The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Would or Do you Open Carry in Public?
Yes 174 41.93%
No 114 27.47%
It depends 127 30.60%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 25, 2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

Would YOU Open Carry???

This is a question that my wife asked me this morning, apparently there are movements all over the country to bring OC back in states where it is not already legal. It is a pretty hot topic in Texas among grabbers, enthusiasts and mall ninjas.

So my question is easy, it's in the title of the post. Would you open carry instead of conceal carry in public (not while hunting or in your home)? Yes, No, or It Depends.

If the answer is "It Depends" please expand on the answer. Would it depend on the weather, where you were going, or what you had on that day?

Sorry if this has been done before, I don't recall seeing any polls about this, search results didn't turn up what I was looking for.
Old June 25, 2008, 01:37 PM   #2
MSgt G

Here you obtain a Georgia Firearms License and you can legally carry either way. Normally I carry concealed, but on occasion I do carry open. Sunday, for example, we went out to eat after church. Since you can't legally carry at church in Georgia, I slipped on my OWB holster afterwards and carried that way. It was too hot to wear my suit coat in the restaurant. No one even gave me a second glance.
Old June 25, 2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Sigma 40 Blaster

My answer was no. Around the house, even outside doing yard work sure, I have pretty much total control of what goes on around me and who gets close to me.

I'm not saying I think OC is bad as a concept but the practical application of it in public is not something I'd do.

My wife said "Well then just anybody can carry a gun, if it's stolen or not, in public and do whatever they want". I asked her what the difference was between OC and CCW in that regard and she said "Nothing I guess" after a short pause.

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.
Old June 25, 2008, 01:43 PM   #4
duucfho

I think that if Florida allowed open carry, I would likely do so.

I can't see that having an openly visible gun would invite more trouble than if it were concealed, all else being equal.

If someone were to harass/attack me while the gun were concealed, then they might reconsider if they saw the gun first.

But if someone weren't planning to harass/attack me, then I don't see the gun being a catalyst for them to suddenly want to attack me.
Old June 25, 2008, 01:48 PM   #5
hoytinak

No I wouldn't personally, I'll stick to staying concealed but I think everyone should have the right to carry open if they want to.
Old June 25, 2008, 01:52 PM   #6
ZeSpectre

My preference is to "play my cards close to the vest". If (God forbid) I should ever have to deal with a badguy I want them to have an abrupt and nasty and above all COMPLETE surprise!

Having said that I did try an open carry experiment a little while back...with no disruption at all.
Old June 25, 2008, 01:54 PM   #7
FrontSight

I'd rather carry concealed, but with the RIGHT to switch to open carry at any time I feel like it, and not be charged with brandishing. That would make the most sense of all for me.

Oh, and I can't imagine this working on the NYC subway...it's so crowded that at time you can't even hold a magazine up to read it...would be WAY too scary to think of how many thugs would be trying to snatch guns from open carry holsters in that scenario.
Old June 25, 2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Scorch

When I lived in NV they allowed OC except for in banks, POs, courthouses, or liquor-serving establishments. It was uncommon to see anyone carrying openly, though, because folks were aware of others and if in a public place carried concealed if at all. Lots of pocket guns, though. But every now and again you would see the rancher come in from the range with a wheelgun on (hardly ever a western holster, typically either a OWB or a crossdraw, but some shoulder rigs), or someone carrying a semi in a OWB holster. I think folks are aware of the effect a visible gun has on others, and the inability to control the situation in a crowd. Also, there is the factor of certain types of people not knowing who has the gun that makes them mind their manners.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:12 PM   #9
scoutleader

I OC from time to time, TN CCP is for hand gun carry permit. They tell you to conceal carry to keep from being bothered by cops and freaking people out. If I am running to the gun range or hardware store ( mom and pop type store) then I wont bother with CC just OP carry. If I am going out to a shopping center or around a lot of people then I CC. I walk the dog every night in our area and OC every night.
Danny
Old June 25, 2008, 02:13 PM   #10
vanguard_anon

They allow open carry in NC but I wouldn't do it. It catches attention that I don't want. I do see it from time to time though. One guy was about 50 years old and gave off this vibe of, "I really don't have time to care what you think", which was perfect for open carry.

He seemed as casual about his gun as I would be about a knife in my pocket. I looked at it then made an effort to stop staring. It wasn't that big of a deal.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Delaware_Dan

If I had a job that required me to wear a suit I would open carry and not wear the jacket.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:32 PM   #12
putteral

I voted yes. I just wish I had the option to open carry if I wanted to but am not allowed here in Florida.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:33 PM   #13
45_Shooter

I don't like to make myself a target, so I normally don't. However, during hunting season I carry open in the woods, and I normally don't take my sidearm off (usually an N-frame S&W for deer) until I go to bed. I'll go into gas stations and restaurants with it OC'd, simply because it's a pain to swap holsters, and/or pistols just to get lunch or gas. I think thats more accepted though.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:34 PM   #14
David Armstrong

"It depends" on whether or not concealed carry is a better option. For most situations around the general public I think concealed carry offers the greatest advantage.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:38 PM   #15
Dusty Rivers

Yes but don't flaunt it

Yes but as inconspicuously as possible.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Wildalaska

It depends.

If its a sunny warm day and I'm going to the range and shooting a big gun, I just strap it on, and have no compunction about stopping at the Mini mart with it for a coat. I've even picked SWMBO up in downtown Anch open carrying...on the other hand, I'll take it off if I go into Nordstroms.

I see no tactical advantage in open carry and significant political/social disadvantages

WildymmvAlaska ™
Old June 25, 2008, 02:41 PM   #17
Magnum Wheel Man

if I'm working in the woods, on the farm, & have my GP-100 in a field grade holster on the belt, or if hunting... I'll go to town, without even giving it a 2nd thought... though I carry conceiled 99% of the time...

but I'm honestly not worried about being "made" into a victim... in my area
Old June 25, 2008, 02:44 PM   #18
brickeyee

In Virginia you MUST OC if you are in a restaurant that serves alcohol.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:46 PM   #19
Kraziken

One of the aspects of self defense is action beats reaction.

Open Carry you lose the element of surprise. In fact I think it opens you more for possible attack.

I would also worry about being disarmed. I'd rather have a concealed rig with no break or one thumb break than open carry with a level II or III retention holster.
Old June 25, 2008, 02:48 PM   #20
ChicagoTex

I voted no, concealment has a lot of good surprise value I'm unwilling to compromise.

Furthermore, I realize some folks would be upset with me about this, I oppose the open carry initiative in Texas. My primary reason is if open carry was legalized - as has happened in other open carry states - a lot more businesses would post signs making it illegal to carry on their property entirely. You can ramble all you want about how open carry is a "deterrent to crime" (something that I'm still not genuinely convinced of) but the fact of the matter is there is a substantial portion of people in Texas and in the country who are uncomfortable enough with guns that open carry just means responsible armed citizens in fewer places. How's that a deterrent to crime?
Old June 25, 2008, 02:51 PM   #21
davlandrum

I went with "it depends". Some places around here would create a scene with an open carry (downtown), but as soon as you get outside the big city, it would be no big deal.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old June 25, 2008, 03:08 PM   #22
YukonKid

Yes, I used to open carry my vaquero when I would go to my ranch out in the sticks. Everyone out there is a redneck with a pickup and a gun so I fit right in.

Around town definitely not, it could create many issues.

So i voted "It depends"

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old June 25, 2008, 03:12 PM   #23
P99AS9

Here in NH, you only need a license to concealed carry. Anyone can open carry all they want. I voted no because many people are afraid of guns and will call the cops if they see someone with a gun. I've seen it happen.
Old June 25, 2008, 03:12 PM   #24
Scattergun Bob

Open Carry is an option

The issue is where are we and why are we carrying openly. We had this discussion not long ago and most did not agree with my thoughts.
1. There must be a overwhelming reason to carry in the open, as this carry method denies the great advantage of surprise. I would not wish to casually throw away such an advantage. Changing public option by open carry is not a good enough reason to loose the advantage of surprise.

2. There is chance that open carry in populated areas will be misinterped by the general public and LE will be called. Most of the time this will be a negative interaction with street level officers, I can not see this as productive.

3. There is a time and place for open carry, and I do so on my long walks in my favorite forest. My expiation is that most will not missinterpret my motives in that environment.

In a nut shell, I concealed carry for my own safety, it is not a public statement, nor am I interested in intervening. I use the element of suprise in my defensive plans. On the street in a urban setting a individual carrying openly would become a focus point for me, I would move away from the individual toward safety, he best not make any mistakes or approach me uninvited.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Old June 25, 2008, 03:38 PM   #25
Van55

Quote:
In Virginia you MUST OC if you are in a restaurant that serves alcohol.
That's only true if you want to carry in the restaurant or bar at all. You have the option of disarming.

I am a Virginian and can carry openly, but I don't. I don't need to be hassled by the anti-gun public or targeted by a criminal who would like to "borrow" my gun.
Closed Thread