The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 18, 2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Redneck1616

Which Mosin

I have been looking at two different Russian Mosin Nagants and cant decide which one to get. The only difference is one has the hex reciever and the other doesnt. Which one would you purchase and why. They are both in about the same shape.
Old February 18, 2009, 11:35 PM   #2
the rifleer

if the bores are in the same shape i would take the hex receiver. i dont have one, but i have heard that they are made with a little more care. i dont think there is really and advantage.

i would check for matching numbers. if one matches and the other doesn't, then i would take the matching one.
Old February 19, 2009, 12:46 AM   #3
CGSteve8718

Mechanically, there is no discernible difference. The hex receivers were made obsolete in favor of standard "round" receivers so it's just that hex receivers are older and are more valuable from a collector's standpoint.
Old February 19, 2009, 03:55 AM   #4
Todd1700

As said before the hex reciever is a little bit more desirable to a collector but we are not talking about a wide margin there. There are hundreds of other things that matter way more to serious collectors than this. Different markings, older ex-dragoon models, rare dates on certain type Mosins from certain factories. etc, etc. If I wanted this gun as a shooter then the condition of the riflings in the barrel and whether or not it had been counterbored would be waaay more important to me than hex vs round reciever. In fact the general outer appearance of the gun would carry more weight with me than what type reciever it had. But if all other factors are perfectly equal then sure, get the hex reciever.
Old February 19, 2009, 09:28 AM   #5
carguychris

The OP never said which version of the Mosin-Nagant these rifles are.

If it's a garden-variety M91/30 with a hardwood stock, there's really no difference in functionality; the hex receivers are a bit more collectible, but they're pretty abundant on the milsurp market right now, so the difference isn't drastic.

However, certain hex receiver variations are more collectible and should be snapped up with great haste:
  • Any M38, M44, or M91/59 carbine built with a hex receiver
  • A hex-receiver M91/30 with the symbol "Ka3" stamped on the chamber, identifying it as a former M91 Cossack rifle
  • A hex receiver rifle with a laminated stock
Old February 19, 2009, 09:48 AM   #6
RamSlammer

If condition is equivalent, I would get the hex. They are older (pre WW2) era guns made a bit better in the opinion of most than those made during the war when simply making them fast was the goal.
Old February 19, 2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Cosmoline

If it's a Tikka 91/30, then the round is more valuable than the hex.
Old February 19, 2009, 02:53 PM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
They are older (pre WW2) era guns made a bit better in the opinion of most than those made during the war when simply making them fast was the goal.
True, but round-receiver M91/30s were also made in the prewar period between 1936 and June 21, 1941. These guns- and a few of the WWII guns, for that matter- can have a more or less equal level of workmanship to a hex-receiver M-N.

It all depends on the individual gun.
Old February 19, 2009, 03:32 PM   #9
joyrock

I say get the Hex, you will se less of them, than the round tops. I have three Mosin's, a 1944 M44, a 1939 M91/30 and my joy a 1906 Hex M91, all shoot really well.
Old February 22, 2009, 11:53 AM   #10
K20350

I love my M44 and the 3 foot fireball that comes out the barrel when shot at dusk LOL.
Old February 22, 2009, 10:26 PM   #11
CARGUY2244

WARNING! mosin

BEWARE!
took 2 mosins to range today.
round exploded while bolt was being closed.
ambulance took us to er.
injuries severe but will recover.
no way to tell with old rifle/surplus ammo combo.
BEWARE!
Old February 23, 2009, 09:15 AM   #12
jsmaye

Quote:
...no way to tell with old rifle/surplus ammo combo.
Actually there is - Generally speaking you or a qualified gunsmith can inspect the firearm. Specifically speaking, it sounds like the firing pin was not installed correctly, which is easy to check and correct.

The ammo is probably off the hook for this mishap.

Hope everybody is ok, though.
Old February 23, 2009, 11:11 AM   #13
carguychris

Quote:
Specifically speaking, it sounds like the firing pin was not installed correctly, which is easy to check and correct.
Other possibilities:
  • Damaged cocking piece
  • Damaged sear
  • Loose sear retaining screw
  • Sear and/or cocking piece incorrectly modified in an attempt to reduce trigger pull
IMHO it's a good idea to use Loctite on the sear retaining screw.
Old February 23, 2009, 12:11 PM   #14
jsmaye

Quote:
Sear and/or cocking piece incorrectly modified in an attempt to reduce trigger pull
Right on - few things are scarier than an amateur 'gunsmith' with a flat file and some ambition.
Old March 8, 2009, 10:48 PM   #15
Joe Botz

Get a Finish M-39! The best of the breed!
Old March 9, 2009, 07:40 AM   #16
jsmaye

Quote:
Get a Finish M-39! The best of the breed!
Not one of the choices.
Old March 9, 2009, 07:58 PM   #17
trippingpara

With a choice of a hex and a round, I would go with the hex unless the round is considerably in better condition. Several former Soviet countries have recently released their old stockpiles of old nagants making the hex receiver plentiful at the moment. That won't last for very long. Grab the hex while you can.