The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 5, 1999, 10:30 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

I was offered the opportunity to fire this montrosity and foolishly agreed. Not being totally foolhardy, I loaded the first three cylinders with .454 Casull and the last three with .45 Long Colt. Six rounds were then fired in the DA mode.

At a distance of about 25 yards, I kept the three .454 in a 8" group. The blast was terrific and the recoil sharp. I then fired the three .45 Long Colt as a comparison. While the group did shrink considerably and by comparison it was very pleasant, I would hazard to say that it is very unlikely that I would own such a gun.

It does make for a strong argument in favor of magnaporting (reduced felt recoil) and a red dot sight (more mass for less recoil).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old November 6, 1999, 12:00 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The only Casull I've shot was the Taurus Raging Bull, with full-house 260-grain.

The shape and the soft material of the grip, and the porting, make it about the same as my Redhawk in .44 Mag.

HOWEVER, I recommend ear plugs AND hear guards!

Fun, though!

Art

Old November 7, 1999, 07:50 PM   #3
HankL

And I thought you guys were real guys!
Mine is a Freedom Arms No Shi# gun with iron sights and 4 1/2 bbl.
Load her up, take a good hold and picture and touch her off! Everything will be fine.
It will not hurt but the aforementioned hearing protection is well advised!
Hank
Old November 7, 1999, 11:40 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

What impressed me about Senor R. Toro was the controlability for followup shots. Recoil is mostly psychological, anyway, until you get to the REALLY big stuff...

The owner demonstrated double-taps at 10 to 15 yards, with very close pairs. But for the noise, it was comparable to typical semi-auto shooting. This was with the 260-gr; he said he couldn't do as well with the 300-gr.
Old November 10, 1999, 01:36 AM   #5
Long Path

My one encounter with .454 was with a Freedom Arms no-frills version, and with 260g bullets, it impressed me by allowing me to tag the 8" 100yard gong 3 out of 3 tries. I was especially impressed because I had held dead-on. I then shot some silohuetes at 200. This is one hot cartridge, and I mean from the standpoint of down-range ballistics. Surprisingly flat-shooting, and that heavy gong really swung after a hard jump!

Pretty fair amount of muzzle flip, but then I expected that. From my point of view, one of the neatest, no-nonsense hunting rigs ever. HankL has the [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], if his is anything like the one I shot.
Old November 10, 1999, 04:39 PM   #6
BigG

Dats sum handgun!

I shot the Freedom Arms Raging Testosterone Tester, it kicked like a bull!

I know the single action has less apparent recoil than the saw-handled DAs based on the S&W design. The SAs roll back in your hand while the S&W type kick straight back into the web of your hand and then lurch up. At least that's how it works in the 44 Mag flavor. Haven't shot the Casull in a DA, yet...

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

Old November 14, 1999, 10:10 AM   #7
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Y'all stop. I've got more guns now than I can keep decently fed. I can see me now standing on a corner-emaciated- holding a sign that reads,"will work for ammunition."

So many fine firearms, such a short lifespan.

------------------
Byron Quick