse

I've been experimenting with my basic nylon holster to get an idea of how I can carry IWB. So far, the most comfortable for me is at 5:00. I'm right handed, but I've seen that some will use a left hand holster if they are carrying this way. For those that carry in a similar position, do you use the opposite hand holster or not?
Old January 7, 2018, 12:43 PM   #2
BigJimP

Reverse carry...is a poor idea in my mind ( and no, I don't do it ).

In reverse carry...you run a greater risk - by sweeping more of your own body as you pull the gun from the holster and rotate it toward you as you bring it around your body to the target ..( assuming you draw it still with your right hand ).....it can be done where you do not sweep your own body if you have long arms and can rotate the gun while it is straight up and down after you pull it ...but I don't like the odds of being sucessful with that move for most shooters.

You didn't ask about it ...but cross draw --- or should rigs...are also problematic because you tend to sweep the area around you as you move to target with the gun.

I know you've been working thru this on the forum for awhile now...trying to figure out what works best for you....but I still think a good leather holster with a good strong belt..IWB on your strong side at 3 or 4 O'Clock is where you will find your solution.

For What Its Worth...and number of the young guys that work at the range I frequent...have gone to IWB at 1 O'Clock... ...where muzzle is pointed "right at your junk"...!! ...and while I understand it may have some advantages when you are seated in a vehicle...the potential downside is very high in my opinion .../ I'm in my laste 60's ...but I'm still "attached to my junk"... .. so I don't like that idea either.
Old January 7, 2018, 01:23 PM   #3
nanney1

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I asked, as I hadn't thought about sweeping the body.
Old January 7, 2018, 01:30 PM   #4
Capt Rick Hiott

Ive been carrying at 6:00 IWB for years with no problem.......
Old January 7, 2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Sgt127

Appendix carry is awesome. And fast. And, I will only do it with a true DA gun because having a cocked pistol pointed at my femoral artery makes me a little squeamish.

1911’s, Glocks, M&p’s etc are all off the table for me.

But, it’s a great easy to conceal and very accessible way to carry.

I carried for many years at 3-4-5 o’clock. It works but, for me, not optimal.
Old January 7, 2018, 08:58 PM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
I hadn't thought about sweeping the body.
Don't feel bad ..... I did the same thing when I started carrying .... among other dumb stuff. .... live and learn.
Old January 8, 2018, 12:00 AM   #7
Kemikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
That's actually really unsafe, and it has nothing to do with the gun going off. A slip and fall could result in severe spinal injury.
Old January 8, 2018, 12:22 AM   #8
BigJimP

Glad you are thinking this thru !

Personally all of my holsters IWB and Scabbard style...are Kramer Leather, always horsehide vs cowhide ( horsehide is tougher & easier on a guns finish ), with a forward FBI tilt....and I carry at 4 O'clock....with a single or double Kramer mag pouch at 9 O'clock.

The trick to a good holster is it is model, and sometimes mfg specific ( like a 5" 1911 with no rail ), or like a S&W N frame with 4" barrel ( could be used for model 27, 28, 29 or 627 etc). The point is, it fits the gun properly, holds its shape after you draw meaning you will always be able to reholster with only one hand...and they last a very long time.

A good holster holds the gun securely....so it doesn't move around making it less comfortable to wear. The forward FBI Tilt helps hold the gun against your body, so it prints less.

There are other pretty good leather holsters out there ...some are less money ...like Milt Sparks or Galco...but in general most nylon holsters cause shooters to sweat a lot and many don't hold their shape very well.
Old January 18, 2018, 04:30 AM   #9
HistoryJunky

Take your time picking a holster that suits you. If you know anyone else that carries, see if you can try their rig out.

I personally prefer holsters that have adjustable ride height and cant angle. I have 3 holsters for the same gun, my CZ P07, depending on how I'm carrying.

1 single clip IWB, 1 dual clip, full Kydex holster from Black Rhino Concealment for carrying with my Streamlight TLR-3 attached, and a basic Aliengear hybrid holster.

The Aliengear is the most comfortable. The single clip is the easiest if I know that I'll be taking it on and off a lot. It is a bit harder to conceal. The Black Rhino is the highest quality and most versatile.

Like you, when I started carrying, it was small of back carry, with a M&P 40 full size. After carrying that way for maybe a year, I realized that carrying at around 9:00 (lefty) was much faster and more comfortable for me.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old January 18, 2018, 07:04 AM   #10
BILLG

Throw the nylon holster in the trash.
Old January 18, 2018, 10:45 AM   #11
Cheapshooter

^^^
You are never going to get a good idea of the "feel" until you have a good IWB holster.
You really need to try one of the hybrid IWB holsters with the two belt clips. I think several of the makers offer a 30 day trial so you can return it if it just doesn't work for you. But if you really give it a fair trial I'm sure you won't be returning it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 18, 2018, 11:11 AM   #12
K_Mac

Most of us end up with several holsters, and trying several positions before finding what works best. I have found AIWB is best for me. I am also fond of my genitals and I do not carry a gun that spontaneously fires. I am confident and comfortable carrying this way. Confidence only comes with time and training. I carried an empty gun around the house for a couple of weeks AIWB, and trained regularly before I started using this method. Find what works for you. Good luck.
Old January 18, 2018, 01:48 PM   #13
Model12Win

It's leather or nothing. Nylon is TRASH JUNK.
Old January 18, 2018, 02:12 PM   #14
K_Mac

I have a couple of Remora holsters that are most certainly not junk. Leather and kydex also have their place. There are no one size fits all answers in my opinion.
Old January 18, 2018, 02:29 PM   #15
FITASC

Nylon is great for putting your gun in your range bag to carry there if you don't have a zippered case.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 18, 2018, 07:03 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Leather only might be alright for OWB. But it will cave in no matter how well it's made with a tight belt worn IWB. Kydex is king with some leather backing. The Kydex stays rigid, and the leather tends to mold itself to your body. Perfect match.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 18, 2018, 07:23 PM   #17
MandolinMan

Quote:
Model12Win

It's leather or nothing. Nylon is TRASH JUNK.
While I completely agree with the second statement, I must disagree with the first. My leather holsters are being replaced with kydex. Kydex holds up better, offers better retention, is sweat proof, and usually less expensive.

OP, if budget is a issue ( believe me, I understand) check out https://wethepeopleholsters.com/. Good quality and $34 bucks shipped!
Old January 18, 2018, 10:38 PM   #18
cw308

I use to carry a Walther PPK/S in 380 years , at the time I had a shoulder problem , I moved to the
2 o'clock position . At the time it seemed a natural draw but it's not a good position for the reasons posted .
Old January 19, 2018, 02:08 AM   #19
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Leather only might be alright for OWB. But it will cave in no matter how well it's made with a tight belt worn IWB.
Not sure what kind of leather you are buying but my oldest Milt Sparks holster is 16.5 years old and was worn IWB on an almost daily basis for about 12 years of that and hasn’t caved yet.
Old January 19, 2018, 10:52 AM   #20
cw308

Everything is with in reason , if you wear your belt that tight how would you draw your weapon . Bottom line is your holster should hold your weapon securely , be able to draw an holster . Buy the best holster you can afford . It's holding a dangerous tool.
Old January 19, 2018, 05:04 PM   #21
SauerGrapes

Quote:
You must be really flexible. Doesn't that hurt your tale bone? {sitting}

R.I.P.____Murphy