The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 26, 2020, 08:58 PM   #1
BuckBerry

Vortex Optics: Viper line of rifle scopes

Hi All,
I’m wondering if all Viper scopes are of the same basic quality. Specifically, is the standard Viper 6.5-20x44 as rugged and dependable as the Viper PST Gen 2? Is the glass the same quality? Is the wide price range within the Viper line only based on features and magnification level? My current belief is that all scopes within a certain “line/title” are made with the same basic quality. With Vortex it basically goes -Crossfire, Diamondback, Viper, Razor.

Reason for asking: Viper 6.5-20x44 is on sale at MidwayUSA for $299 right now AND it comes with free Vortex rings. That’s a sweet deal for Viper anything! The PST Gen 2 can easily run $800ish. But I’m not really looking for that many features.

Anyone have any inside info on this?

Thank You
Old April 26, 2020, 10:26 PM   #2
jhansman

Buckberry, I wish I could answer your question, but I too am in the market for a scope for an incoming rifle and know nothing about Vortex except everything I read or watch says their scopes are a great value for the $$. It sounds like that Viper you have your eye on is a great deal; know that a review on Midway said the scope has been discontinued, hence the price cut, for whatever that's worth. I hope you get replies that are informative, as I'd very much like to know more about the brand. I am considering the Crossfire II 4-12x44, which gets high marks everywhere.

Last edited by jhansman; April 26, 2020 at 10:42 PM.
Old April 27, 2020, 06:10 AM   #3
Bfglowkey

Vortex makes a great value scope in the Viper HST and PST line. Depending on your use/purpose I will make a suggestion: Look at the Arken brand EP model scopes. They are available in MOA and mil, are 34 mm tubes and easily worth more then the MDRP of 549-599 listed. You can find them cheaper if you look and they have a SH line for more budget friendlier and less options packed in. The glass is beyond its price point and to my eyes equal to or barely indistinguishable to the Higher end Vortex ( it’s better then my PST gen 2 I own) Worth a peek and even if you stick with the Vortex you will have a very solid scope and the extras are also nice.
Old April 27, 2020, 10:59 AM   #4
kilotanker22

I have the Viper HST and it is very well built with excellent glass for the money. I can't answer your question directly, but based on the Vortex scopes I have now I would not hesitate to purchase the scope in question.

It is probably not built as tough as the HST or PST, because of the heir intended use. But great scopes overall
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old April 27, 2020, 11:01 AM   #5
kilotanker22

And even if it does fail for some reason you would be hard pressed to find a warranty and service as good as theirs.

The Arken optics mentioned above have an excellent warranty as well. Arken even gaurantees perfect tracking. And their flagship model is only like $500
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old April 27, 2020, 12:11 PM   #6
Rockrivr1

I've been sold on the Viper line for a while now. Currently have three Viper PST and will be looking at a forth in short order. One is a Gen I and two are Gen II. Overall I like the Gen I just as much as the Gen II. The scope you're looking at is a second focal plane scope. It's decent with some good glass and options.
Old April 28, 2020, 02:40 AM   #7
BuckBerry

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the input. For a little more to the story: I’ve owned a Viper HST 4-16x44 not too long ago and was very pleased with it. I actually went with this scope I mentioned (6.5-20x44). I figured that Vortex’s Viper line is easily worth the $$, so I went with it. So I’ll try to pop in after a short time of using it to tell you all what I think.

Thank you,
BuckBerry
Old May 3, 2020, 04:16 PM   #8
jhansman

I am looking for the Vortex Diamondback HP 4–16x42, and Midway is the only vendor showing it, but not available until Aug. 2020. Other sources say 'discontinued.' It's not showing up on the Vortex site either, so it may be this scope actually no longer exists? I'll keep looking; lord knows I have the time....
Old May 6, 2020, 09:45 AM   #9
Nathan

I have a Viper 4-16x44. It has nice clear optics. I have hit well in the field with it. The turrets work and feel good on the square range.

I have looked at a friends PST Gen 2. The turrets on it are better. I did not remember the glass much better, nor much worse.
Old May 6, 2020, 11:05 AM   #10
jhansman

Turns out that the Diamondback HP is no longer in production, so that's out. I will continue my search and post if I learn anything useful.