The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 25, 2018, 12:08 PM   #1
Chainsaw.

Mannlicher Steyr 1895??

A local shop has a mannlicher steyr carbine 1895 in 8x56r for $200. Im trying to decide if I should snatch it up but I see prices from $150 to $800. Obviously those prices must reflect more/less collectible rifles. Should I buy it?
Old May 27, 2018, 07:59 AM   #2
kozak6

Do you reload? Ammo is expensive and difficult to find.
Old May 27, 2018, 09:13 AM   #3
eastbank

if your not a collector, no.
Old May 27, 2018, 06:07 PM   #4
sigshepardo

Thats a good price. I regret not buying the only one I've seen come through my local shop. It ended up selling for over 300 on gunbroker.

Ammo is kinda pricey but if you want to collect then go for it.
Old May 27, 2018, 09:29 PM   #5
johnm1

If you do decide to buy it, check for a sticky bolt pull. A ‘nub’ on the extractor holds the bolt head in the open position on the rearward/forward bolt travel. If the ‘nub’ is worn the spring loaded bolt head tries to close and rubs on the side of the receiver making the bolt pull hard. There isn’t a simple repair and replacements are hard to find and not cheap. And there is no guarantee that the replacement extractor will not have the same problem. Sometimes you can ‘bend’ the extractor and get it to hold. Sometimes it breaks when you do that. Make sure you get the enblock clip along with the rifle. You don’t want to single load and have the extractor ride over the rim on this rifle. Always want to use the Enblock. They aren’t that hard to find.

Almost All of these rifles/carbines were refurbished by one country or another. Most rifles were cut down to carbine length and a banded front sight was added to the shortened barrel. A true carbine will have the front sight as part of the barrel and no band. Oddly enough, the long rifle always had a front sight band. But long rifles are fairly rare. There are countless variations of stocks and the armory modified stocks to by filling in old sling swivel locations.

The best website for information is http://www.hungariae.com/

$200 sounds hig to me but I see them at that price often. Saw one true carbine in a pawn shop here in Mesa for a $400 asking price. It will sit a long time at that price.

Privy is still making it. $20/box of 20.

Interesting things to look for are the Austrian/Hungarian acceptance date on the barrel. Sometimes obliterated by the ‘S’ or ‘H’ used to show the caliber change to 8x56R. Many were sent to Bulgaria and have serial numbers on the bolts to show it. Some spent time in Czechoslovakia and will have an Czech property marks as well.

It is a bugger to shoot in the carbine length.

Edited to clarify that the extractor holds the ‘bolt head’ in the open position.

Last edited by johnm1; May 27, 2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:42 AM   #6
Chainsaw.

JohnM that is some great info, thank you so much. I was hoping to get up there friday but due to camping planning ran out of time. It certainly sounds like this one is a reman, Ill get up there (45min drive) this week and have a looksee.
Old May 29, 2018, 09:04 PM   #7
Archie

M1895 carbine

I have two. One Steyr, one Budapest.

They are fairly cheap, considering they are unknown and untrusted AND ammo has been a problem. Privi Partizan Unice (PPU) makes new, boxer primed, brass cases and loaded ammo. Check around for a net dealer.

It is manually operated as you probably know. The cartridge will take any game animal in the contiguous forty-eight states, and most in Alaska and Canada if careful. Does recoil a bit, but not worse than a full loaded .30-06 in an equal weight rifle.

If you cannot find the Mannlicher type en bloc loading clips (one or two will probably suffice) the carbine is a single shot. The 'clip' actually becomes part of the magazine and the carbine will not function as a repeater without one.

The issue sights are fair, made to use on enemies of the realm, not targets. Fast to use, but not as precise as others.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old May 30, 2018, 04:10 PM   #8
KROIL

I have an austrian M95. Banded front sight. Xlint shape - even the bore. Purchaced the dies and load for it. Graf's carry the brass and bullets and loaded ammo for it. As my eyes dont do well with iron sights I dropped a S&K scout scope.mount and a EER scope. Its still not a target rifle but not bad accuracy wise. With good loads it is quite a thumper - which is why it also wears a slip on recoil pad. Mine also came with a bayonette.
Old May 30, 2018, 08:12 PM   #9
44caliberkid

If you get it buy a Past recoil pad. That light rifle and steel buttplate are a hard hitting' bitch. I've still got a bunch of the Nazi marked surplus ammo in the clips.
Old June 1, 2018, 12:27 AM   #10
emcon5

There is a pretty good thread on Calguns covering the M95.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=694573

As mentioned, http://www.hungariae.com/ is also very good, and a lot more detailed.

I have a Austrian M95/30 Stutzen carbine that was rebarreled when it was converted in 1935 in Austria. It probably ended up in Bulgaria, as it has the old style Schritt rear sight, which is evidently pretty common, but there is no way to tell for sure. Shooting original WW2 Austrian and Nazi ammo is punishing. It is a fairly hot round and a light rifle with s steel butt plate. Neat little rifle though.

If you want to know way more than you ever thought you would want to, Othias and May covered the rifle here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xeeE1E9Wwk

And the Carbine here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M820hu5rg6o

Last edited by emcon5; June 1, 2018 at 12:33 AM.