The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 05:14 PM   #76
Pilot

I don't mind the heavier bull barrels, even for carry. I do have a MK II Standard with the pencil barrel and that's a sweet little woods pistol.

Last edited by Pilot; January 19, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:36 PM   #77
weblance

Ive only shot, and owned, the bull barreled Rugers. I have always wanted to shoot the thin barrel just to see how accurate they were. I like the look of the 4" stainless thin barrel, but I think its a distributor only pistol now, so availability might be "iffy". I would have to find a used one. That would be ok. A Mark II because I have lots of magazines for my Mark II and all my Mark IIIs are 22/45s
Old January 19, 2013, 07:25 AM   #78
steveNChunter

Im still planning on looking around locally for a nice used MKII at a deal. But after hearing all the woes of the new MKIIIs on here, I think if I buy new it will be a Beretta Neos Inox thanks to Weblance's thread on one.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:30 AM   #79
Pilot

Quote:
But after hearing all the woes of the new MKIIIs on here
Don't let me or anyone else disuade you from a MKIII. Many (most?) have great success with them out of the box with no mods. Do I prefer the MKII? Yes, but the MKIII is usually just fine, and if not can be easily modifed by removing the LCI and mag disconnect to essentially become a MKII with what many believe is a better magazine release.

The MKIII is nice because while very accurate out of the box it can easily be made more accurate and grow with the shooter with simple installation of a few VQ parts. If you just want a plinker, the NEOS seems fine though.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:22 PM   #80
weblance

I think the 2 pistols are equals, until it comes down to cleaning. The Neos is so easy to breakdown and clean. Being able to easily get to the Breech face is really nice. Digging around inside the chamber with tools, trying to clean the breech on the Ruger just sucks. Ive never had a problem with dis-re-assembly with the Ruger, and thats not what Im talking about. Im talking about actually getting the gunk off of, and out of your pistol. I also like the fact you can barrel swap with the Neos. I like choices, and somedays I might be in target mode(6" with optic) and some days plinker mode(4" open sights)and somedays, squirrel or groundhog hunter(carbine kit). I havent had my Neos very long, but I see myself shooting it more than my Rugers. Each of my Rugers is different, and I have different situations where I would use them, so getting rid of one of them wont happen, but if I was just starting out, and didnt have a .22 pistol, I think I could do anything with my Neos I can do with one of the Rugers, and not be hindered in any way. There needs to be a threaded barrel available for the Neos, and then they would have all the bases covered.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:27 PM   #81
Florida Guy

This is my first (and only) Ruger MKII.
I am very happy with it.

Old January 20, 2013, 02:17 AM   #82
davidsoc

How is the LCI even a problem for some people? I cant recall ever even noticing it when im shooting.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:37 AM   #83
Sevens

Well, if you grew up with Mark II's (and for those who grew up with Mark I's and Standards) then it's hard to not notice a large, oblong hole cut in to the side of what was an outrageously familiar image, especially when you consider that it looked pretty nearly EXACTLY the same for fifty-five years before Ruger decided it was time to make a rectangular slot in the port side of it.

So you can "notice it" in that way. And for all the others who have REMOVED it, they probably noticed it when the pistol would fail to feed or eject cleanly, which is even more noticeable for people familiar with the legend of the pistol. Frankly... failing to feed and eject is simply something the Ruger Mark I and Mark II pistols didn't ever do much of...ever. The Mark III does it often enough (YOU decide what that number is) that a 2-minute Google search pulls up a myriad of fixes, suggestions and work-arounds to address these problems and get new owners running better.

This is probably not the best time to mention that a loaded chamber indicator is an idiotic device that promotes lazy and unsafe gun handling right at it's very core. Is a chamber loaded? Of course, because Rule#1 says that it's always loaded and you should treat it as such. If you need for that chamber to be unloaded, you ENSURE that it is, and you don't leave that necessary bit of information to an idiotic, later-added and completely loathed device such as a "loaded chamber indicator." You open the action, you look inside, perhaps you even FEEL inside and in some cases, you insert a flag to REALLY ensure that it's not a loaded chamber.

That's not something to be left to a gizmo. That gizmo is as worthwhile as an on-board or integral lock.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:04 AM   #84
Pilot

Floridaguy,

That is a beautiful slabside. They are one of the best all around target pistols available. Ruger did a nice job with that one and d&t'd it too and I believe included the base and scope rings in the package. I have to pick one up at some point. Considering getting one of my 5.5 bull barrel target models d&t'd for an optic.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:03 AM   #85
AH.74

Quote:
especially when you consider that it looked pretty nearly EXACTLY the same for fifty-five years before Ruger decided it was time to make a rectangular slot in the port side of it.
I don't think Ruger "decided" anything on their own- they had incentive; ie reasons to do this as dictated by certain nanny-states and their requirements for selling in their markets.

I have said before and I'll say again- Ruger dropped the ball in deciding to go with a one-size-fits-all rather than offering models without the lawyer-bits, to those of us in states which don't require them.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:12 AM   #86
Venom1956

Florida if you ever wanna sell that look me up.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 20, 2013, 11:07 AM   #87
Sevens

Quote:
I don't think Ruger "decided" anything on their own- they had incentive; ie reasons to do this as dictated by certain nanny-states and their requirements for selling in their markets.
Uhhh, I said that in post #33...which you quoted in post #34 and agreed with, back on page 1.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:37 PM   #88
Pahoo

Gets in the way !!!

Quote:
How is the LCI even a problem for some people?
Personaly can't say that it's a serious problem but does restrict air flow and catches dirt and powder residue. The more you shoot, the more it will become apparent. On the Pre-MK-III's, you will not see this taking place and allows for easier access on cleaning !! ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 20, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:46 PM   #89
DocHopper

i would love to have a ruger 22 one day.
Old January 20, 2013, 06:21 PM   #90
AH.74

Quote:
Uhhh, I said that in post #33...which you quoted in post #34 and agreed with, back on page 1.
Whatever. You keep saying the same negative things over and over and I seem to have lost track.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:36 PM   #91
Ruark

Man, those Ruger Marks can be a ball of fun. Pick up a 500-round box of .22 ammo, a handful of clips and spend an afternoon going pop-pop-pop-pop at cans and what have you. Best, most fun little gun in the world. I had one ages ago, and I've kicked myself a thousand times for selling it.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:46 PM   #92
steveNChunter

Good luck simply "picking up" a 500-round box of .22 ammo right now unless you already own it.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:01 PM   #93
damienph

Ruger Mark .22s

All of the Ruger Mark series are good. I have an older Standard and a Mark II Target (bull). My son has a Mark III Target, also in a bull barrel, very accurate and has had no reliability issues what so ever. He has a Sig Mosquito, a Walther P22 and an older Colt Challenger. The Sig and the Walther are decent shooters but both are finicky with ammo. The Colt is good looking and will shoot any brand of ammo but is not the shooter that any of the three Rugers we have are.

Standard

Mark II

Sorry, no pics of my son's, he currently lives about 1500 miles away.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:29 PM   #94
Stevie-Ray

My first handgun was a Ruger RST-6, pictured first below. It is generically called a Mark I, but Mark Is were the adjustable sight models. I liked it so much that about 10 years later I bought the KMK-512 version of the Mark II. Difference in price was astounding, $92 for the RST in 1979, $259 for the Mark II in 1989. But I wouldn't give up either.

Old January 19, 2015, 12:34 AM   #95
brotherzoo

I own Mark I, II, and III Rugers, and I can't say enough good about them.
I am not a fan of the 22/45 personally, but my brother has one, and it runs just as well as my all steel versions, of which I have pasted a few pictures below.
The two on the bottom are both unfired (yet...?) safe queens, with the hard chrome model being # 102 out of 150 Mark I Magnaport limited edition, and the blued pistol being a Lipseys Mark III limited edition.
The two on top are my general walkabout shooter and my goto small game hunter.
IMHO,if you want a great all purpose shooter, get the Mark III Hunter.
I'm still trying to buy mine back from a buddy.

Last edited by brotherzoo; January 19, 2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old January 19, 2015, 03:18 AM   #96
Brotherbadger

Let me start by saying the Mark iii is an awesome gun. If you buy one, you won't regret it. They are super accurate out of the box.

That being said, I prefer the Mark ii. It's not because it's more accurate(it's not. They are both very accurate IMO) or cheaper. It's merely because of the familiarity with it and the emotional connection. The Mark ii was the first .22 handgun I shot, and I just love it. I like the feel, the weight, etc.

In the end, both are great guns. If you get a chance, shoot both models and see which you prefer.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "

Tags
.22 , 22/45 , mark ii , mark iii , ruger