The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 13, 2018, 08:41 PM   #26
PPGMD

Strange because I never said overstablization didn't exist, simply that it isn't a concern. The type of people that it is a concern for already know about it, because the know enough about shooting rifles to know that one rifle can't both shoot super heavy bullets (which aren't stupid), and super light bullets (note I didn't call them stupid even though they are specialized bullets I have no use for).
Old May 13, 2018, 08:49 PM   #27
armednfree

North Georgia. Hills and woods. For coyote no kind of heavy barrel is the ticket. That's the same type of place I hunt in down in Southern Ohio. Best is a fast handling rifle, none better than the CZ 527, and a low power scope like a 2-7x.
Old May 13, 2018, 09:50 PM   #28
Troy800

Hard to go wrong with a Tikka. My daughters Tikka T3 243 is a tack driver.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:59 AM   #29
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
A Tikka will most likely be the most accurate, but not under $500. At $400 the Ruger Predator is hard to beat. The original version uses 4 round rotary magazines, but they also make a newer version that takes AR magazines. The 5 or 10 round mags don't protrude enough to be a problem, but 20 and 30 round mags can be used.

The Predator comes with a 22" medium weight threaded barrel. If you want a more compact version look at the Ranch rifle. Same medium weight barrel, but 16".

I will eventually have one of these, but can't decide which one. I have the older versions and a newer version that takes AI magazines in 308.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26944.html

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26965.html
I have this Ruger Predator. It is nothing gorgeous to look at, but with my hand loads, it is a shooter! I have 60 grain Nosler hand loads that group inside of a nickel. I love it!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 15, 2018, 06:21 PM   #30
konstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by disseminator View Post
Bolt gun says Tradition, Tradition says wood stock and control round feed action, that leaves you one choice: CZ 527 A little more than you want to spend, but worth it IMO.
Almost al the "budget" under $500 rifles come with ugly synthetic stocks now. I hate them when I first handle the rifle. I am thankful for them when I am climbing up the tree stand, or sit there in cold and rain, or when it's bouncing in its holster on my ATV...

Boyd's makes good stocks if you must have a wood one and it would likely be a much better quality stock then you would get from the manufacturer... Having said that, my Savage 110 came with a gorgeous stock (7 years ago) and I'm not knocking CZ down either, they are very fine guns.
Old May 16, 2018, 04:32 AM   #31
stagpanther

I see a request for good shooting varmint/coyote gun at first--but then something for banging gongs at longer distance. I'd get something which the barrels can be swapped out easily on.
Old May 16, 2018, 05:20 PM   #32
Wendyj

Boyd stocks are an option at the bench. Swap out for hunting.
Old May 16, 2018, 07:08 PM   #33
Don Fischer

Which brand of bolt action rifle you buy isn't going to mean a whole lot. There are those that couldn't hit their butt with both hands. And just because your rifle cartridge will handle a certain wt bullet does not mean it will handle it well. You want to handle the bullet's weight's your talking about you should be looking at fast twist. I don't think many bolt action's come with it. Depending on what you'll use it for mainly could well determine what you actually need. An off the rack 223 in a bolt action I believe does not come with a barrel with the twist to handle those heavy bullet's. You might consider stepping up a bit to 24 or 25 cal for heavier bullet's.

Last edited by Don Fischer; May 16, 2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old May 17, 2018, 08:12 AM   #34
Tallest

In my opinion and experience, a 1 in 8" twist is fast enough for up to 75 grain bullets, and has no negative effect on 55 and 60 grain bullets. A lot of resources say you need slower for 55, but I have two .223 rifles with 1 in 8" ROT and both of them group MOA or better. One, which seems almost to be a magic barrel, shoots beautiful groups with 40 grain up 75 grain bullets.

I know, I know... every gun is different and I probably got lucky. But when you have a caliber with as many twist rates as .224 has, you're fine tuning to minor improvement percentages. And I would assert that the detriment of over-stabilization is far less common, or practically applicable, than some would have us think.

Just my two cents.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 23, 2018, 12:28 PM   #35
jackstrawIII

Quote:
Best is a fast handling rifle, none better than the CZ 527, and a low power scope like a 2-7x.
Hit the nail on the head. I shoot 40 grain bullets in mine. True 1/2" groups of 5 shots all the time in a light and handy package. Can't beat it.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:31 PM   #36
Picher

I'd get the Tikka T3 Lite, but with the standard twist. It will shoot 55 grain rounds perfectly. It's the only rifle I own that didn't need any bedding work to achieve half-inch or better groups.

You could cheap out on the scope if necessary to stay within budget, but you'll be very happy with the Tikka.
Old May 24, 2018, 02:09 PM   #37
Fishbed77

Quote:
My choice would be the Savage 11VT, from Dicks Sporting Goods/Field And Stream.
I hope by now, everyone is smart enough not to spend one red cent at Dick's or Field and Stream stores.