The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 19, 2012, 08:53 PM   #26
Nickel Plated

Mossberg 500/590 (skip the A1 if you want value. Paying extra money for more weight). And Remington 870s have been mentioned and those are the most popular choices with an aftermarket to match.

However there are many other great choices if you want to go a bit off the beaten path. The Winchester 1300 (would have to be used though, since they're out of production). Also the Winchester SXP is supposed to be like a modernization of the 1300 though IDK much about them and their quality.

My choice would be an Ithaca 37 though. Remington and Mossbergs are for noobs they do cost a couple hundred more then your typical Remberg but are awesome guns. Though used ones can be had pretty cheap.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:44 PM   #27
WV_gunner

Mossbergs and Remingtons for noobs? That's a statement someone says that is a noob theirself I think. I own 7 shotguns, the last I picked up was my first mossberg. So if they are for noobs, guess I'm doing it backwards. I still consider myself a bit new to the game, but no gun is a noob gun. Someones first gun can be anything, cheap or expensive.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:47 PM   #28
Pistolgripshotty

Go with a mossberg or remington...stay away from the H&R, its not tactical!
Old September 21, 2012, 01:36 PM   #29
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guess I'm a Noob then...

Althought I prefer the term, "Journeyman"...

500s and 870s are Forever Guns, incapable of being worn out in just one lifetime except by the most dedicated shotgunners.

Specialized shotguns may do one thing better than either of the above, but either shotgun covers lots of bases well, in trained hands.

Every shotgunner should have an 870 or 500.

Or more....