The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 24, 2018, 08:54 PM   #1
Acenes

Question on double barrel BP guns

I'm not really a muzzle loader guy so please forgive my ignorance and correct me where I err...

My question is on double barrel muzzle loaders and how they are/were constructed specifically the tang and breech plugs. This would apply to any length barrel or ignition system.

I believe in most cases of a single barrel gun the breech plug acts as the tang as well and is threaded into the barrel quite simply. Okay, but on a double barrel gun which still has only one tang but two plugs, how do the plugs attach to the tang and how is it assembled?

This is one of those things I just never thought about before and now am curious about but couldn't really find anything on. A little insight would be appreciated as this is outside my bailiwick.
Old April 24, 2018, 09:04 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Twin lugs soldered together to tang unit. If you want a lengthy but good read pick up W. W. Greener The Gun and Its Development.
Old April 24, 2018, 09:10 PM   #3
fourbore

Some (many) modern muzzle loading shot guns use a hooked breach. You can lift the barrels out leaving the tang in the stock.
Old April 25, 2018, 10:01 AM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
Some (many) modern muzzle loading shot guns use a hooked breach. You can lift the barrels out leaving the tang in the stock.
Originals are that way also.
Old April 25, 2018, 08:20 PM   #5
Acenes

Makes sense. Thanks guys!