The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2010, 10:50 AM   #26
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The Pardner is the better made gun---the made in China stamp is what bugs me---I try to avoid Chinese goods like the plague even though its near impossible sometimes.
-------Metallica
Old April 9, 2010, 02:41 PM   #27
jlv08

With all due respect...

I have experience with three of the Norinco manufactured variants.

Two in the form of the NEF Pardner Pump and one in the form of a 982 "tactical " style shotguns.

The Mavericka are nice for a pricepoint gun that was made to be affordable for those folks that don't or can't spend the money for a 500a Mossberg or Remington Express.

I would, as I said in my earlier posts, buy the NEF Pardner over the Maverick.

First reason being the constuction and finish of the gun and secondly, the quality of construction of the gun.

All of my opinions are based on facts and objective experience and my remarks were made to enlighten the OP as to the qualities of the gun, being the NEF over the Maverick.

There are antaganists on this forum who feel that they have to hijack threads when these guns are brought up and get into heated debates about what they think is wrong with these gun without any objective experience.

There is no good coming from these kinds of attacks and they serve no purpose other than bringing out the worst in those who debase people for their individual choice of gun.

I will stand by my objective experience regarding ANY firearm and leave my emotions in check as ,as I do have my feelings and concerns about issues, I don't feel that there is any good getting off track and start a high pressure yellow steamed, wee,wee contest to prove a point and belittle others.
Old April 28, 2010, 02:45 PM   #28
nefprotector

Update on my NEF pumpaction.

I recently posted a problem with my NEF Protector 12 ga Pump action shotgun. The problem was it started Jamming after I cleaned the darn thing. Well I figured out what caused the problem. I cleaned my NEF with Breakfree gun cleaner Powder remover, etc. Well the solvent MELTED the magazine follower. I disassembled the shotgun and What a mess I had on my hands. I just order a new 870 follower and Wolff replacement springs. I will update as soon as I recieve my new parts.
Old April 29, 2010, 09:33 AM   #29
27Veer

I chose the Maverick and took it AZ with me when I attended a handgun course. The instructor spent an hour with me on it and we fired 20 rounds of slugs with no problem at all.
Old April 29, 2010, 11:19 AM   #30
nefprotector

an hr and only 20 rounds?
Old April 29, 2010, 01:06 PM   #31
Lee Lapin

Given the choices you list, I'd rather have the Pardner. The Maverick is all right, don't misunderstand me, but I don't like the idea of having to unscrew the magazine from the receiver to get access to the inside of the mag tube. I have the same problem with the Mossberg 500 (and I own several of them)- were I to carry/use a Mossberg, I'd prefer a 590 by far. In fact the last Mossberg I bought was a 590.

I have examples of the Pardner Protector, the Hawk 981 and the Hawk 982 (very similar shotguns), and all three of the have been solid performers so far.

You won't really go wrong no matter which you choose...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old May 1, 2010, 07:09 PM   #32
nefprotector

Update, Update!

Well, I recieved my Remington 870 follower & Wolff Heavy spring today. I still have the same problem with my shotgun jamming on the last round. (5th round). Any ideas what to do next? The last round jams as it exits the magazine tube; about halfway out the tube. I can bang the side of the shotgun with my palm and it will knock it loose and I can cycle it that way. But other than the 5th round jamming it shoots darn good with 4 rounds now.
Old May 1, 2010, 11:45 PM   #33
MAX100

Quote:
Well, I recieved my Remington 870 follower & Wolff Heavy spring today. I still have the same problem with my shotgun jamming on the last round. (5th round). Any ideas what to do next? The last round jams as it exits the magazine tube; about halfway out the tube. I can bang the side of the shotgun with my palm and it will knock it loose and I can cycle it that way. But other than the 5th round jamming it shoots darn good with 4 rounds now.
How long is the Wolff spring after you cut it?

GC
Old May 2, 2010, 03:12 AM   #34
nefprotector

Actually there was no need to cut anything. The Wolff spring was about an inch shorter than the factory spring. But it works fine, other than the last round. Maybe Ill just load it up with 4 rounds for now on. Thanks.
Old May 2, 2010, 09:54 AM   #35
Cornhusker77

I can recommend the Pardner Protector Pump.
Mine is 100% dependable, easy to maintain, all 870 accessories will fit and it's built like a tank.
If you run out of ammo you can use it for a club. (If you are man enough to swing it)
The one and only thing one could say against it is that it's heavy.
Old May 2, 2010, 10:44 AM   #36
MAX100

Quote:
Actually there was no need to cut anything. The Wolff spring was about an inch shorter than the factory spring. But it works fine, other than the last round. Maybe Ill just load it up with 4 rounds for now on. Thanks.

That's your problem. The Wolff spring should be about 8" longer than the end of the mag tube for it to be extra power. Wolff universal springs come 40" long and cut it to size.

GC
Old May 2, 2010, 11:12 AM   #37
treefarmernc

I cannot speak of the Pardner Protector but I have hade an 88 for a little over 17 years and would rate it as fair to good. I used mine most during the first 3-4 years for hunting as it was given to me as my step up from my 16 ga single shot. During that time I did have a firing pin break. When I picked it up from the gun smith I was instructed to sell it first chance I got but I held on to it for sentimental reasons. I believe it is worth what it cost and will probably serve an occasional shooter well. For the serous abuser I would suggest something better. My favorite now that replaced the 88 is a Remington Wingmaster that I bought back in the late nineties and have put a few thousand rounds thru it without the first problem.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:10 PM   #38
nefprotector

"That's your problem. The Wolff spring should be about 8" longer than the end of the mag tube for it to be extra power. Wolff universal springs come 40" long and cut it to size."

Max Thanks for the info, Maybe I should send the 870 heavy spring back and get the universal.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:32 AM   #39
WVfishguy

My little Pardner Pump 12 gauge works fine, thank you very much. Paid about $160 for it at Dick's.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:46 AM   #40
nefprotector

Lesson learn! Buy an extra Universal spring and follower for it. Other than that the shotty functions fine now.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:14 PM   #41
loverme85

I'm wondering why you want more than one HD shotgun, unless you have several people in your home that your trying to arm in a break in situation. If that's the case then that's fine. If not then I don't see the need to have more than one.
Old June 2, 2010, 10:22 AM   #42
Kmar40

The NEF is the Hipoint of the shotgun world.

I don't know why anyone would want to buy this chinese potmetal junk when a real shotgun is less than $50 more.
Old June 2, 2010, 10:53 AM   #43
knight0334

Quote:
The NEF is the Hipoint of the shotgun world.

I don't know why anyone would want to buy this chinese potmetal junk when a real shotgun is less than $50 more.
Pot metal?

The NEF is made of steel, and if its made by Norinco its likely to be 5100 series steel which is stronger than nearly all metals used by US manufacturers.. Where as the Mossy 500 is made of aluminum which is considered a "pot metal".
Old June 2, 2010, 04:35 PM   #44
MAX100

Quote:
We would never have to worry about winning in a war with China because all of their pot metal weapons would fall apart. Lol

The Protector has the heaviest & thickest steel receiver of any shotgun being built today. It's built like a tank.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; June 2, 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old June 2, 2010, 05:03 PM   #45
nefprotector

I will agree. These things are built like a TANK.
Old June 2, 2010, 05:23 PM   #46
Glock_19

I'd save up a little more cash an opt for a Benelli Supernova Tactical.

Old June 2, 2010, 06:30 PM   #47
jmortimer

Kmar40 - I respect the "buy American" point of view but not an ignorant one. The Remington/Marlin/H&R Pardner Protector is as good a HD pump shotgun as there is out there in current production - The heavy duty Dodge Trucks are "Made in Mexico" but no one is crying about that fact. Why can't the cry babies making stupid and ignortant statements about the Pardner shotguns just go away.
Old June 2, 2010, 09:08 PM   #48
Kmar40

You nineteen year olds obviously have never seen a real tool made of real metal. EVery piece of crap from China is the same. Throw away junk. Gun, saw, hammer, nails. It doesn't matter. It's all steaming mounds of crap designed to be sold to ignorant people who don't know any better.

Bolt your heat shields, your breaching muzzle device, and a $20 Chinese red dot sights (that go on the blitz the second time you fire it). You're ready for striking a pose and posting the picture on the net.

I didn't say crap about buy American. Show me where I did. Hipoint is American an it's junk too. Don't buy junk.

Last edited by Kmar40; June 2, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old June 2, 2010, 10:58 PM   #49
jmortimer

So then why don't you like the Pardner Protector? By every objective measure the Pardner is a fine gun - as good as any pump action - so we have only two choices for you - stupid or ignorant - I will believe the best and assume that you are merely ignorant as to the Pardner Protector. You offer no facts - only ignorance. Rather than make nonsense comments why not stay out of a topic where you know nothing and merely post some inane blather or spend $200.00 and find out how wrong you are. That is called reality.
Old June 2, 2010, 11:05 PM   #50
MAX100

Quote:
You nineteen year olds obviously have never seen a real tool made of real metal. EVery piece of crap from China is the same. Throw away junk. Gun, saw, hammer, nails. It doesn't matter. It's all steaming mounds of crap designed to be sold to ignorant people who don't know any better.

Bolt your heat shields, your breaching muzzle device, and a $20 Chinese red dot sights (that go on the blitz the second time you fire it). You're ready for striking a pose and posting the picture on the net.

I didn't say crap about buy American. Show me where I did. Hipoint is American an it's junk too. Don't buy junk.
The manufactures and importers in the US contract China manufactures to make products at certain price point. They are looking to turn a big profit and as a result they pay China to make crap. Pay them to make quality and they can make quality.

China isn't going to make a high quality red sight for the few bucks per unit the US importers are paying them.

China knows how make quality weapons.

GC