The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 12, 2010, 08:49 AM   #1
REL1203

Remington 11-87 Slug Barrel or not???

So I have a new Remington 11-87 with a 28" that i just got i plan to use for Skeet/Trap and a buddy of mine that I told said he sold his 11-87 a year or so ago and just came across an extra barrel and said I could have it if I wanted. Of coarse I said yes since the barrel was new. Once he gave it to me, and I saw it, it looks like a slug barrel but I cant tell for sure. Its MUCH MUCH shorter than min, has the full on Deer rifle sights, but it still has a choke system in it and is smooth inside (not rifled)... Its not marked slug on the barrel (but does say for Remington 11-87 use only, 3" shell max, ect....

Any ideas on what use/type this barrel is?

Looks like this one, probably a little shorter though
Old July 12, 2010, 09:06 AM   #2
rantingredneck

It's a deer barrel to be used with lead slugs using a smoothbore choke (IC is what they ship with new) or with sabot slugs with a rifled choke (which they also ship with new). It also makes a dandy turkey barrel with a turkey choke, and does a good job for HD with an IC or Mod choke installed.

One of the best barrels out there for the 11-87 or 870 and they are sought after and a little pricey. Nice gift! I paid close to 200.00 for mine including the shipping.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old July 12, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3
REL1203

Are there any type of markings on the Barrel that I can confirm this with as well?
Old July 12, 2010, 11:21 AM   #4
zippy13

This smooth barrel has an advantage over the rifled sabot barrel in that it will happily shoot conventional slugs (cheaper than sabots), buck shot and bird shot. As, rantingredneck noted, they are good for deer and turkeys. Also, you might use the short barrel set-up as a home defense gun. What sort of choke selection do you get with it?
Old July 12, 2010, 12:03 PM   #5
REL1203

Zippy, i left my choke wrench somewhere, so I didnt get a chance to take the choke out to see what it was, thats probably a good place to start. The inside looks perfectly smooth still, so really was a new barrel.
Old July 12, 2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Yep shot for turkey blind and slug for deer where a rifle sight is highly desired. I have both scoped and rifle sighted barrels and in bad weather I prefer the open sights. Makes the gun a little handier to carry and quicker on target. Nice shotgun by the way. Nice friend too, thank him by inviting him over for a game feed.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 12, 2010, 03:31 PM   #7
rantingredneck

REL1203, the barrel isn't marked where you can confirm this other than the gauge and chamber information. It probably also says "not intended for light loads" though depending on age it may not.

Here is the same barrel in the premier blued finish. I can't find the SP finish anywhere right now online. May be out of production.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...m_campaign=649

Old July 12, 2010, 03:32 PM   #8
rantingredneck

In all likelihood if the barrel is new and unused and the choke installed appears smooth it's an IC. They ship with both IC and Rifled chokes when new.

Old July 12, 2010, 05:13 PM   #9
zippy13

Here's a link to the Remington Country Store for chokes and a wrenches. LGS prices may be lower; but, this is a starting point.