The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 26, 2002, 11:04 PM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Range Report: Beretta 92FS and MD SMLE

Fellow from Logan rolled into town for some help with a graphics card. Well, at my little shop I had just what he needed of course so that left a lot of extra time.

Turns out, as luck would have it, that he brought down a couple of guns. So we went shooting.

He had a very nice SIG P220 and I had my Beretta 92FS.
He had a Savage .223 rifle and I had a SMLE rifle.

I pumped about 40 rounds through the SMLE and it ran beautifully. One observation about the short barreled .303 British is that it belches out a good long tongue of flame with each shot. Not only is there flame, but there is a great loud boom to go with it. Quite thunderous. The .223 Savage was almost quite by comparison.

Before we hit the range we stopped at Wally World. (It was right there by the freeway on-ramp) They had Winchester whitebox 9mm in a 100 round bulk pack for only 10 bucks.

The Beretta ran through all 100 rounds without a hint of problems. The interesting think I found was the 9MM's range.
There was some nice big fat rocks at about 200 meters that we had been attacking with rifle fire. I decided to see where the 9 would hit. Expecting a nice drop I aimed dead center on one of the higher rocks and squeezed the trigger. I was suprised to see the round nail the rock right where I had aimed.
Huh? A 200 yard point of aim, point of impact? With a pistol?
I fired about another 20 to 25 rounds at the same rock and hit it "almost" every time. Whoa!
Old October 29, 2002, 12:33 PM   #2
sjg26

The only thing better........

than MY Beretta 92 (Border Marshall version) is my Beretta in my Coronado Bomber. Weather is finally getting nippy(and jacket friendly) here in PA - the 92 hides beautifully in the conceal pockets. Thanks again George for your efforts on the group leather purchase!!!!
Old November 1, 2002, 08:43 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus