The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 27, 2017, 02:23 PM   #1
TrueBlue711

Best well rounded shot/choke size for waterfowl

When it comes to waterfowl hunting, you never know what you'll see fly over you. I currently carry a few different shot sizes with me, but can be a hassle swapping loads in a hurry without making the birds turn away. What is your fav sized shot you tend to use that bags anything between Teal and geese without tearing up the meat too much. The magic number I tend to see is #3 (give or take 1). Also, what choke size do you like to use in conjunction to that shot size?
Old November 29, 2017, 01:06 PM   #2
ocharry

10ga,,,,full choke,,,4's,,,they never get away

ocharry
Old November 29, 2017, 03:35 PM   #3
TrueBlue711

Forgot to mention I shoot 12 ga.
Old November 29, 2017, 07:07 PM   #4
jmr40

With steel shot I killed more with IC. Steel patterns about one choke size tighter than lead.

Full choke should never be used with steel, it will damage the gun.

But a lot depends on the location and style of hunting. If you're calling them in IC. For longer pass shooting Modified, but IC does better than you'd think.

If you're using something other than steel then you can probably choke down one size tighter.

Winston Churchill
Old November 30, 2017, 10:36 PM   #5
Worc

Huge difference between geese and teal hunting. It's not just their size differences, but their flight characteristics as they approach the decoy spread are vastly different.

While I have shoot geese with #4 steel, I don't recommend it and have done it seldom myself. For the small and darting ducks like teal that tend to be around in my area early in the season. I use mostly #4 in a 3" shell at 1,550fps. Geese usually see BB's in a 3 1/2" steel at the same velocity. #2 in 3" shell at a velocity of 1,450-1,550fps would be what I would choose for a medium. It's also the load I mostly use on larger ducks. In the last season I will at times step to a 3 1/2" shell with 1's at 1,550fps for those larger ducks. They tend to be more call shy/skittish and the temps are usually quite a bit lower.

Choke selections are based of many factors but, usually is an IC or Mod tube. There are full chokes rated for steel and other hard shot materials. I know guys who shoot fixed full chokes with steel shot with zero negative affects to their guns I don't recommend it as I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old December 1, 2017, 09:22 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

No pass shooting. My shots are made over a beaver pond that runs parallel to a old skidding trail. I.E. >jump shots. #6 on mallards and woody's. Canadians & a snow occasionally #2's. Full choke only. Seems to work best for me. (Browning Citori.)
Old December 3, 2017, 04:03 PM   #7
sixgunnin

I use 20 ga 3/4 ounce reloads of either f's or 2's
Can consistinetly beat the big boys with 3.5'' 12 ga loads. The only thing a 12 ga gains you over a 20 is range, doesnt make it any easyer to hit