The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 14, 2020, 11:37 AM   #1
CDW4ME

Carrying "less" in a "good" area. Nope, no thanks.

My carry philosophy is:
Of the concealable pistols I own, carry one I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself.
There is nowhere I would prefer to defend my life a 38 snub/LCP rather than a Glock 19/23 and I carry accordingly.

Caveat: I'm not limited by work attire, retired.
Old May 14, 2020, 03:07 PM   #2
TailGator

I don't change pistols based on where I am going, but sometimes do based on what I am wearing. Specifically, I have a pocket pistol for circumstances when I don't expect IWB carry to work. Trying to predict threats is foolhardy, though, I agree.
Old May 14, 2020, 05:47 PM   #3
FireForged

I think I already responded to this in another forum
Old May 14, 2020, 08:42 PM   #4
JERRYS.

if I carry "less" its because I'm wearing less.
Old May 14, 2020, 09:03 PM   #5
TXAZ

Shouldn’t this be “Carry More in known bad areas” ?
(As in carry a SWAT guy with you in South Central)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old May 15, 2020, 08:22 AM   #6
Brit

The main purpose of picking a defensive pistol, it must work first time, all the time. The second, calibre is sufficient to punch into the chest cavity of a full-grown man.
As the difference in weight, between a 6 shot 9mm and a 16 round one, is not enough to beg off carrying a Glock 19 or one of the 6 or 7 capacity pistols.
Old May 15, 2020, 01:35 PM   #7
CDW4ME

ME:
"Of the concealable pistols I own, carry one I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself.
There is nowhere I would prefer to defend my life a 38 snub/LCP rather than a Glock 19/23 and I carry accordingly".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
The main purpose of picking a defensive pistol, it must work first time, all the time. The second, calibre is sufficient to punch into the chest cavity of a full-grown man.
As the difference in weight, between a 6 shot 9mm and a 16 round one, is not enough to beg off carrying a Glock 19 or one of the 6 or 7 capacity pistols.
You may prefer 6 -7 rounds.

I'll stick with 16 rounds 9mm, or more likely 14 rounds 40 S&W. (+ spare mag either way )
Old May 15, 2020, 09:50 PM   #8
bamaranger

guns

Almost any gun is better than no gun.....and I'd rather have a snub or a .380 than a sharp stick as they say.

But I tend to carry a serious pistol 99% the time.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:09 AM   #9
Onward Allusion

Carry whatever one wants. Even a 22LR. I carry a Glock AND a NAA, Kel Tec, or Beretta.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:19 AM   #10
TunnelRat

I tend to carry the same thing wherever I go. The only time that differs is if my clothing has to differ. I’m fortunate enough that I don’t have to go into what I would consider a “bad area” and I tend to avoid known problem areas if possible. That being said, what one person does or doesn’t choose to carry is on him/her. If someone thinks a 5 shot J frame is enough that’s on them. Unless that person’s carry choices have a direct impact on my safety, it’s really not my concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 16, 2020, 01:29 PM   #11
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
Carry whatever one wants. Even a 22LR. I carry a Glock AND a NAA, Kel Tec, or Beretta.
I have a Kahr PM9 in weak hand front pocket to go with the Glock thats IWB.
But, in this thread the focus is on primary pistol and carrying what one would in a "bad" area in the "good" areas too. (Keep it simple, one thing at a time)
Old May 16, 2020, 01:31 PM   #12
raimius

Personally, I go with the smallest 9mm pistol I can get a full grip on. That works out to the small "compact" or large "subcompact" range. G43x with 15 round mags fits the bill, and with that capacity, it's not much of a tradeoff from much larger pistols.
Old May 18, 2020, 01:09 PM   #13
Onward Allusion

Quote:
But, in this thread the focus is on primary pistol and carrying what one would in a "bad" area in the "good" areas too. (Keep it simple, one thing at a time)

True enough. There have been times where if I knew that I would be going through a bad area, that I have a full size Glock and a few sticks of 33 rounders in a sling pack.
Old May 18, 2020, 01:45 PM   #14
Brit

A "Bad area" is an area were a bad guy is? All he needs is a vehicle, yes?
Old May 19, 2020, 12:49 PM   #15
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
A "Bad area" is an area were a bad guy is? All he needs is a vehicle, yes?
Yes! Definitely yes.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:00 PM   #16
Bill DeShivs

I don't carry less, but if I'm going into a known bad area, I'll carry more.
Old May 29, 2020, 06:12 AM   #17
peacefulgary

Small .380 autos, and small .38 Special revolvers, and small 9mm handguns, and small .32 handguns are popular for a very good reason:
They are usually effective for self defense, and they are easy to carry as well.

Why stop at a Glock 19?
Why not a Glock 17?
You get increased mag capacity for a modestly larger pistol.

Quote:
True enough. There have been times where if I knew that I would be going through a bad area, that I have a full size Glock and a few sticks of 33 rounders in a sling pack.
This is the very definition of bad tactics.

If you simply MUST travel through such a dangerous area, you don't carry extra ammo...
You bring extra friends!

If I felt that I NEEDED an extra few 33 round mags, instead I would bring eight or ten armed veteran brothers with me.
Old May 29, 2020, 09:51 AM   #18
Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by raimius View Post
Personally, I go with the smallest 9mm pistol I can get a full grip on. That works out to the small "compact" or large "subcompact" range. G43x with 15 round mags fits the bill, and with that capacity, it's not much of a tradeoff from much larger pistols.
I ordered my 43X with Ameriglo night sights, from the factory. As a G licensed Security Officer, I get LEO prices. I noticed the rear sight was exactly in the centre of the slide!
All precious aftermarket night sights I had installed, had to be a touch to the right?
Ameriglo makes these sights expressly for Glock. This combo shot right at the point of aim.
Old May 29, 2020, 01:39 PM   #19
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulgary View Post
Small .380 autos, and small .38 Special revolvers, and small 9mm handguns, and small .32 handguns are popular for a very good reason:
They are usually effective for self defense, and they are easy to carry as well.

Why stop at a Glock 19?
Why not a Glock 17?
You get increased mag capacity for a modestly larger pistol.
When I was limited by work attire a pocket 380 was sometimes the "best I could do" - thankfully work attire is no longer a factor.

Glock 23 is my minimum, is concealed either strong side IWB or AIWB.
Pictured is Glock 23 wearing "summer attire" and it doesn't print even if I'm seated.
A shirt with stripe, or pattern helps break a slight bulge compared versus a solid color.

Glock 22 and 35 have the same grip length, pictured is the 35.
Forward cant helps keep grip from printing when seated, as seen with Glock 23 in 1st pic.
In summer I wear a a-frame / tank underneith rather than a t-shirt (mercifully pictured) add cover shirt and the "big" Glock disappears.
Old May 30, 2020, 10:40 PM   #20
Dufus

I don't understand what the difference is, good & bad. If you gotta defend yourself, it is a bad area, no matter who might say "good".
Old June 1, 2020, 07:42 AM   #21
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus View Post
I don't understand what the difference is, good & bad. If you gotta defend yourself, it is a bad area, no matter who might say "good".
Some areas are inherently more dangerous than others, but people are mobile.

You know those that slip a LCP into pocket for a trip to store in "good" area but would carry a Glock 19 + spare mag into an area perceived as "bad".? - No thanks.

This thread is encouraging carrying the Glock 19 + spare mag everywhere, regardless of perceived risk.
Old June 1, 2020, 07:54 AM   #22
pete2

No way I'm gonna be caught without my G19 and my 7 30 round magazines!
Old June 1, 2020, 02:00 PM   #23
Dufus

Quote:
This thread is encouraging carrying the Glock 19 + spare mag everywhere, regardless of perceived risk
Well, I have never owned a Glock and probably never will.

BUT, everywhere I go, good or bad (if there is such a thing) I carry 16 rounds in the gun plus an extra 16 in the spare mag. Without fail.

After thought: If someone expects an area to be good, then their guard is down, at least the way I am thinking, and when disaster springs its ugly face, it makes ugly headlines. I don't believe that there is a difference between the good & bad. Bad is everywhere, even in church where God's reverence is supposed to prevail.
Old June 2, 2020, 04:40 AM   #24
Don P

Today's riots make this a no brainer.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 2, 2020, 10:27 AM   #25
Don Fischer

I pretty much avoid the bad area's. Usually big cities and I haven't lost anything in them. I carry a S&W Shield c9 pretty much everywhere. If I went to a city I'd carry my Ruger P89. Go from 8 rds to 16 rds. Prefer carrying the S&W because it's lighter, smaller and easier to hide.