The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2009, 01:37 AM   #1
Nomo4me

204 & Reloder 10-X preliminary test: Now what?

Data:
All groups are:
5 rounds
100 yards
Federal brass - Lee Collet neck sized
Federal 205 primer
Reloader 10-X powder
Shot from my Savage Precision Carbine in .204

I'm not going to experiment further with the Nosler 32gr bullets I have as I like the BC of the 40 grainers.
My intent is to load up 10-15 rounds of the groups circled and test them again and hopefully settle on a keeper load. But I'm new at this and would value input from the old hands on how to proceed from here.
I own a chronograph but won't drag it out until I settle on a keeper load - and then just to satisfy a curiousity and establish trajectory. The loads circled are hot enough that velocities should be just fine.

Old November 1, 2009, 03:26 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The Sierras obviously are something your gun likes, and I expect they gave you a good deal of satisfaction, and that you are now thoroughly hooked on reloading as a hobby. It's funny how the Bergers string vertically in the middle loads, while the Hornady's string horizontally when the they aren't happy. Something interesting is going on with the barrel timing. What you might want to do is take the lightest loads and fiddle with seating depth to see if you can find a group tightening COL, then work the powder charge up again looking for the tightest group?

The other thing I noted is that 0.7 grain steps are big enough to skip right over a sweet spot in a case with the capacity of the .204. Indeed, half a grain is pretty standard for the larger .30 caliber cases. I always use 0.3 grain steps. Have a look at Dan Newberry's OCW site for a good systematic load development system. A book of reloading principles that is worth your time is the Precision Shooting Reloading Guide. It is 15 years old now, but has a lot of detail that you might find interesting.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 1, 2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Tomas204

I love reloading my .204 ,my gun really loves a 45 grn Hornady ,I load these formy Ruger M77`s 25.3 grns RL15 primers are Federals GM205M Remmington Brass ,I have used these loads to drop Prong Horns can get the tightest groups of any of my guns ,every gun loves diffrent bullets ,I `am curious what are you going to use your gun for targets varmints ???? ,I use mine/Favorite the heavy barreled which is a heavy gun ,I have one of the compact M77 which also likes the ,45grn Hornady bullets ,I have tried the Bergers and my guns hated them ,have not tried the Noslers or sierras ,I`am really lucky to have a brother who we share loads and info frequintly even though we are 1200 miles away ,hey thanks for the info on that powder I may try it one day when I get unhappy with RL15Oh BTW I take baby stepps in +or - on my loads ,I happen to be very fortunate because my range is right on my front portch ,soI can load and shoot ready weather permited small increments is important ,for these guns JMHO and the books suggested are good reads .............. Tight Groups Tomas
Old November 1, 2009, 12:44 PM   #4
Nomo4me

Thanks for the replies. I'm wanting to do some ground squirrel and PD trips next spring but I do enjoy playing at the bench as a means unto itself.

I loaded these rounds on my Co-ax press, dispensing the powder with a Chargemaster combo and seating with a forster benchrest die.
But my goal is to develop "best grade" loads on this equipment averaging 1/4 moa (in this rifle) that might be duplicated on my LNL AP to average 3/8 to 1/2 moa. I have a Forster neck bushing /bump die on order toward this purpose.
So I was disappointed to find today that Reloader 10-X won't meter consistently through the Hdy powder measure atop my LNL. 25 gr to 25.7 gr is what I got.

So I'm kind of back to the drawing board on powder as I want to use one that will be +/- .1 gr through the Hdy dispenser. I had hoped to stay away from ball powders because I have 3000 of the 205 primers on hand.

Ah well, I'm the type that enjoys the journey more than the destination anyway
Old November 1, 2009, 01:38 PM   #5
Tomas204

NoMo where do you live ?? and why not ball powers Im not sure what size the powder is the 10X try the RL 19 I use my RCBS computer trickle charge it is a god send for getting the powders out to the right amounts try the bigger Bullets they shoot very good fr both my brother and I we have diffrent guns
Old November 2, 2009, 02:13 AM   #6
Nomo4me

From Utah, and profile modded to that effect.

Because my Hdy powder measure won't drop 10-X consistently I'm wanting to find a ball powder that offers the following in the 204 case with 40 grain bullets for bolt gun use:

Good Velocity
Decent temperature stability
Clean burning
Noted for accuracy

I've got BLC-2, 335, 2230 and X-Terminator on hand and can test with them, but I'm not certain of their temp stability. Maybe I need to consider establishing separate loads for Fall/Winter & Spring/Summer shooting? I don't really anticipate shooting much during the Winter months so it may be a moot issue.

Looking forward to further replies
Old November 5, 2009, 07:41 PM   #7
wild willy

I just loaded 150 .204 with 10x on my rockchucker I have a LNL but I use it for handguns 10x is one of the best metering stick powders. I would have thought the Hornady measure would have been closer mine is very good with 2400, 4227, unique and several others. You don't leave powder in it for a long time do you ? Hornady for whatever reason paints the inside of their measures you leave powder in it softens the paint and the powder sticks at least mine did
Old November 6, 2009, 10:31 PM   #8
Nomo4me

I haven't left powder in the measure. The red LNL finish is a powder coat (melted polyester resin). I wonder if powder will soften it as it does a solvent based paint finish.