The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 18, 2009, 10:15 PM   #26
HuntAndFish

Quote:
However, without this thread turning into a discourse of ideological conflict, has any member run into difficulties in securing CCW permits in a MAY State? Have you ever been denied a permit unjustly?... or experienced unnecessary hassles in applying for or obtaining a CCW permit?... in a State that MAY or may not be obligated to follow the clear intent of the Second Amendment?
I have. I used to live in Cedar Rapids Iowa, Linn County. I filled out the paperwork and attempted to sign up for the range portion at the local Izaak Walton range. The Sheriff's office returned my permit application along with a letter that specifically indicated that permits would not be issued without showing critical need. Since my need didn't rise to the level of taped phone calls or threating letters, I could not qualify for the permit in that county.

The Sheriff in a county to the north (blackhawk) did issue on a shall issue basis. Who was Sheriff of the county you lived in determined whether you could get a permit or not. I don't think it has changed much in the last decade either.

A permit issued in Iowa is good for the whole state, not just your county.

Last edited by HuntAndFish; November 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old November 18, 2009, 10:36 PM   #27
DanimalFL

Same here in Arkansas the state issues the permits Local Politicians have no say in the matter thank goodness !!
Old November 19, 2009, 06:38 AM   #28
blume357

Local sheriff having the say is a direct out come of the old

Jim Crow laws...

In a previous post some one mentions 'liberal gun law states'... and I agree true liberals (which I consider myself) would not limit gun ownership or where and when a citizen could carry same. In fact, since I have been on this list for over 4 years I've learned that the assumption that one is a felon and they should not have the right to own a gun are not the same. Our political climate in this country is making more and more citizens 'convicted felons' we are continuing to create more and more second class citizens with second class rights... because a majority of these folks are from the poorer classes and often a minority this goes unheeded because money is power.

And that is what concealed carry permits are about too... if you can afford the time and money to get a permit then you can usually get one in a lot of states. If you are poor, working two jobs and struggling to feed your family then you probably don't have time or the extra cash to get the permit. Even more so, in the 'may issue' states if you have enough money then you can create the political clout to influence the sheriff to issue you a permit... it's just takes more money than in a 'shall issue' state.

Last edited by blume357; November 20, 2009 at 07:56 AM.