The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 6, 2015, 11:30 PM   #26
jimbob86

My Statement:

Quote:
For deer guns that won't be used beyond 300 yards, there's no need for anything more than 4X- if you can't see and find a point of aim on a target the size of a deer at under 300 yards with 4X magnification, then the problem is not with the scope!
Was mostly directed to the folks advocating a fixed 6x.... I had such a thing once, and missed deer because of it.

My personal rifle (also a 270WIN!) does sport a variable- past 300, it's nice to dial up to see the target better..... and the .270WIN, with efficient bullets, is of more than a little utility past 300 yards.....

The fixed power scopes are both forward mounted "scout scopes" .... one on a 30/30, and one on a 7-08 carbine (downloaded for little kids to use) ..... neither has a flat enough trajectory, nor enough energy to be used where more than 2.5x would be of use in a typical hunting situation. YMMV.
Old October 8, 2015, 03:14 PM   #27
Unlicensed Dremel

First and foremost, the KISS principle - get used to it; practice making hits at all ranges, with the exact same "look" and boom, you're a proficient marksman ready for snap shots if necessary, without messing with anything.

Close second, clarity / low light performance - fewer lenses means more light transmission.

The rest, roughly in order:
--Typically has longer eye relief (but not always); this may or may not be "better" just depending on what type of gun, chambering, and your shouldering style / preference.
--More durable - much harder to break than a variable - typically bomb proof.
--Lighter - fewer lenses also means lighter, although there are some really light nice variables like the Leupold ultra light series (both fixed and variable), Trijicon Accupoint, etc.
--Lower cost

They are good stuff, Maynard, on any kind of short-range weapon - CQB rifles, large game big-bores, turkey shotguns, defense shotguns, handguns, etc.

I really wish there were some longgun offerings in super-long-eye-relief (like 8-10"+), high-quality, fixed 1.5 or 1.75x, under $300 - that would be awesome for shotguns, scout rifles (including things like Marlin 1895 SBL), etc.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; October 8, 2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old October 9, 2015, 04:59 PM   #28
lefteye

UD - Is it your opinion that fixed power scopes are superior to variable scopes for big game hunting?
Old October 9, 2015, 05:16 PM   #29
Unlicensed Dremel

No, I wouldn't say superior, necessarily. Because variable scopes offer flexibility. I'm not really a big expert anyway, so take with grain of salt. And it depends on how many rifles you have an do you have one *dedicated* to the woods, where long shots just won't happen, or not?

I personally like versatility, even though I have "several" hunting rifles, and I like higher magnification for any shot over 50 yards. Variables are quite good, and you can still utilize the KISS principle if you set them on one setting and forget it. But you are losing out a bit on the light transmission issue with a variable.

I suppose you could say that *IF* you can only afford low-end scopes, like Barska, Simmons, NC Star, etc. and the like, then I'd definitely say in that case, fixed are preferred. More durable and better light transmission. But with more price comes better glass quality, so if the lens themselves give a lot of light transmission, it's less important for there to be *fewer* number of glass lenses in the optic. So the higher you go on the scale, quality-wise, the less important it is.
Old October 9, 2015, 06:32 PM   #30
lefteye

Thank you. I certainly don't consider myself to be an expert but I have been shooting and reloading centerfire rifle cartridges for about 60 years, and have hunted "big" game for more than 40 years. IMHO a 50 yard shot in timber requires very little, if any, magnification. It has also been my experience that the quality of optics varies directly with price. Over the years I have gone from Weaver and Bushnell to Leupold and Swarovski. Next up would be Schmidt & Bender if I had the money and enough years to enjoy it.
Old October 10, 2015, 01:32 AM   #31
HiBC

There is really not a lot of point in arguing preferences.Enjoy what you like.
Use what works for you.

Without putting anyone else's scope down,I have learned all I need to learn about "bargain" scopes.

Agreed,optical quality really makes a difference.

Another thing a lot of folks miss ,the whole rifle.scope pkg should fit like a shotgun.Close your eyes,naturally shoulder the rifle.Open your eyes,you should have full field.Thats not always possible with 50 mm objectives requiring taller rings

Its not the right scope for everyone,or all situations,but my 25yr old
6X by 42 mm Leupold gets it done. The 7mm exit pupil is as large as the human eye gets in the dark.Its a great low light scope.I have it in low Weaver rings.My face stays on the stock where it belongs.

The standard duplex is one mil center to tip of a post,or 2 mils post to post.

That gives me range estimation,and the hanging post for a 100 yd hold,center for 300 yd hold,and bottom post for a 425 yd hold.I don't ordinarily use that one.(257 AI,115 gr Nosler BT,I forget whether 3050 or 3150 fps.at 5000 ft)
I have used it in thick woods with no issues.
I have killed a lot of pronghorn with that rifle,and more than a few prairie dogs.

From about the 1950's through the 70's and into the 80's,there was not a more tried and proven typical deer/elk rifle scope than a 4X Weaver...typically on a 30-06 equivalent rifle.

It was a good choice then,and its a good choice now.

Someone mentioned watching the flies on the animal in the scope.Thats great,if that is what you want to do.
For me,walking Colorado mountains or crawling after pronghorn,rugged,light,compact,with pretty good optics is my priority.

If 6X,or 4X,is not enough magnification to place a heart/lung shot..its good to knowI am too darn far away,and I need to get closer.

I want to put a round in the boiler room.I can,and have,done that easily at 300 yds with a 1950 something 2 1/2 X Lyman Alaskan on my 1903A4 replica.

Yes,2 1/2 X was the Army sniper scope of WW2.Somehow it worked then.

What changed?

Unless its got to do with the rifle seldom being carried more than 100 yds from something that has tires.
Old October 10, 2015, 05:26 AM   #32
DAVID NANCARROW

While not true in every single case, a fixed scope of the same price as a variable will have better optical quality, most likely better lens coating. Coating a lens when properly done reduces the light reflection of that lens as compared to an uncoated lens.

The better scopes will have all the lenses coated where as the bargain scopes may only coat the external lenses. While you may not notice the difference in bright sunlight, you certainly will on a cloudy day or near sunrise/sunset.
Old October 10, 2015, 08:47 PM   #33
firewrench044

Before and just after WW2 variable power scopes were very
undependable and they did not work very well
( every time light goes though a piece of glass you loose some
of that light )(variable power scopes have a lot more lenses )
So hunters ( of game and men ) of that time used fixed power scopes
most, found 4 or 6 power was good
If you look through a scope of that time you will see very bold reticles
for use in low light ( with the lose of light through the lenses of that time )

Sense then, we have a lot better lens coatings that do not loose
as much light, and have developed more dependable variable power
scopes

Myself - I hunt at ranges of 100 to 250 yards and a fixed 6 power is all
I need and there is less inside the scope to go wrong, and they are less
expensive
Old October 13, 2015, 04:00 PM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

There is one thing about a fixed power scope, I guarantee you won't find it set on high power when you need it on low in a hurry!