The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 6, 2018, 05:57 PM   #1
engel556

Help! Military transition programs

First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong subforum to post on -- I couldn't find one that really fit. I know there are a lot of current and former military on here, and I'm hoping someone may be able to help or point me in the right direction. Looking to help veterans out!

My mother (HR for a national company) recently hired a retiring soldier who told her about a transition program. Basically, he reports for drill/role call/whatever it's called and PT in the morning, then goes to work for her for the rest of the day. It's a six-month long program, the retiring soldier gets his base pay and military benefits, but has six months to train in a civilian position before his contract is complete and he retires.

That soldier also mentioned that there's a transition program for "21-24 year olds." I'm repeating what my mother told me, but the soldier said he didn't know about either program until very recently. He also said they were new programs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get more information about these programs? My mother's company loves veterans and wants to hire as many as possible, but she hasn't been able to get any information from the AG Corps or the Department of Labor. She just wants to get her company on the list since they have 31 locations across the nation, and staff a huge number of veterans.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm not talking about the TAPS program.

edit: I don't know if these programs are specific to the Army or are available to members of all branches. The retiring soldier is Army.
Old April 6, 2018, 06:09 PM   #2
rwilson452

Your local military recruiting station may be able to help point you in the right direction.
Old April 6, 2018, 06:24 PM   #3
engel556

I talked to both the Army and the Marine Corps recruiters in my town, and neither had heard of any programs like that (other than TAPS). I've perused the internet and can't find any information, so this is my hail mary lol. Hopefully someone here knows something about one or both of those programs!
Old April 6, 2018, 10:07 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I heard of something like it while I was still in (Air Force).
I believe it may have, somehow, been tied to the GI Bill.
I'll ask around.
Old April 6, 2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I would suggest that your mother -- officially, in her work capacity -- contact the U.S. congressional representative in whose district the company falls to ask for official information about such programs.

I'm a veteran, but a Vietnam veteran. I'm certainly not up to speed on everything that's going on, but I am a member if VFW and I read all their publications and e-mail announcements. I haven't encountered any mention of either program you describe. To be honest (and I'm willing to be proven wrong) I think it's BS. Remember, the military ia short-handed. There are people whose terms of service have ended, and they're not allowed to leave because of "stop loss." In the face of this, we're supposed to believe that the military is going to pay people for six months when they're working for private companies?

The notion strains credibility.

To be honest, to me it smells like a guy who wants to get the job but who likes to sleep late in the morning.
Old April 6, 2018, 10:28 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

A friend just got back to me.
He's still looking for the name of the program, but...
For the Air Force, at least, it's some kind of transition program for Guard and Reserve personnel. It's not applicable to active duty.
Old April 6, 2018, 11:57 PM   #7
squidmp

Check with your local VFW and A.C.A.P. office as programs like this are installation specific. Shortly after I retired, a welding certification/apprenticeship program was started at Ft. Campbell. Do not know if it is still going or or not, but again, what is offered to those separating and/or retiring are locality specific.
Old April 6, 2018, 11:58 PM   #8
squidmp

P.S. And yes this was prior to the Soldier's actually getting out on Uncle Sam's dime. Do not know how they pull it off though!
Old April 7, 2018, 12:05 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
... it's some kind of transition program for Guard and Reserve personnel. It's not applicable to active duty.
That makes more sense.
Old April 7, 2018, 09:14 PM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by engel556
First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong subforum to post on -- I couldn't find one that really fit.
There’s no appropriate subforum for subjects like this. Non-firearms-related threads are off-topic for TFL and therefore posting them is against TFL rules.
Old April 8, 2018, 11:51 AM   #11
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard
Non-firearms-related threads are off-topic for TFL and therefore posting them is against TFL rules.
I've lost count of the number of times I have refuted this type of blanket statement.

What was said above is absolutely correct for every sub-forum on TFL, except for this one. In This Sub-Forum we may discuss ANY law or ANY civil rights issue. Such issues DO NOT have to be about firearms.

Because we ARE a firearms centric board, many, if not most, discussions do revolve around firearms issues.

That being said, the topic of specific programs the military may or may not have (for transition from military life back to civilian life) is not a discussion about laws or about civil rights.

Closed for being off topic.
Closed Thread