The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 20, 2000, 05:49 PM   #1
Godspeed

I have decided to get into trap shooting. A few friends and I practiced the other day with some hand thrown clays and it was a blast. (Pun intended)
I got my cabellas catalogue the other day and they have Seller & Bellot ammo for $45 for 250 rounds available in everything from #4 up to #8. Which should I buy for beginner trap shooting????? I have a benelli Nova with an 18.5" slug barrel. (yes I know not the perfect trap gun, maybe I'll buy another barrel later)

Thanks for your input.

------------------
Best Regards,
Godspeed
Old October 20, 2000, 09:19 PM   #2
PJR

Either #8 or #7-1/2 are the usual shot sizes for trap. Larger pellets are usually not allowed in trap.

I've used some of the S&B ammo and it's pretty good. The shotgun ammo is a little dirtier than the Remington, Winchester or Federal target loads but it breaks the targets as well as most. Their .223 Remington FMJ is my practice ammo of choice (when I'm too lazy to reload) for my varmint rifle and it shoots almost as well as match ammo.
Old October 21, 2000, 01:18 AM   #3
Arizona Eric

Winchester promotional ammo in 7 1/2 is often on sale at Wally-World. 7 1/2 is probably what you want.
Old October 21, 2000, 06:39 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Check your local gun shops and Sporting emporiums for specials. Good deals sometimes, I picked up 5 boxes of Federal target loads in a 5 pk for less than $15 if memory serves.

8s and 7 1/2s are what's used most for trap. And while that shortie may not be the ideal trap gun, have fun and %^*( those who don;t like it.
Old October 21, 2000, 07:16 AM   #5
old man

As I recall shot sizes larger than 7 1/2, are not permitted in either trap or skeet. Eights would be preferable for 16 yard shooting and the 7 1/2's for handicap shooting.
Old October 21, 2000, 07:54 AM   #6
K80Geoff

Some of the really cheap loads are not the best shells to use for trap. The remington promotional loads for instance use very soft shot that works fine at skeet but not very good for the longer shots you have at trap. Ditto with some of the Winchester game loads.

The best cheapie loads are the Wall Mart Federal value packs. Good hard shot and a decent wad. If you can find the standard Winchester and Remington target loads spend the extra money, they do make a difference and the hulls last much longer if you start to reload.

Geoff Ross
Old October 21, 2000, 11:16 AM   #7
DaMan

Godspeed, that Nova slug barrel..... does it accept choke tubes? The reason I asked, is because if it doesn't, you won't have much fun shooting regulation trap with improved cyl. or cylinder choked slug barrel.

I'd recommend skeet. It's much better practice when it comes to "social use" of a shotgun. Get some 1 1/8 oz. loads of #9 loaded with 3 dram equiv. or less.

#9 or #8 are also best for informal hand thrown or machine thrown clay birds when your shooting with your buds. If your Nova is cyl. choked, I'd stick with #9.

I looked over the specs on the Nova, and it looks like a really nice gun! Have fun!

Regards! DaMan

Old October 22, 2000, 12:11 AM   #8
Oldlightning

Greetings from Texas. My favorite trap load are the 1 and an 1/8 ounce Remington STS Target loads. They are generally cheaper than the time-honored AA Win trap loads, and their slick green hulls reload very nicely, crimp great and last longer than the AA hull. I load a fast 1 oz. for trap, using 7.5 shot, Claybuster wad and Royal Scot D over a Win 209. 1200 f.p.s. and flat, dense patterns.
As far as a gun for trap, you can't play tennis with a golf club. While almost any gun can be pressed into service as an informal trap gun, a serious shooter wouldn't dream of using a Nova or any other field gun. A trap gun is purpose-built for the game at hand, and believe me, to shoot trap well, you gotta have one.
Good choices for an entry level trap gun are the early Browning BT-99's, and the Ithaca/SKB Century Trap. Remington also offered the 870 Competition Trap model, these are occasionally seen available at 250-500 bucks. Figure on spending about 750 and up to get into a decent gun.
Once you get into the clays game a little further, you will learn about why you need a specialized gun to shoot well and consistantly, and exactly what you need in your gun. Good Luck, OL

------------------
This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! - Adolf Hitler, 1935